• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

202.jpg319.jpg248.jpg1896.jpg

Right on Steve....the 350 Super is the airplane i was on the howler in the t-storms on. I didn't know that the bladders were pulled & wings sealed. You know that Howard Aero was on San Antone field...i was born in SA in 53, my old man was flying non sched cargo in C-46's amd moonlighting as rainmaker with an AT'6 & a BT-13, couple years later started hauling cement co execs in a converted C-18 or C-45 & a couple yrs after, the company bought a mild mod L-18(retained flap tracks) from Howard Aero.....i used to go to Dee,s shop with Dad. Are You hip to Hamilton A/C, the Westwind Beech 18 turbine (pt-6) cargo conversions? I was @Hamilton for some of the production in 75. How about the On-Mark A-26 predsurized exec conversions......wing spar had to be cradled
..Hamilton handled that STC, (@ same time on-mark was build brand new military spec A-26's for CIA...the exec birds were a front....the new mil spec A-26's helped get us into Nam)Hamilton had worked @ Lockheed during war w Kelley Johnson....after, They built the ver first 3 Lodestar exec birds of anyone....Lockheed Board Gold Stamped these airplanes. Something i find staggering.....Hinton's P'51 VooDoo holds current low altitude piston spd record @ 472mph........in 1935 in the Schneider Cup series, the Macchi mc 72 pontoon bipe went 444! Mustang is clean and the Macchi is dirty.....pretty damn scant margin.

1st post on this thread, the 1649 i believe was called a Starliner....the Super Connies were 1049 up to the 1649.
fyi.......sounds like You have a LOT of left seat time.......enjoyed the exchange with You....pm me anytime....id like to hear of Your experiences

Right on Steve....the 350 Super is the airplane i was on the howler in the t-storms on. I didn't know that the bladders were pulled & wings sealed. You know that Howard Aero was on San Antone field...i was born in SA in 53, my old man was flying non sched cargo in C-46's amd moonlighting as rainmaker with an AT'6 & a BT-13, couple years later started hauling cement co execs in a converted C-18 or C-45 & a couple yrs after, the company bought a mild mod L-18(retained flap tracks) from Howard Aero.....i used to go to Dee,s shop with Dad. Are You hip to Hamilton A/C, the Westwind Beech 18 turbine (pt-6) cargo conversions? I was @Hamilton for some of the production in 75. How about the On-Mark A-26 predsurized exec conversions......wing spar had to be cradled
..Hamilton handled that STC, (@ same time on-mark was build brand new military spec A-26's for CIA...the exec birds were a front....the new mil spec A-26's helped get us into Nam)Hamilton had worked @ Lockheed during war w Kelley Johnson....after, They built the ver first 3 Lodestar exec birds of anyone....Lockheed Board Gold Stamped these airplanes. Something i find staggering.....Hinton's P'51 VooDoo holds current low altitude piston spd record @ 472mph........in 1935 in the Schneider Cup series, the Macchi mc 72 pontoon bipe went 444! Mustang is clean and the Macchi is dirty.....pretty damn scant margin.

Here's a picture of the Macchi monoplane, still exists in the Italian Air Force Museum. I like the contra props.
Macchi-Castoldi_M.C.72_2009-06-06.jpg

Lots of Howard stuff here:
http://www.deehoward.org/

Here's a nice shot of Rare Bear, an F8F Bearcat that has the 3 km. speed record of 528 mph (Aug. 1989)
Rare Bear.jpg

That Rare bear is my FAV!
"They" can have their P-51s all day long.
Let me have a F8 F Bearcat anytime!

Who is the "gas station" attendant?

In my best NY voice, You talkin to me?

This is my type of a cargo load!
190.jpg1464.jpg1659.jpg1946.jpg1963.jpg
And who doesn't love "The Big Sexy"!10274166_10207460131675872_991668261656530883_n.jpg10985326_10204854595182212_8517240047584475478_n.jpgUSAF 9-11-2013 Freedom Launch KC-10.jpg

F8F is seriously badd bird....444mph in armor a military gross if i remember correctly. The Macchi
counter rotaters are pretty heady stuff for the 30's. The pontoons were also lifting bodies, not as durty as they appear.
Photon, think You csn find the pic of the Martin B-26 exec conversion....three bladed Hams in place of the four blade Curtiss Electrics?

Speaking of racing planes, the Hawker Sea Fury was a great, fast plane, the last of the British piston fighters before jets. With a big 18 cylinder Bristol Centaurus engine, it did 460 mph. and was used into the 1950's.

The Sanders brothers took one of these beauties, but stuffed in a P&W 4360 Wasp engine. People asked why? Their simple answer "ten more cylinders and 1,000 more horsepower". Hard to argue.

hawker-sea-fury-tmk20-dreadnought-scott-germain.jpg

One of the best things about this racer is the reliability. Often coming in second place but not breaking parts, here's a quote from the article below:

"He took one crew guy, and a little bag, and flew Dreadnought back to the races. Destefani comes in with a semi, a tent and a crew. When Dennis got back there, they rented a Lincoln Town car and bought a styrofoam ice chest. They changed the plugs in Dreadnought and Tiger put up their tent and started working on the Merlin. They went out and won the race, and we came in second," he said.

