• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has MOVED from their home state ? How difficult was it for you?

I have 5.25 acres in the county just outside a small town, I have 2 40x60 shops and a small barn along with a 3000 sqft house. I love the place, I love the terrain, but I hate the state politics which is only getting worse. The problem is that I have way too much **** to move, I'd have to sell a lot of it and I am just not ready to do that. I think many of us across the country are in a similar situation; don't really want to move but circumstances beyond our control is pushing us in that direction.

I have 5.25 acres in the county just outside a small town, I have 2 40x60 shops and a small barn along with a 3000 sqft house. I love the place, I love the terrain, but I hate the state politics which is only getting worse. The problem is that I have way too much **** to move, I'd have to sell a lot of it and I am just not ready to do that. I think many of us across the country are in a similar situation; don't really want to move but circumstances beyond our control is pushing us in that direction.

The thing is, stupid appears to be spreading so fast is moving really going to accomplish anything??? I can't comprehend how quickly the stupid has spread in the past few years.....

Last edited:
IMO stupid seems to be infectious, many people are spouting crap and talking about things they have absolutely no idea about. Politicians are playing to the lowest common denominator and many organizations are seizing the opportunity to do stupid **** because they can.

All this said, perhaps naively I think that the US has a way of righting itself. I don't really have any indications that this is happening or will happen other than the huge turn out for DT, also I am starting to see more and more minorities coming out for DT which is relatively new.

It is a LOT better if you turn off the radio and the TV as well as tune out of the political forums.
Trouble is, tuning out does not stop the crazy from spreading. This is my own struggle....I don't like being barraged with bad news all the time but I think that if I turn a blind eye to it, it could get out of control when maybe I could have done something had I known of it earlier.

I completely agree, I have really began to see how the news not only slants issues but drives agendas and narratives. I don't watch any of the left media (CNN, MSNBC, etc.) but even so the narrative is not only depressing but solicitous erring on completely inaccurate. I've come to believe that all media like all politicians are much more concerned with making ratings than actually reporting the news.

Look, I am not an optimist by any stretch but I do believe everything is going on now it not going to work out as the fringe groups think it will. I personally think that the silent majority it going to speak loudly at some point (.. read November)...

I think so too. The sane and sensible majority are not out there burning businesses and stealing things, they are working and trying to take care of their families.

The news has always driven the goals ofthen country ( the rih and pwerful). It is just now so darn blatant!!

My opinion is the fewer people that live in an area the better. The more self succufient these people are the better.

I thought maybe this covid crap wold make people wakep and attempt to be stronger people, no just stand there with there hands out wanting free chit from everywhere.

Sales tax on real estate sales ????? wow!!!! I have to laugh.

It’s a lot of work moving cross country. Movers are all like cockroaches !

It’s not all about the money! It’s about quality of life too!

Yes, sales tax on real estate. Why? Glad you asked. Here in depleted brain land of California, property taxes are 1% of purchase price or assessed value, plus any local school taxes, bonds etc.. So for simplicity, a home is purchased for $300k, property taxes per year are $3k plus the local stuff. Let’s say that equals $500 a year.
That’s $3500 per year, but wait there’s more! Your property tax can increase a full 2% a year, which most counties do to get YOUR money! So that 2% increase is now $3570 and so on forever!! If you just paid the sales tax at 7.5% on that $300k you would’ve paid $21750 for a grand total of $321750. When you have paid your mortgage off or paid in cash, you home could not be taken by the county for failure to pay property taxes.

In California, you NEVER own your home outright!!

So let’s takes the $3500 a year and add that up for a 30year mortgage, that’s $105k. So yeah, I’m all for sales tax on a home purchase! Also, that $105k doesn’t include the 2% your property tax can go up a year, also doesn’t include if home values fall and the county reassess your home value.

I admit I retired poor compared to many, wife still works her rural r/e business and says she will die working! Damn it cause she drags along me with every part of it!! lol
But here is my take.
Live where you find the best quality of life. This means something different to every body. But you also have to afford where you live, and taxes, political BS, and more enter into quality!
Retire and have NO debt. (Not talking about the guy that say, retires with millions in the bank, a monthly income of $10,000 per month and a mortgage of $4000.) Being debt free enables people of any age to be able to survive. if surviving is what is necessary. Survival is the first requirement in life!

I’m too young to retire so finding a job will be a big task. Been a electrician for 30+ yrs but I would like to make a change. We have been in our home 32 yrs and we wait till there’s a Pandemic to buy a new one! What great timing !:eek:

After reading some of these post's sure glad I don't live in California.
I have to deal with the heat in Florida. But, I'd rather have that.
Plus money goes real far.

