• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Runs a fixed fan?

The rad isn't the issue with the car. Brand new wizard rad with the larger tubes and with a shroud. 180 deg t-stat 50/50 antifreeze mix new water pump etc etc.

Car cools great on the highway -hence not a rad issue- Fan just can't move enough air and once it starts getting hot unless I can get moving at 35mph and up it gets hotter then I like. Most I've seen before I got moving was 205 which is hotter then I'd like.

Because of the large tube rad the stock fan clutch is a no go so I am stuck with the Jag based unit which is new but it never really seems to roar even when hot with the big 7 blade fan.

For those that run a 7 blade fixed fan how is it finding the correct spacers?

I know I'm late on this, but the spacers are no problem. Get the 7 blade fan that was for use without the clutch (small centering hole for water pump hub). Your local NAPA will have spacers from 1/2" to 3", depending on what you need.

Fixed fan here. Running a pretty stock 318 Poly and smaller radiator and it works fine for me. Just the way it came from the factory, four blade fixed.

Hey duster, if you have a shroud, keep in mind where the blades are located. Certain fan shrouds have the blades to far inside the shroud. A perfect blade location is important. Some of the blade should be outside the shroud to insure proper pulling capability. If it is in to far it will cavate (misspelled i'm sure) inside the shroud. Just my opinion, but it is very important. Check around

similar situation... have 383 stroked 496... overheating at idle... never could fix the problem.... last year I read an article on edelbrock carbs... and there are two vacume connections on front... one for fuel economy as installed on 72 and up cars... and the other port for the less restricted 71 and down cars... I changed the vacume advance over and heating issues were gone as well as a noticeable amount of performance was gained.... .on another note... my 1974 cuda overheated for 3 years... I replaced the distributor with a ready-run style and this fixed my overheating issues... after inspection it appeared that the old distributor had a slightly bent shaft..... after all that's said... my point is don't just be looking at your cooling system.... if the engine has to work harder anywhere this could be your problem.

I have been running this fixed flex fan for years on my 440 and now on my 493 and it works fine for me. Ron

100_2373_zps66eb2a56.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back