• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is still rockin' a turntable?

The 901's where about 2years old and i got them for $500. A steal back in the day.
Yes! Great price on the 901s.
What I have taken away from a number of "sessions" with 901s and the equalizer that comes with them is that if you have a 1,000 watt amp, they can play very loud for a long time.

Yes! Great price on the 901s.
What I have taken away from a number of "sessions" with 901s and the equalizer that comes with them is that if you have a 1,000 watt amp, they can play very loud for a long time.
Absolutely I know my home system is antiquated but it still sounds great. Most of the time I'm in my Kenworth,and I am also a classic rock maniac. I'm 2500 watts out of 2 separate amps with 3 10"subwoofers, I dont like the speed of 12's

Thorens TD-160 turntable
Marantz 2270 receiver
JBL 4311 studio monitors

No cds. Vinyl only.

I’ve got a modern Audiotrchnic table on a 60’s Fischer tube amp, playing through some 60’s Bose 901’s. It’s a good ol’ mid century modern rock out.

KIMG0637_01.JPG
KIMG0640_02.JPG
KIMG0642_02.JPG
KIMG0644_02.JPG
KIMG0645.JPG
KIMG0646.JPG

So 3 of the 4 are phonograph s that play Edison discs the big corner cabinet (clock on it) didn't have it's org parts when I got it so I retrofit a newer turn table in it so I could play my newer record's too!
Nothing can compare to the sound of my Brunswick phonograph (has the flag on it) it's a 1920 model it was an expensive model no cranking required ! It has an elc motor in it (looks like a starter Motor gear driven ) anyways playing it christmas time with the old 20's -30's Christmas music !!! It's the best thing ever nothing comes close .last year I found a 10 record set (Edison disc ) of the nut cracker sweet! Sadly two record s were broken but the rest play great! I'm looking for another set to buy so we can have more Christmas music this year ! Many many people love hearing it I bring the little external horn unit out to car shows at
x mas time so I can share the joy!
I'm told I need to sell my small internal horn Brunswick (crap on it) we don't have the need nor room for it !
They all play loud and clear !!!

JVC QL-5yf turntable. Bose 901 IV hanging from the ceiling, Bose 501 III on the floor.

I agree ... my Sansui 9090 db from 1976 is still working.
Cool...I bought a 9090 in 1976, it had great sound. And everyone loved the power meters :)

I still buy and listen to vinyl - just yesterday (before this thread) I was playing records on my old Rega Planet with the original glass platter. It has a Shure SME tonearm that I've upgraded with a bronze arm bearing, using a Grado Silver cartridge. I replaced the rubber belts (they stretch too much after a year) with silicone ones.

My computer room, where I record vinyl onto my computer, has a 42 year old Philips 212 Electronic with a Stanton EEE cart. I recently found a kit (switches, lights and the belt) for it on ebay to get it going after it sat for 20 years.

I was a HUGE fan of Audio Technica stylii back in the day.

I couldn't help but notice that Alyssa on GYC was wearing an AT shirt on the last episode I saw.

Is that the same company or did the name registration lapse and the chinese buy it?

Is that the same company or did the name registration lapse and the chinese buy it?
Founded in Japan:
Hideo Matsushita establishes Audio-Technica Corporation in Tokyo’s Shinjuku-ku
Came to the United States:
Audio-Technica U.S., Inc. is established in Akron, Ohio.
New headquarters in Tokyo:
Audio-Technica’s new head office building is completed in Machida, Tokyo.
Expansion into China:
Audio-Technica (South East Asia) Pte. Ltd. is established in Singapore

Matsushita...as in Technics/Panasonic

Hmm. But it it still the same?

Still spinning a kenwood I bought in 88. We also have the wife's technics tt that could use a new belt and needle. Love the vinyls!

