• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Do We Have So Many Front Cowl and Trunk Waterleaks?

In my experience the 71-74 cars are WAY worse in the cowl area than 66-70.

Most 2 door cars- any rain that goes past the rear side window fuzzies, goes straight to the poorly painted catch slot between the quarter panel and the rocker.

When I was doing warranty work for Chrysler I used boxes and boxes of ribbon non hardening sealer we called dum-dum. It sealed everything that leaked...almost.

My Chevy dealership experience was even worse...I had to stop leaks in Corvette ragtops!

As has been mentioned, there are tons of places for water to get in but not out. Kinda like the bug and bee traps. Check in but not out. Vinyl top cars are one of the worst because of the holes to mount the moldings. I used a daub of air seal on the nuts when I bolted the moldings on my Charger to help keep things dry. I try to not wash my car but it does get rained on from time to time. A buddy of mine had some advice that sounded good when he said. "Find a pre-teen that trusts you, and have him crawl in the trunk on a bright sunny day and with the deck lid closed, look for any light". I couldn't find a kid that trusts me that well so I have to poke a wire up through those drain holes once in a while.

On this topic, I added a couple of large access holes (per side) for my media blaster to clean the interior of this fairly solid Charger cowl. He used an extension on his gun and was very successful. Now -- any ideas on how I go about getting a good coating of paint or sealing material into this cave??

Charger Cowl access holes.JPG

On this topic, I added a couple of large access holes (per side) for my media blaster to clean the interior of this fairly solid Charger cowl. He used an extension on his gun and was very successful. Now -- any ideas on how I go about getting a good coating of paint or sealing material into this cave??

View attachment 1551632

Maybe something like this from eastwood. Just have to make sure it'll fits whatever can you're using. They have some of these on amazon too but not a lot of good reviews.

If you're flexible, you can sit on the floor and reach up through the cowl vent opening.

_p_1_p12512.jpg

Maybe something like this from eastwood. Just have to make sure it'll fits whatever can you're using. They have some of these on amazon too but not a lot of good reviews.

If you're flexible, you can sit on the floor and reach up through the cowl vent opening.

[/URL][/URL]
View attachment 1551659
I used many cans of this on my Belvedere and Coronet. Each can comes with the long tubing so, I spliced 3 tubes together and using my x-ray vision, sprayed the hell out every nook and cranny. It even creeps into flat, skin welded to skin, sheet metal. It was running out of joints everywhere!
Mike

I used many cans of this on my Belvedere and Coronet. Each can comes with the long tubing so, I spliced 3 tubes together and using my x-ray vision, sprayed the hell out every nook and cranny. It even creeps into flat, skin welded to skin, sheet metal. It was running out of joints everywhere!
Mike
I appreciate the ideas gents. More than one solution out there. The two cowl openings from underneath makes sense.

JPW

I bought my undercoating gun on Amazon...$30.

I use Woolwax or similar products

Auto Transport Service
Back