• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

who pays 10k for a paint job

Wouldn't it be less expensive to buy property, build a shop including a nice paint booth, enroll in a body shop course, buy the equipment and material and paint the car vs paying for college?

Speaking as one who has a degree in BS, I mean a B.S. in Biology. :D

On a side note, we should start a thread about sacrifices we make/made to be able to afford this hobby.

Haha, and sour puss strikes again!:blah::blah: Seams you just copy and paste this same remark everywhere? Doesn't sound to me like anybody was home with the kids? Like mentioned before, everyone has their priorities, mine is to enjoy my kids while they're young not work my life away... family first then work! My personal "indulgence" turned out to be a great relationship with my daughter which now has her own classic... oops more indulgence? Can't wait to build it but only after my dad's truck is done which all came after my wife's house:realcrazy:.[/QUOTE]
Are you another asshole on the FBBO talking about my family? Who are you who dare question my wife and i, our choices on how we raised our children? Not that you deserve a answer but my children were in school and someone was always home when they got home.
I personally think your full of yourself, maybe selfish.
If your claim to success was your hobby car "indulgence" and that lead to a great relationship with your child, then i guess our values and how we relate to our children are very much different.

Wouldn't it be less expensive to buy property, build a shop including a nice paint booth, enroll in a body shop course, buy the equipment and material and paint the car vs paying for college?

Speaking as one who has a degree in BS, I mean a B.S. in Biology. :D

On a side note, we should start a thread about sacrifices we make/made to be able to afford this hobby.
Depends were you live. In some parts it would be more financial sound to buy that property, build a row of masonry commercial garages and rent them out to body, mechanical and what have you.

How come it says in paint and body books that you can rent a paint booth? I've never seen this offered but could be an excellent business opportunity.

How come it says in paint and body books that you can rent a paint booth? I've never seen this offered but could be an excellent business opportunity.

We have rental bays up here with booths. But most of the dives are just that. Dirty shops .
At 100 plus a hour for a booth and 10 or more for the stall plus paying material costs . carefully work out the math . they do very well .

We have rental bays up here with booths. But most of the dives are just that. Dirty shops .
At 100 plus a hour for a booth and 10 or more for the stall plus paying material costs . carefully work out the math . they do very well .
how about the inflatable paint booths for those who can paint a car? some come with heaters and fans.

I painted for several years, with my last gig being at Hess and Eisendardt. They have a great history, and did Presidential limos. I was doing limos for GM. That was an ideal painting environment. Unfortunately, I painted in bad environments as well. Unless you have an outside-source/forced-fresh-air respirator, wear a tyvek suit and gloves.....these catalyzed paints will kill you. Cleaning your gun, it'll soak into your skin. I have asthma and COPD, from places I've worked. For me, there isn't enough savings [if it were free] to paint another piece of anything. Enjoy...........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isocyanate

My wife taught me body and paint back in our Navy days. We could rent a stall at the hobby shop and do the body work and rent the booth for 24 hours when we were ready to use it. It was like $40. She sprayed the first two we did, our 72 Duster and 56 Chevy pickup. I painted several more over the next few years and got pretty good at single stage.

Where I live now I know 3 people that built a booth and did side work for years, nice clean and I can rent one for the weekend for $100.

I stick with single stage acrylic urethane as it just looks right to me.

My Duster I did in B5 acrylic urethane about $800 for paint. This was a home made booth.
Duster4.jpg
IMG_1626 (Large).JPG

I did my Power Wagon two tone Red in base clear, almost $2500 just for the base, SPI clear for the win.
IMG_0792.JPG
IMG_0620.JPG

Of course the woman that started this whole Mopar addiction.

Jens-Duster.jpg

how about the inflatable paint booths for those who can paint a car? some come with heaters and fans.
I would be worried about static . combustable materials love static

I had an old coronet done at MACCO in a Lambo color. I was very pleased with $1200 bucks. I sold the car, so not sure it would have held up on the long term...
EC8DC563-0448-47CD-B165-14D253C3773A.jpeg
8EA87237-6686-4C5F-856B-4D2BCFC6ED3D.jpeg

Cheap paint is kinda like cheap underwear. Ya its underwear but your always going to be fooling with it. Buy top shelf underwear and you hardly ever notice it that you have any on. I think I had close to 8k in paint and such before it was sprayed.

Some of you guys do nice work, your very talented, your cars look terrific, you should be very proud.
When you have a car thats going to be taken to the next level, a car thats special and a person is willing and able to make that sort of commitment i also admire that dedication.
Yes there is a big difference in finish and quality of workmanship in higher end restorations. Those types of jobs require a higher degree of skill and facilities
Ive only been in one Mopar restoration shop and that was Kohrs Kustoms. The cars i saw Dennis Kohr do, panel replacement, body and paint were outstanding. It also was not what you saw on the surface but what you didn't see.
One day i may trip over a pot of gold and maybe i will be able to afford that type of job. Until then i happy to be able to have what i have and most of you should be happy as well. Job well done to all!

If I’m following this thread correctly, I’m supposed to take care of my family and spend good money to have painted on underwear.... :thumbsup:

If I’m following this thread correctly, I’m supposed to take care of my family and spend good money to have painted on underwear.... :thumbsup:

Yup... if its painted on.. theres no reason to change..

The best thing you can do for your kids is to show them how to take care of themselves.

[/QUOTE]Are you another asshole on the FBBO talking about my family? Who are you who dare question my wife and i, our choices on how we raised our children? Not that you deserve a answer but my children were in school and someone was always home when they got home.
I personally think your full of yourself, maybe selfish.
If your claim to success was your hobby car "indulgence" and that lead to a great relationship with your child, then i guess our values and how we relate to our children are very much different.[/QUOTE]

Looks like someone don't like being poked back:poke:, it would do you good to quit judging others by your standards. The invitation is still open for you to stop by for a visit if ever in the neighborhood.

Auto Transport Service
Back