Having a Minor in Audio marketing, and having studied the inner workings and ratings that the equipment is rated at, I know how to put some killer pieces together to pack a punch. But that punch is quite small. I had and am still considering another Quad 303 power amp. The one I had had oversized capacitors and was rated at 45 Watts per channel. I would run it out of sync or phase, by hooking up the left side speaker backwards so the woofers would by out 180 degrees when the signal was pumped through. Man that thing would kick the butt of any 100 - 500 watt amp and the slew rate and rise time for the db expansion was killer. Sadly though I sold it but they still are made and available even though they are found mostly in England now. I still to this day subscribe that less wattage is better in the long run and produces a far better clarity than greater wattage...Listened to my rig yesterday after finishing putting it back together. I am currently running a small Klipsch book shelf set of speakers and also have a set of Bose 901's not hooked up at present. Here's a pic of a Quad 303...cr8crshr/Tuck:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Quad 303 Amplifier.jpg

Having a Minor in Audio marketing, and having studied the inner workings and ratings that the equipment is rated at, I know how to put some killer pieces together to pack a punch. But that punch is quite small. I had and am still considering another Quad 303 power amp. The one I had had oversized capacitors and was rated at 45 Watts per channel. I would run it out of sync or phase, by hooking up the left side speaker backwards so the woofers would by out 180 degrees when the signal was pumped through. Man that thing would kick the butt of any 100 - 500 watt amp and the slew rate and rise time for the db expansion was killer. Sadly though I sold it but they still are made and available even though they are found mostly in England now. I still to this day subscribe that less wattage is better in the long run and produces a far better clarity than greater wattage...Listened to my rig yesterday after finishing putting it back together. I am currently running a small Klipsch book shelf set of speakers and also have a set of Bose 901's not hooked up at present. Here's a pic of a Quad 303...cr8crshr/Tuck:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

View attachment 689686
Nice, legendary amp!
One of the unique design aspects of my 5 channel amp that I am using in 2-Channel mode upstairs, as well as the amps in my downstairs STR-DA777ES surround reciever is the parallel push pull amplifier design. Low distortion.
Cool stuff you and your brother have.

Nice, legendary amp!
One of the unique design aspects of my 5 channel amp that I am using in 2-Channel mode upstairs, as well as the amps in my downstairs STR-DA777ES surround reciever is the parallel push pull amplifier design. Low distortion.
Cool stuff you and your brother have.
Sounds to me as though we should find a way to get together and compare notes as it were. I still follow to this day the industry although I am less involved as I once was. Used to have SAE equipment and one of my favs, ADCOM. I am a die hard Klipsch fan and the ones my Bro, 69a100 now has were originally mine but he has them now. I still have plans for a home built set of speakers that will rock the world but haven't tried to make any as of yet. Maybe someday though but right not not a very big living room for a killer set up...cr8crshr/Tuck:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Last edited:
Didn't audio technica build MCS forJc penny's or sears?

:thumbsup:

I had a number of ADCOM amps pass through one of the high end dealers I did sales and system design and installation for. ADCOM amps KICK *** without destroying your bank account like another outstanding manufacturer, McIntosh.
ADCOM amps were serious output machines, and would absolutely deliver the watts when you want to use your speakers as hair dryers.
If I was looking for more power than I have, and I'm not because the volume level I can attain with my highly efficient Klipsch speakers and 200 SOLID WPC is Concert Level without brutal, ear destroying distortion, but if I wanted more power, I think these people would get my coins:
EMOTIVA
https://emotiva.com/products/xpa-dr2

So..... today I switched from cable tv to fiber optic through my phone provider. The installer, a pleasant mid 20s East Indian guy really seemed to know his equipment and procedures. But then he pointed to my turntable sitting on the shelf, asked "what is this?" I said it's a turntable, a record player. He stared back, not comprehending. I lifted the lid and told him it plays records. "You mean like a giant CD?" So I pulled out an album, slid out the record and showed it to him. He looked perplexed, then asked how many songs I could fit on it.

I have to laugh every time I hear someone say "vinyl is coming back". I say it never went away in my house! Still it amazes me when I see the late night hosts holding up an LP instead of a CD. Recently bought a Marantz quad so I could listen to my SQ records. I had a 2270 and a 2440 back in the day, but lost them to a thief.

I have to laugh every time I hear someone say "vinyl is coming back".

Totally agree - Never went away for me either and for those out there who are hearing that vinyl is coming back, it has been back for many, many years. Now that it has been latched on to by the hipster apocalypse that is sweeping the world, it's all of a sudden "cool" again. Tons of vintage audio equipment in my house in multiple rooms to listen to all types of great music on vinyl!

Auto Transport Service
Back