• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are 426 hemis expensive ?

Why are Hemi's so expensive? It depends on how long ago you bought them. :lol:

For a mopar fan a Hemi 426 is THE HEMI but you want a hemi why not a 3rd Gen swap, 5,7 are widely available, not that expensive and still fun to drive.

Thats a good choice as well but doesn't have the "bling" value of the G2 (or even the G1) Hemi unless you get some of those Indy old school valve covers

I hope you don't think you're simply just gonna pull that 383, drop in a Hemi, and that's it ? We'll start with the engine mounts/k-member, and continue the list of "must-do's" from there.

Thats a good choice as well but doesn't have the "bling" value of the G2 (or even the G1) Hemi unless you get some of those Indy old school valve covers
Totally agree, not a singe engine from the muscle car Era have the magic of the 426, but an original hemi car are way too expensive for the average Joe, as many members here know, those cars areally more an investment than a car for fun sad but true, BTW That's a nice engine you have.

Very true, you cannot simply bolt a G2 426 into a non Hemi car, you need conversion mounts or change out the K member. Then the fun begins trying to make everything fit

I hope you don't think you're simply just gonna pull that 383, drop in a Hemi, and that's it ? We'll start with the engine mounts/k-member, and continue the list of "must-do's" from there.

tin man makes some nice conversion mounts

there quite a few places that sell crates
if you don't know what you're doing
it may be the best way to go
Mancini Racing, Ray Barton, Arrington, many others
many parts from KB, Bill Mitchel/World, INDY, Edelbrock etc. etc. etc.

they ain't cheap,
the heads, induction & rocker choices,
can vary in price from $5k to $10,000 to $30,000 grand alone
even exhaust manifold
OE stuff is more $$$ & more rare too
than many race parts/aftermarket parts

do your research

lots of junk out there too
not many cheap deals on a Gen 2 426+ cid Hemi's
sometime buying something someone bailed on may be an option

if you want to dive into the 'Hemi pool'
you better be prepared to step up $$$

the offer earlier here by a member is a deal
may not make the 550hp # but a few changes
& another $500- couple grand, can fix that easily

https://www.marsh-racing.com/hemi_crate_motors_from_mopar.htm

Last edited:

My car was a 383 4 barrel. Plenty of options to make it fit. Not that big of a deal.

Totally agree, not a singe engine from the muscle car Era have the magic of the 426, but an original hemi car are way too expensive for the average Joe, as many members here know, those cars really more an investment than a car for fun sad but true, BTW That's a nice engine you have.

Yeah my engine is a bit of a parts build to be honest, the short block is done but I need to assemble it all. I need a cam for it and haven't decided what cam to use. Then of course I need push rods and on it goes...

They seem a bit high priced for what they are. Arruzza had some nice mounts but they don't seem to sell them anymore.

they are expensive but once you have a set in your hands you’ll understand why they are more than Arruzza or Schumacher versions

Could be, I have never actually seen any personally.

I had the same thought when buying them just hated the thought to pay that price
but after getting them I’m satisfied with the quality of them and they are well made.

Why are 426 hemis expensive ?
captain obvious giphy.gif

I'd really like to know someone, anyone, who simply popped of the hood, pulled out a 383, changed the mounts, and dropped in a Hemi. I didn't know it was as simple as that. Fools like me did a lotta other s#!t to make that work.

Auto Transport Service
Back