• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy Anniversary to........ my car ?

WileERobby

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:16 AM
Reaction score
Today, 51 years ago, I bought one of my cars, which is the one I've owned the longest, and still have. So many others have come and gone since. Does anyone else remember the exact date they bought a car they own ? Although I have a general idea of when I got my other cars I still have, this is the only one I know exactly. It's like other events I can vividly recall from many years ago, but don't ask me what I ate the day before yesterday ! Am I the only (strange) person who can recall such an event ?

- '15 Durango: 11/25/15 (the day before Thanksgiving)
- '69 Charger RT: 12/26/16 (the day after Christmas)
These were fairly recent but will always be easy to remember for obvious reasons.
Like you, I can narrow down to the year for the rest of the dozen or so other vehicles and to the month for a few of them.

- '15 Durango: 11/25/15 (the day before Thanksgiving)
- '69 Charger RT: 12/26/16 (the day after Christmas)
These were fairly recent but will always be easy to remember for obvious reasons.
Like you, I can narrow down to the year for the rest of the dozen or so other vehicles and to the month for a few of them.
You give a new meaning to "holiday shopping" !

Neither was planned .... especially the Charger!

I bought my new 1969 Super Bee on February 10, 1969, so that anniversary is coming up. Sadly, I no longer have the car.

Today, 51 years ago, I bought one of my cars, which is the one I've owned the longest, and still have. So many others have come and gone since. Does anyone else remember the exact date they bought a car they own ? Although I have a general idea of when I got my other cars I still have, this is the only one I know exactly. It's like other events I can vividly recall from many years ago, but don't ask me what I ate the day before yesterday ! Am I the only (strange) person who can recall such an event ?
seem strange I can remember stuff even cam specs from build way back when
but can't remember what I had for lunch a couple days ago too

My Dakota SLT 4x4 truck is going on 'it's 25th' year with me, bought it Nov. 7th 1999
'Bought in the last century too' just later :poke:

I think that's the longest I've owned any car/truck

I've owned my current 68 RR RM23 LL1 Surf Turquoise, since Dec. 5th 2005
sat in the garage waiting for a lot of them years,
I've owned it now for 19 years & counting, 3rd longest in my vehicles...
I had 3 68 RRs all HTs/RM23s at the same time for a while,
till 2007 I sold the silver/black car I owned for like 13-14 years, (since 1993-ish fast street strip car)
& X9 Black on black highly optioned, I owned since early 2007, I sold to fund a project in 2017
I can't tell you the exact date of the others

my original 68 Charger R/T GG1/Black is easy
it was the day before my 15th B-day, July 11th 1974, $350 cash
owned it until Sept. 1989, sold it to my cousin Joe, who wrecked/totaled it, in like 2 weeks

my 2002 F350 PS 7.3 Diesel 4x4 6 speed 1 ton dually,
20 years almost to the day
I owned it from early Nov. 2001 till early Nov. 2021 2nd longest

Last edited:
I only remember well the early couple vehicles, and as time went on the date was less memorable, but details about getting them stuck with me.
I do recall the first car I bought and had my name on it. A used 1994 Mercury Cougar. Dec. 23 1998. From the local big time chevy dealer. I paid $5k for it. Totally loaded, including the moonroof, leather, and of course the V8. $5k was not much. They wanted this loaded mercury off the lot and away from their fancy new(and by then dated body style) caddy cars.
I had a friend that I would take for test drives when I was looking all that fall for "the right car".
The first one that caught my eye was an ad for a mid 90's Ranger. I know right, but- this was a 4 cyl 5 speed. If you know about Rangers you know the V6 was a dog and the 4 popper wasn;t great but with the 5 speed it moved out well enough because the trucks were so light. Anyway, this one the previous owner must have been in love with. Black paint, small black painted roll/light bar with no lights so nothing gawdy. Aluminum slots. Interior was red, but he had swapped out leather buckets from an exploder and installed a console too. Changed the interior lights to a muted red color, tinted the windows very slightly, installed (very well) an alpine stereo. Truck had low miles. Eye catcher. Fun to drive.
test drove the truck, Ozzy comes on the stereo blasting "Iron Man". At the time I did not know this would be relavent.
My buddy: " I dunno, this is cool, but.... there is only two seats and no back seats. What about chicks?"

True and wise words.

Next up 3 weeks later was this Cougar.
The car was 4 years old, owned by a local pilot who drove it 100 miles(one way) down to milwaukee and Chicago and back 3 times a week. Rolled miles on, and otherwise the car was like brand new. Loaded. V8= moved right out, but first gear (typical Ford lame wads) went 50mph so not exactly a stop light king lol. On the highway this thing was master of 40-100mph though. Classy and sporty.
Ozzy came on the radio blasting Iron Man.
My buddy and I both geeked out over this car, went back and told the sales guy I will take it.

2 years later I wanted a Bronco. Two for sale. One from a local bike lot(dabbled in trucks) and one from the local speed parts hop(dirt track supply place)
I got the typical Green and tan Bronco from the speed shop(turns out i dodged a bullet, bike shop guy went to jail shortly after)
I test drove both. ozzy came on the radio blasting Iron Man when I drove the green one.

Some years later I traded in both the Mercury and the Bronco to a young and very inexperianced salesman in madison for a 98 Expedition. he had decided he should promise me a trade value over the phone without any pictures, and then was upset about what my bronco looked like when I pulled in and parked next to the brand new King Ranch on the lot. I drove 2.5 hours with both vehicles to do this deal, his manager made him eat his commission on the difference.
As I left their lot in my shiny black Expedition, Ozzy came on the radio blasting Iron Man.

