• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has MOVED from their home state ? How difficult was it for you?

I used to own 4 acres right above Arrowhead Head Point. Down near Branson. I have a pic somewhere of me sitting on a curb in Branson before there WAS a "Branson" tourist tap. Loved the rolling hills and deep valleys. Much like VT.
Wow!! I had no idea. Branson is very nice. Thanks for sharing!! Now I understand where you live.

It snows there though, right?

Some years we get a few inches and the next year we might get a few six inch snow falls. Stays a few days, maybe a week and melts away.

Here's my take on Missouri I lived there 37 years, in the N W and S W parts. Always in the country, but I have been to the cities and understand them. I have seen them, thats why I don't live there.

Lots of people move to the rural areas of Mo, because land is so much cheaper there than where they are from. Like anywhere, the closer to the city, the high it is. But they will also find that in general wages are likewise less. Some love the area, others sell out and are gone.
I have seen people retire to Northern Arkansas for decades. Similar deal.
Snow? like said, varies lot form year to year. Want cold and snow, get up to Ia. and Ne. Mo. is not a good snowmobile state in general IMO. Lots of people from up "North" like Mo. and Ar. because of the 4 seasons as they call it.
Ideal is a summer home and a winter home or maybe even a fall home!!!!!!! lol

This state has become a festering asshole with delusional people in charge.
Yep just like other places, that seem to hate Californians
"infesting their state", many of them aren't Californians either
it's just as infested with transients, transplants & people from other states,
north, south, east of it, most all moved here from somewhere else TOO
many are from east of the Mississippi, today there's very, very few are real
Native Californians anymore...

Last edited:
I know very little about Texas except that I LOVE the independent spirit.
We looked at Zillow real estate listings of properties in Texas over the weekend. It was not so good. I did see some areas of green but too many lacked trees. I didn't like the houses we saw either. I don't want to mention specifics for fear of offending members here that may like the types of places that we do not. We obviously are not ready to move today, it was just an exercise in what can be bought for certain amounts of money. The properties in Tennessee though.....Holeeeee Crap, there were some impressive places there!
Not going to offend me about that! Heck, if I could have built on my lot, I wouldn't have built the house that's on it but it was already here. Man thing about here is that it's fairly high ground and there was no garage so that allowed me to build what I wanted. The house was ok but not my first pick but liked the fact that the lot was a 1/2 acre and could build a large shop and the price wasn't too crazy. Just wish it would have been bigger lol.

Not going to offend me about that! Heck, if I could have built on my lot, I wouldn't have built the house that's on it but it was already here. Man thing about here is that it's fairly high ground and there was no garage so that allowed me to build what I wanted. The house was ok but not my first pick but liked the fact that the lot was a 1/2 acre and could build a large shop and the price wasn't too crazy. Just wish it would have been bigger lol.
I don't think 1/2 acre would do me anymore.

I don't think 1/2 acre would do me anymore.
Many years ago I found 20 acres up in Buffalo Tx that had a young pecan grove on it and the price was very right. Wife didn't want to buy it because it was too far away from the kids and hospitals. Well, now she shares a wall with the youngest in a 50 year old townhouse that's owned by someone that 'used' to be her best friend and lives almost across the street from the worse hospital in the county....one that she has always despised. I'm sure she's happy though.

Only way to be totally satisfied usually, is buy the kind of land where you want it, and build to suit yourself.
Back when I had made the decision to leave S W Ga. I went down to the small town library and found some great books on the different parts of the country I had never been. Wonderful pics of the country sides. I had a new horse trailer bought to pickup in Ft Worth then made a big loop North as far as Ia, and East thru Wi. and In. and back home. I knew then here were places in this world I wanted to live and others not.
You do not see the country from Interstates and you do not get a feel for the locals unless you have time to actually spend time with the locals!!!!!
If a person has a place in mind he thinks he would like that is country property yes he can look at all the computer generated listings many are totally BS, but the real way is find a GOOD r/e agent that has 10 plus years experience knows the real market and values, and will truthfully educate you in short order.

If I bought my home today I’d be paying about $7500 in taxes for a 1700 ft Condo. Orange County, CA. As I bought it many years ago we only pay $2500 because of Proposition 13. Taxes are fixed at the value at which you purchased your home. Makes it difficult to move if you’ve been in your home for a long time and you want to stay in CA.

Tell me about it..... My annual property taxes are under $600.... I have a 1500 sf house with a garage & a small shop on 1/3 acre.... I'd love to leave but between prop 13 & Momma I'm not going anywhere....

Move out of state.
I'm looking forward to visiting other states to see what my money can buy.

If in a second marriage, stay as ******* far away from the “kids as possible. I can’t live east of the Mississippi. It’s supposed to be 55 plus here where I live. Deadbeat adult children masquerading as care givers are everywhere. Then there are the ones who convince grandma to sell and move close so they can have a built in babysitter. Often some hot godforsaken part of California.

Honestly, I’d prefer to pay the sales tax on a home when purchased, you stay in the home for any length of time, the sales tax paid up front will be less than paying property taxes for 30+ years.

We have been. It is like window shopping!
I am the type that really likes to be "there" to fully appreciate a place.

We have been. It is like window shopping!
I am the type that really likes to be "there" to fully appreciate a place.

In person is the only way.... A few years back we were considering moving.... Looked at allot of houses on line.... Toured a few in person... What the pictures show rarely represents reality....

I'm in California and it has been terminally infected by the stupid virus. It's not the place but the idiots that live here that makes me want to relocate. It used to be awesome but now it sucks. No respect, entitlement, one sided thinking etc. It's like the people are living in make believe land. Some prick even had the nerve to ask me to take down the American flag last week. That request was denied. It was not like this when I was a kid.

I'm in California and it has been terminally infected by the stupid virus. It's not the place but the idiots that live here that makes me want to relocate. It used to be awesome but now it sucks. No respect, entitlement, one sided thinking etc. It's like the people are living in make believe land. Some prick even had the nerve to ask me to take down the American flag last week. That request was denied. It was not like this when I was a kid.

LOL I've been looking at installing a 15" flag pole... My little flag isn't enough..... As usual momma doesn't want me to piss off the idiots...

Auto Transport Service
Back