• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who would've thought

Tintoy35

Local time
1:13 PM
Reaction score
My father passed away 20 years ago and upon cleaning out the garage i kept 1 set of his plates. The other day I was looking for some other parts and I turned them over and looked at the numbers and date. Purchased this car 3 years ago.

20200616_182021.jpg 20200616_182114.jpg

am I understanding this correctly,
you have bought your dads old car ?
unknowingly (?) 3 years ago, kept & recently found the plates & paperwork
it matched (?)

that's pretty cool, even if it wasn't

Sorry Budnicks, these tags were on one his Buicks. I just looked at them for the first time in 20 years a couple days ago . Just had to put them on as I am taking it to track. First time out this year.

Sorry Budnicks, these tags were on one his Buicks. I just looked at them for the first time in 20 years a couple days ago . Just had to put them on as I am taking it to track. First time out this year.
That's ok :thumbsup:
no need to say sorry,
I mistakenly read something into it... wrongly

Do they let you use original year plates there? I have about the same car and the same year plates, like the look much more than some antique plate.

In Maryland you can apply for a permanent tag using the older tags for antique cars

My 64 is a race car at this time. A lot of fiberglass. The races i try to make are classified as street night at our track. The car came with a title so who knows what might happen.

Cool thing about Louisiana car registration/license plates...If you get an "Antique" license plate, meaning that the vehicle's age qualifies it as an antique vehicle, it's a one time $25 fee, and that is it, no renewals. But wait! There's more!
My wife and I got "prestige" plates, w/the "antique" categorization.
The cost of the custom lettering/numbers (7 letters/numbers max) plates is $125 each. I got "6PAK440" and I convinced her that "421GOAT" would be really cool for her 65 GTO, as Pontiac people and overall knowledgeable classic muscle car people would "get it" and it would highlight the uniqueness of the 421 powerplant. I know that Plymouth is "6BBL" but from previous experience, I know if other people don't "get it" it doesn't do what I want it to.
Anyway, those plates also don't have to ever be renewed, and here's the kicker...
NO BRAKE TAG/INSPECTION STICKER REQUIRED, EVER!! I could literally have a nitromethane (or other "exotic" fuel)
powered car on the street!
:thumbsup: :bananadance: :monkeyleft:EPA regulations...

Cool thing about Louisiana car registration/license plates...If you get an "Antique" license plate, meaning that the vehicle's age qualifies it as an antique vehicle, it's a one time $25 fee, and that is it, no renewals. But wait! There's more!
My wife and I got "prestige" plates, w/the "antique" categorization.
The cost of the custom lettering/numbers (7 letters/numbers max) plates is $125 each. I got "6PAK440" and I convinced her that "421GOAT" would be really cool for her 65 GTO, as Pontiac people and overall knowledgeable classic muscle car people would "get it" and it would highlight the uniqueness of the 421 powerplant. I know that Plymouth is "6BBL" but from previous experience, I know if other people don't "get it" it doesn't do what I want it to.
Anyway, those plates also don't have to ever be renewed, and here's the kicker...
NO BRAKE TAG/INSPECTION STICKER REQUIRED, EVER!! I could literally have a nitromethane (or other "exotic" fuel)
powered car on the street!
:thumbsup: :bananadance: :monkeyleft:EPA regulations...

Similar deal in Connecticut regarding antique plates. No inspections. Could run anything. No vanity antique plates that I know of but you can use “original year” plates.

I bought a set for my '62 when I lived in Maryland but moved to Pennsylvania before I had the car road worthy. Md. has the option of using original tags.
20200618_215006.jpg

These might be for sale. I didn't realize the last three digits before! :fool:

Being in Pa. It's a one time deal to register your car as a antique or classic and use a original tag also. You can even have the tags stay with the car if you sell it to someone else. They used to only issue a tag with a picture of a model "T" on it!

This particular tag on my '62 came out in 1958 and was issued stickers until 1964. There are correct number/letter sequences for each year they were issued and the sticker for the year it was issued will have all 0's for the serial number. I have people ask about my '62 having a '58 tag.
20190713_204950.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back