No, none of these instances of Black Sabbath had anything to do with recorded music. This was local radio stations. I am not sure the significance, but after the second time, I rule out coincidence lol.
Guess what song played on the way home after I took delivery of my then brand new '13 all black AWD Hemi Charger?

Welcome to the Jungle by Guns and Roses.

And then Iron Man.

A couple dates I remember quite well....
Fred arrived on our ridge May 11, 2011:
P1080468.JPG
I joined FBBO directly thereafter... :)

The other date? Of the several times in which I experienced "bleed out" in hospitals, one actually got to the
point where I was all but declared legally dead:
April 11, 2013, during an epic 11 hour surgery session for cancer #3 (kidney).

From those two dates, the ressurection of both Fred and my own mangy carcass began...slowly. :thumbsup:

I only remember well the early couple vehicles, and as time went on the date was less memorable, but details about getting them stuck with me.
I do recall the first car I bought and had my name on it. A used 1994 Mercury Cougar. Dec. 23 1998. From the local big time chevy dealer. I paid $5k for it. Totally loaded, including the moonroof, leather, and of course the V8. $5k was not much. They wanted this loaded mercury off the lot and away from their fancy new(and by then dated body style) caddy cars.
I had a friend that I would take for test drives when I was looking all that fall for "the right car".
The first one that caught my eye was an ad for a mid 90's Ranger. I know right, but- this was a 4 cyl 5 speed. If you know about Rangers you know the V6 was a dog and the 4 popper wasn;t great but with the 5 speed it moved out well enough because the trucks were so light. Anyway, this one the previous owner must have been in love with. Black paint, small black painted roll/light bar with no lights so nothing gawdy. Aluminum slots. Interior was red, but he had swapped out leather buckets from an exploder and installed a console too. Changed the interior lights to a muted red color, tinted the windows very slightly, installed (very well) an alpine stereo. Truck had low miles. Eye catcher. Fun to drive.
test drove the truck, Ozzy comes on the stereo blasting "Iron Man". At the time I did not know this would be relavent.
My buddy: " I dunno, this is cool, but.... there is only two seats and no back seats. What about chicks?"

True and wise words.

Next up 3 weeks later was this Cougar.
The car was 4 years old, owned by a local pilot who drove it 100 miles(one way) down to milwaukee and Chicago and back 3 times a week. Rolled miles on, and otherwise the car was like brand new. Loaded. V8= moved right out, but first gear (typical Ford lame wads) went 50mph so not exactly a stop light king lol. On the highway this thing was master of 40-100mph though. Classy and sporty.
Ozzy came on the radio blasting Iron Man.
My buddy and I both geeked out over this car, went back and told the sales guy I will take it.

2 years later I wanted a Bronco. Two for sale. One from a local bike lot(dabbled in trucks) and one from the local speed parts hop(dirt track supply place)
I got the typical Green and tan Bronco from the speed shop(turns out i dodged a bullet, bike shop guy went to jail shortly after)
I test drove both. ozzy came on the radio blasting Iron Man when I drove the green one.

Some years later I traded in both the Mercury and the Bronco to a young and very inexperianced salesman in madison for a 98 Expedition. he had decided he should promise me a trade value over the phone without any pictures, and then was upset about what my bronco looked like when I pulled in and parked next to the brand new King Ranch on the lot. I drove 2.5 hours with both vehicles to do this deal, his manager made him eat his commission on the difference.
As I left their lot in my shiny black Expedition, Ozzy came on the radio blasting Iron Man.

No, none of these instances of Black Sabbath had anything to do with recorded music. This was local radio stations. I am not sure the significance, but after the second time, I rule out coincidence lol.
Guess what song played on the way home after I took delivery of my then brand new '13 all black AWD Hemi Charger?

Welcome to the Jungle by Guns and Roses.

And then Iron Man.
Ahhh, nice... but dates ! Any anniversary dates ? I have one, that's it. All the others, including my cars now, too many to recall. Just the oldest.

A couple dates I remember quite well....
Fred arrived on our ridge May 11, 2011:
View attachment 1605446
I joined FBBO directly thereafter... :)

The other date? Of the several times in which I experienced "bleed out" in hospitals, one actually got to the
point where I was all but declared legally dead:
April 11, 2013, during an epic 11 hour surgery session for cancer #3 (kidney).

From those two dates, the ressurection of both Fred and my own mangy carcass began...slowly. :thumbsup:
And hopefully, both are in good shape for a long time ! :thumbsup:

Ahhh, nice... but dates ! Any anniversary dates ? I have one, that's it. All the others, including my cars now, too many to recall. Just the oldest.
well 11 years with my '13 Charger comes up on March 9.
I ordered it from local dealer on Feb 9, on my wife's birthday. So every year she reminds me about her "birthday present". PPPFFFFFTTTT. As if. :) Guess what tomorrow is?

Not so unfortunately the 98 expedition is gone, sold once the Charger was brought in.
Everything else in my fleet of run down heaps was brought in sometime in the last 12 years. Most within the last 6-7.
May 15 will be the one year anniversary of my estate sale $1000 Dakota. I have it up to 58k miles now! This one I am sure I will always remember.

I remember my first motorcycle - 26 Jan 1973. Thats a life altering day.
Can't believe I can't remember the exact date on my first car tho; 70 RoadRunner and I know it was November of 75, but can't pull the exact date up for the life of me. Hmmm.
First Corvette was 6 Feb 1978 tho.
Past that, I can tell you 'when' on most if not all of the cars and bikes, but cant remember the EXACT date save for my Jeep - 21 Jan 1997, having celebrated its 27th anniversary here last month , and my current 67 Belvedere on 2 April 21. Was making the deal on that car as my next door neighbour's house was burning down...

Auto Transport Service
Back