After reading some of these post's sure glad I don't live in California.
I have to deal with the heat in Florida. But, I'd rather have that.
Plus money goes real far.
I'm just as glad to not live in Florida & the sweltering humidity, constant rain,
bimonthly tropical storms, LIGHTNING, downpours or annual hurricanes, floods,
also the spring breakers, all from the North & N. East etc.... :D
sorry, I'm just making a relevant point...

It's not all bad here, it's the real Sunshine state :)
really depends on where you live here, what you do & where you do it...
There really is 2 California's a 75% land is rural & 25% land mass is urban...
Many, most of the complainers (haters) live near or in city areas
(scumbag densely populated areas, ghettos, inner-shitty's, you really gotta' know your area, good & bad)
& many depend on their living in the cities, for a good wage,
many of them have to or they choose to commute & to live in a better area etc.

I live like 80-100 miles from the nearest freeway
I have no commute, rarely ever any "real" traffic,
tourist **** on holiday weekends...

It hasn't always been like, many bitch/complain about...
(not directed at our good members posting here)
Many of them, that are moving out too,
many of them aren't originally "from here" either,
many can't survive here, for many reasons...
Many partially because what all the god damn transients & transplants,
all those from north, south, east of here,
that came here, because of what California had to offer,
many of them are from "east of the Mississippi, north of the Ohio river valley"...

Many now leave here, because what they brought here,
they changed here & what many of people like them, transients & transplants,
did to this once great state...
Now they have/want to leave, because they (& many people like them)
can't afford it here, because of what they have changed, now they move
to somewhere else & infest/effect it now too...

Vicious cycles...

I actually wish 20 million would leave California...
I also wish the good hard working folks that actually contribute,
those that actually pay income & property taxes, wouldn't leave...
I'd be a far better place, like the place I was born & raised, that I know...

I have no problems making my money work for me,
I make it last, go far, even here, in rural California...
I was smart with my income, I'm certainly not rich, I survive & thrive just fine...
(most of Calif. is Rural or semi rural, all you hear about is mostly mass populated BS)

Lots of states have no state income tax, there's other issues instead...
Everywhere has it pluses & minuses...
Just like here, all give & take, good & bad...

Some areas are worse than others, the grass isn't always greener...
Well, Except in the summer time in California, grass, it's golden :poke:

I know a few that have moved, that don't regret the move, per-say
moved for family or work etc., but regret where they ended up & moved to...
It isn't always better somewhere else, just different...
Sometimes that's good & sometimes that's bad...

Can it be better here, yep !!
I think anyplace can be
is it screwed by politics ? yep !!
Like 17 or more states "are today" (poor corrupt political leadership)
very few places/states aren't immune for that **** today...

My property taxes are low in comparison
1% of org. purchase price & it's fixed, it doesn't fluctuate at all,
like some mentioned...

What I'm getting to, is it really depends on where you live...
Just some honest/real perspectives here, not hate or bias...

:soapbox:

Last edited:
Just stay away from the goddam leaching adult children. The Kids as they are called. By the time they get the Hellcat it will be wore out.

Just stay away from the goddam leaching adult children. The Kids as they are called. By the time they get the Hellcat it will be wore out.
I'll say one thing my kids it's hard to give them anything.

Home is where you hang your hat.

Where to live/retire? It's all about tradeoffs and personal preferences. There might be something that I might not even notice, or care about for that matter, but it would be something that you find intolerable. You and the Mrs should take some trips. Happy wife, happy life.

Anyway, you mentioned Texas and Tennessee... I think you would like:
(1) New Braunfels, Texas and the "Texas Hill Country" in general.
(2) Most parts of Tennessee, but not the Memphis area.
(3) East Texas

Maybe these for you and the Mrs:
(4) Alabama. In particular, Huntsville and northwards to the border with Tennessee.
(5) Vicksburg, Mississippi.
Interesting that you mention Huntsville. A buddy moved there awhile back to take a job with NASA. He likes it there.

Interesting that you mention Huntsville. A buddy moved there awhile back to take a job with NASA. He likes it there.
I good friend transferred from Huntsville to St Louis after the Chrysler instrument plant there closed. He said the weather in St Louis was less humid than in Huntsville, on one of our worst days. I asked he if he was serious, he said yes, this isn't bad at all. I thought I was going to die. He said less to no snow, more freezing rain. A lot of lakes for fishing and boating!!

Auto Transport Service
Back