• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whomp Whomp Whomp noise?

So what exactly do you mean? I hear your statement but can’t come to a conclusion

So what exactly do you mean? I hear your statement but can’t come to a conclusion
Lets say you are cruising at 3000 rpm in high gear doing 60 mph. Down shift to 2nd but keep your speed at 60. The drive shaft will still be turning 3000 rpm but the engine will now be around 5200. The output shaft of the transmission will still be at 3000 and the input shaft of the trans will be at 5200 if there's no slip in the converter or clutch. The transmission dictates engine rpm. Does that make better sense?

This does not concern you? >"It moves up and down a little but I can’t measure it. "
I would think it shouldn't have any movement there. Sounds like your bushing is worn out. The new seal is flexible...

And (before everyone goes nuts) the ties are old. Embarrassing 2011. The car sat a long time.
I'm still leaning towards flat spots on the tires.....that happens to me if I don't move my truck for several months at a time......problem goes away after a good blast down the road.

I'm still leaning towards flat spots on the tires.....that happens to me if I don't move my truck for several months at a time......problem goes away after a good blast down the road.
I used to get flat spots on my old 3/4 ton truck when it sat for a bit but at 60 mph it was more like a shake, rattle and roll thing but more shaking and rattles than rolling lol. Man, I hated those tires.

Get new tires and shocks. I know it's not the shocks, but new tires and shocks makes them ride nice again. Whomp might be your warning. Tire failure at highway speeds can be bad, even in the rear.
This does not concern you? >"It moves up and down a little but I can’t measure it. "
I would think it shouldn't have any movement there. Sounds like your bushing is worn out. The new seal is flexible...
I was looking for a leaky seal as a sign of a worn bushing and didn't think about it being new. I wonder if there is some fluid trapped inside of that new seal.

Hmm I know 3 beers didn’t get me this dumb. Still thinking about it. I see what Cranky says now. But if the noise is 60-80 in third, why not 40-50 in second or 30-20 in first?

Ok
The plan is tires first. How will a taller tire affect my car? Besides the speedometer? Where do you buy them?

IMG_1036 (2).jpg

Hi members. I’m sure describing a noise on a post isn’t going to go to well but I will try anyway. I have a whomp whomp noise between 60-80. It doesn’t change “that much” whether on/off the throttle. But it gets loud and very rhythmic. Almost sounds like something is going to break. There is no vibration, just whomp whomp whomp. As far as I can tell everything is tight. New u joints and a yoke too that was worn out. No tail shaft seal leaking. Can my engine cause this? I have an oe balancer but don’t know about the internals of the engine. I see some 440 were externally balanced and some not.
Should I try a fluidamper balancer. It’s an expensive guess. Unfortunately the noise kinda fills the car so I’m not sure where it’s coming from. Thanks for your suggestions.
I've never experienced it, but was told that if you run an internal bal damper on a external bal engine it will shake so bad you might not even be able to drive it. So, there's that.

Hi members. I’m sure describing a noise on a post isn’t going to go to well but I will try anyway. I have a whomp whomp noise between 60-80. It doesn’t change “that much” whether on/off the throttle. But it gets loud and very rhythmic. Almost sounds like something is going to break. There is no vibration, just whomp whomp whomp. As far as I can tell everything is tight. New u joints and a yoke too that was worn out. No tail shaft seal leaking. Can my engine cause this? I have an oe balancer but don’t know about the internals of the engine. I see some 440 were externally balanced and some not.
Should I try a fluidamper balancer. It’s an expensive guess. Unfortunately the noise kinda fills the car so I’m not sure where it’s coming from. Thanks for your suggestions.
While the car is displaying these symptoms, try putting the transmission in neutral with no throttle. If the noise persists, it isn't the engine.

Hmm I know 3 beers didn’t get me this dumb. Still thinking about it. I see what Cranky says now. But if the noise is 60-80 in third, why not 40-50 in second or 30-20 in first?
If it was to do that it would make me look at the engine for the vibration or noise....

I've never experienced it, but was told that if you run an internal bal damper on a external bal engine it will shake so bad you might not even be able to drive it. So, there's that.
I've never done that before but did put a 360 converter on a 318 one time. I was able to drive the car but it sure shook pretty good. Wouldn't think a balancer would make it shake any worse than that converter did lol

Flat spots on my tires after sitting for a few months I can feel, not just hear. Takes a few miles to drive it out of them. My Firestone F70-14 redlines are the biggest culprits. My BFGs seem to be immune to flat spots…so far.

Check your rear axle bearings. That happened to me last year, whomp whomp sounded like the driveshaft was going to come up through the floorpan. It was the drivers side bearing. Hard to pinpoint by sound.

Auto Transport Service
Back