• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who uses a ratchet shifter on the street?

496BEE

Local time
1:25 PM
Reaction score
image.jpg
I'm getting ready to remove the winters sidewinder that came in the car and install a b&m pro ratchet. The pro ratchet is obviously a ratchet style shifter that has a front exit cable and my trans is full reverse manuel 727. My concern is not about operating the new shifter just that I hear horror stories about ratchet shifters stretching cables and blowing the trans or front exit cables constantly burning up on headers. I also see people using them with no issues what so ever? I really don't see it being an issue as the trans tunnel in my charger seems wider than a dart and my hooker headers don't seem to hug the trans as tight as tti's. You can see how the old long cable was routed and it's in a fire sleeve that I will reuse for added protection . Any feed back or advice on routing the cable is very appreciated. Also I will be driving on the street regularly

View attachment 408015 I'm getting ready to remove the winters sidewinder that came in the car and install a b&m pro ratchet. The pro ratchet is obviously a ratchet style shifter that has a front exit cable and my trans is full reverse manuel 727. My concern is not about operating the new shifter just that I hear horror stories about ratchet shifters stretching cables and blowing the trans or front exit cables constantly burning up on headers. I also see people using them with no issues what so ever? I really don't see it being an issue as the trans tunnel in my charger seems wider than a dart and my hooker headers don't seem to hug the trans as tight as tti's. You can see how the old long cable was routed and it's in a fire sleeve that I will reuse for added protection . Any feed back or advice on routing the cable is very appreciated. Also I will be driving on the street regularly
I have the pro ratchet in my satellite . I run the cable inside to firewall then out near accelerator pedal. I also used to run it straight out through floor .
Yes I have melted the cables before with hirst shifters , don't think on the B&M . I do run a sleeve protector and use aluminium waffle heat shield near headers , never an issue with these . The pro ratchet has held adjustment since fitting a couple of years ago even with having the trans out a couple of times . With the hirst it would always need readjustment whenever you popped the cable or cable bracket off transmission .
I really like the short shift on the B&M

Tex

Ok cool this is good to hear, do you use the 5' cable it comes with or did you use a longer one?
I have the pro ratchet in my satellite . I run the cable inside to firewall then out near accelerator pedal. I also used to run it straight out through floor .
Yes I have melted the cables before with hirst shifters , don't think on the B&M . I do run a sleeve protector and use aluminium waffle heat shield near headers , never an issue with these . The pro ratchet has held adjustment since fitting a couple of years ago even with having the trans out a couple of times . With the hirst it would always need readjustment whenever you popped the cable or cable bracket off transmission .
I really like the short shift on the B&M

Tex

I have stock length now . I used a shorter one , 4' ? , when going straight through floor . Shifter is mounted on a length of 2"x2" tube to raise it up as I use a bench seat

Tex

Get some heat shield material to route the cable in. It's hard to keep the cable away from the header tubes, which is what kills them. DAMHIK.

4' cable fits better.
Doug

I really liked the B&M Quicksilver for street use, very nice ratchet shifter. Never had cable problems, routing is everything. If I remember correctly I ran mine threw the floor up to the bellhousing and them back to create a gradual arc, pretty sure I used a shorter cable than it came with.

I haven't heard of cable stretch with ratchet shifters. I just never liked the ratchet style, couldn't "feel" where I was. Many friends very satisfied with them. I switched the B&M ratchet Megashifter for the old B&M gate shifter I had on the shelf. Cable routing is critical.

One of the reasons I use PPP shifters. Rear cable.

I was actually in between the pro ratchet and quick silver. . . That's basically how I was gonna try and run the cable also
I really liked the B&M Quicksilver for street use, very nice ratchet shifter. Never had cable problems, routing is everything. If I remember correctly I ran mine threw the floor up to the bellhousing and them back to create a gradual arc, pretty sure I used a shorter cable than it came with.

Winters is a good shifter I believe, isn't that what the turbo action is copied after? No way on earth would I swap to a ratchet when you have a decent shifter.

I believe the original design was from Fairbanks then winters then maverick sidewinder or something. I also heard that the turbo action was duplicated off of the winters gate shifter.... Honestly I really have no complaints besides how it looks, it's very smooth and is pretty much impossible to miss a shift. I just wanted something with more of a race feel and also I think the pro ratchet looks a ton better. Hopefully it works out well!
Winters is a good shifter I believe, isn't that what the turbo action is copied after? No way on earth would I swap to a ratchet when you have a decent shifter.

I believe the original design was from Fairbanks then winters then maverick sidewinder or something. I also heard that the turbo action was duplicated off of the winters gate shifter.... Honestly I really have no complaints besides how it looks, it's very smooth and is pretty much impossible to miss a shift. I just wanted something with more of a race feel and also I think the pro ratchet looks a ton better. Hopefully it works out well!

I do get the looks thing, they are a bit on the ugly side. Now those PPP shifters look nice with the function to boot.

I like the PPP shifters a lot just wasn't wild over how narrow they are for my application and also I fell in love with the T handle for some reason. Just feels old school bad *** to me lol
I do get the looks thing, they are a bit on the ugly side. Now those PPP shifters look nice with the function to boot.

What he said...
great advice...

I've had good luck with the Quicksilver too in the past
& I have another one for my current project too...

Did you run your cable the same way as 747mopar?
What he said...
great advice...

I've had good luck with the Quicksilver too in the past
& I have another one for my current project too...

Did you run your cable the same way as 747mopar?
Yeah pretty much, my last one I used the org. cable too,
just need to make sure it's no sharp turns all gradual bends
less chance for it to be in the area of heat & contact with the headers etc.
you may need to get a bit creative with the routing...

you can order shorter cable from anyone that supplies
Morse Cables {just Google search it}
or something similar,
I've seen people get them from marine supply &
other automotive outlets too...

I installed a b&m pro ratchet a year or two ago. Was a bit of a pain with a standard valve body - just having to go from park to 1 took too many damn clicks. my cope reverse manual takes care of that. The shifter really shifts like a dream, super short throw and watch-like precision movement, no complaints outa me.

Auto Transport Service
Back