"They hurt the Merlin, and had to change a head and bank on it. They worked all night. Dennis got out the blender and had a couple of margarita’s. Came back Saturday, ran the race. Destefani won it, Dennis came in second. Strega changed the other head and bank on the Merlin, Dennis had more margarita’s. Then we went out and ran the race on Sunday. Destefani won it, we came in second. Dennis topped off the airplane and flew it home with his one crew guy. Destefani won $100,000, and we won $50,000. But how much did Tiger spend? And we went ten years like that at Reno with some pretty high finishes. We changed a mag once, but there have been pretty minimal cash expenditures."

http://www.warbirdaeropress.com/articles/Dreadnought/2/Dreadnought2.htm

Jimi, this is the only one I found so far...
ms223_041_147.jpg

John,
Were they PACAF 22s from Anchorage?
(Anchorage birds are in HI also)
Or was that FF birds over the Atlantic ?

Ah, Wake Island!
We used to stop and re-fuel there heading to G-U-A-M

That be one Photon. The Curtiss Electrics were notorious looking, all business, but these three blade Hams are a sight too. Thanks for posting Bud.

Two more for you:
Martin B-26.jpgmartin executive.jpg

And for the fastest of the fastest...the North American X-15 A2. This was an experimental rocket powered plane first flown in the early 60's.
x-15 black.jpg

This particular one, coated in a special high heat ablative paint, still carries the speed record of 4520 mph (mach 6.7) on Oct. 3rd, 1967.
X-15.jpg
This is when it was launched from the B-52 carrier. Even with the special paint, chunks of the control surfaces burned away and flew off during the flight. As far as controlled winged craft, only the space shuttle has beaten it.

Speaking of racing planes, the Hawker Sea Fury was a great, fast plane, the last of the British piston fighters before jets. With a big 18 cylinder Bristol Centaurus engine, it did 460 mph. and was used into the 1950's.

The Sanders brothers took one of these beauties, but stuffed in a P&W 4360 Wasp engine. People asked why? Their simple answer "ten more cylinders and 1,000 more horsepower". Hard to argue.

View attachment 304519

One of the best things about this racer is the reliability. Often coming in second place but not breaking parts, here's a quote from the article below:

"He took one crew guy, and a little bag, and flew Dreadnought back to the races. Destefani comes in with a semi, a tent and a crew. When Dennis got back there, they rented a Lincoln Town car and bought a styrofoam ice chest. They changed the plugs in Dreadnought and Tiger put up their tent and started working on the Merlin. They went out and won the race, and we came in second," he said.

"They hurt the Merlin, and had to change a head and bank on it. They worked all night. Dennis got out the blender and had a couple of margarita’s. Came back Saturday, ran the race. Destefani won it, Dennis came in second. Strega changed the other head and bank on the Merlin, Dennis had more margarita’s. Then we went out and ran the race on Sunday. Destefani won it, we came in second. Dennis topped off the airplane and flew it home with his one crew guy. Destefani won $100,000, and we won $50,000. But how much did Tiger spend? And we went ten years like that at Reno with some pretty high finishes. We changed a mag once, but there have been pretty minimal cash expenditures."

http://www.warbirdaeropress.com/articles/Dreadnought/2/Dreadnought2.htm

Jimi, this is the only one I found so far...
View attachment 304532

the sea fury was the naval version of the tempest , which was a copy of the fw190 . the British were so impressed with the performance of the fw190 butcherbird that they ordered an almost direct copy . compare
fw190 a5.jpgtempest.jpg

I work on c-17s so im a bit biased on my favorite

Attachments

• IMG_5519.jpg
    IMG_5519.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 239
Long Beach!!!! Ive hung my hat on that field a good bit Best95, across ramp from Gulfstream paint facility.....my Brother is A/C broker/manager and my Brother in Law was Chief Pilot and head of a/c sales @ Air Flite

always had a thing for B25 H/J model gunships , read this book back in 75 and was "hooked" ever since (highly recommended , (read it again recently ) its about the first gunships being built in OZ out of scrounged /stolen parts(from C model glassnose). developing the low level "skip" bombing runs ,strafing attacks that they became known for in the pacific. pissing off the japs bigtime )

and some pic of what the factory did after the success of the conversion

Nice job Photon, read my mail on this one.....if one catalogs the lynx, then interaction between the treads should be fun! Yep, You found the Martin poto i was thinking of, the white and stratos blue w red trim......i dont recall whether any exec convesions were pressurized like th On Mark A-26 execs, but i know they were fast...in military form, the early short wings, after dumping bomb loads, in capable hands brought down down their share of 109's and 190's on dogfights.....size of a B-25, Was a buck faster.
Earlier on, someone mentioned junkers jumo moteurs in 190's which i dont recall, but the Daimler Benz inverted V 601's were in many. The shspe comparison beyeeen 190 and Hawker SF brings to mind the comparison between Pete Brock's Daytona Cobra Coupe' body design w its rival, the Ferrari 250 GTO Lusso Berlinetta, though the two cars look different, side by side comparison reveals how closely Brock displaced the same area as Ferrari.....there are comparison, diffetent angle shots of cars next to eachother that illustrates this, no mistake, on line in different sites. The GTO is a 180 mph car, the Snake is a 185 mph car......THAT is racing at its very best, before it became just more PC bs.

the sea fury was the naval version of the tempest , which was a copy of the fw190 . the British were so impressed with the performance of the fw190 butcherbird that they ordered an almost direct copy ....

It's true that an FW190 landed in England in 1942 and it was analyzed and influenced future fighter designs, particularly in the use of a radial engine as a viable powerplant. The Sea Fury was quite a redesign of the Tempest though, being lighter and with different wings. Had jets not gotten in the way, the next development would have gone into production, which was an even faster version with the Napier Sabre 24 cylinder inline (horizontal H with two crankshafts) engine with variants up to 4000 hp. This 3000 hp. version looks great and flew 483 mph. at altitude, and more importantly was nearly 40 mph faster than the radial version at sea level.

hawker-fury-sabre-la610.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back