• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are 426 hemis expensive ?

I'd really like to know someone, anyone, who simply popped of the hood, pulled out a 383, changed the mounts, and dropped in a Hemi. I didn't know it was as simple as that. Fools like me did a lotta other s#!t to make that work.
I have a friend who tried that same trick a few years back....a well qualified and experienced mechanic. After he had done the conversion to a stroked HEMI in his '69 Road Runner (originally a 383), he swore he would never have done it if he had known all the drama involved. It put me off going down that track with an original look in a car.

Now....if someone said to me that BluePrint Engines were now doing Gen 3 HEMI crate engines, I would be lining up at the door....for my A100. The 408 is a great engine, but there's always room for more. :thumbsup:

Back in 1981 a retired USAC racer, had a race shop behind his snowmobile buisness in Husher Wisconsin. I needed a crank bolt for my Hemi,and was instructed by Jerry Kulwicki, his pit crew and engine builder, (and father of Alan Kulwicki) also high school classmate of mine, to go see him and get what you need. After arriving and being greeted the Very tall and Friendly Gentleman, I was Blown Away By his Extensive Inventory! Hemi heads taking up a wood skid stacked neatly 3 high. Tall Cabinets full of Mopar boxes, full of fasteners, Piston rings, bearings and other pieces and parts required to build engines. Chrysler sponsored him so what ever was needed was at his disposal. I asked about the abundance of complete sets of standard piston and rod assemblies. The answer I got was that were removed from the complete street Hemi motors frequently delivered from mother Mopar,in favor of the bigger Nascar internals. Oil Pumps, fuel pumps, Valve covers, tubes, balancers, nascar 2 piece single 4 intakes ,rocker assemblies, exh aust manifolds, everything you would not use from a street engine, and Many otheri tems on multiple shelving units . ... You get the idea. I was in Hemi Disneyland!! I left there that day with two compete cylinder heads valve covers, rocker assmblies, ($300). Set of nascar rods ($80) fuel pumps and other assorted pieces, that he was happy to get rid of. A Day in my life I never will Forget!! And more so, to meet a Very Personable, and wonderful Human Being, The Legendary Norm Nelson!
Oh yeah,, I got the crank bolt and washer ...5 bucks. Times Have Changed!!

I'd really like to know someone, anyone, who simply popped of the hood, pulled out a 383, changed the mounts, and dropped in a Hemi. I didn't know it was as simple as that. Fools like me did a lotta other s#!t to make that work.
Oh it is as easy as that,but we must build a better elephant cage:lol:

A question, a Hemi siamese block over bored to the point where cylinder walls are to thin could be sleeved say to a 4.25"bore? After 4.25 bore is used up could rebored to at least 4.31. Then be resleeved again?

I can convert your K member to a Hemi K. Also have the steel motor mounts.I do have a few K members in stock. I also make the purple Rocker stands. I will be at Mopars in the Park next weekend

Auto Transport Service
Back