• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why it seems just about every Charger for sale has fresh thick undercoating?

I like the undercoating on a car. My dad bought my 69 Charger brand new and there was some factory coating. I know people say it will hide something or be a problem if you sell the car, but I never want to sell the Charger and the undercoating makes it look nice, protects it and more importantly for me helps with sound deadening and heat/cold insulation. I think we used a product called Lizard skin when I did body work and repainted it. Hopefully my daughter wont say it smells like gas in the car anymore, although I did not mind that smell.....

69 Charger Rear End Off.jpg

I see cars torn down to that point ^^^ and I wonder how the heck they can be put back together and fit right.

I like the undercoating on a car. My dad bought my 69 Charger brand new and there was some factory coating. I know people say it will hide something or be a problem if you sell the car, but I never want to sell the Charger and the undercoating makes it look nice, protects it and more importantly for me helps with sound deadening and heat/cold insulation. I think we used a product called Lizard skin when I did body work and repainted it. Hopefully my daughter wont say it smells like gas in the car anymore, although I did not mind that smell.....

View attachment 1349845
Did your car have rust or crash damage to repair? i would prefer your method because you'll end up with a car having all factory straight parts and minimal body surface filler under the paint.

View attachment 1349845
1664483750274.png

You should put on a Gremlin rear end on it.

1664483717501.png

Factory undercoating was "optional" as is my understanding ? but commonly ordered in many Northern Rust Belt destination Cars ?

To the best of my knowledge..... TRIVIA here
The ONLY Charger's that were MANDATORY to be factory undercoated were the 1969 "N97" code compliance Cars designated
" California Sale Only"

which was part of the "Noise Reduction Pkg" mandated for 1969 models in California by then Governor Ronald Reagan

Here mine... factory "N97" on it's B-Sheet, Noise Reduction undercoating "California sale Only".... Sold new at McCune Chrysler in San Diego.
It's undercoated, but very uniform in application and has protected the car quite well.

'69 Charger RT SE 026.JPG

Charger Broadcast Sheet.jpg

I thought turn down exhaust tips was the only thing in the noise reduction package? What exterior noise does undercoating stop?

Quiets the cabin a little by isolating it some from tires and road noise.

Quiets the cabin a little by isolating it some from tires and road noise.
I think RC may have been implying that undercoating is ineffective at reducing noise that a pedestrian would hear.

I thought turn down exhaust tips was the only thing in the noise reduction package? What exterior noise does undercoating stop?
Noise Reduction Pkg seems to have been both outside noise and "inside" for creature comfort ?
My Charger besides the undercoating for a California only destined Sale vehicle also has some rather 'unique' sound deadening panels on the firewall/inside door panels and on and on complete with the 'pentastar' and part #'s that nobody seems to have ever seen before ? and aren't serviced aftermarket ?
All I know is it's the quietest riding/driving mopar I've ever owned/ridden in.... and that would be in the hundreds ?

Worked in the plants 1969 - 1970 through 1981. I was in charge of the undercoat booth. J 55 was a full undercoat with fuel lines brake lines shocks and gas tank installed. Sprayers tried to stay away from those items. If the J 55 call out was not on the sheet you would get wheelhouses only sprayed.
Not called undercoat. MUD! Sound deadener.

Worked in the plants 1969 - 1970 through 1981. I was in charge of the undercoat booth. J 55 was a full undercoat with fuel lines brake lines shocks and gas tank installed. Sprayers tried to stay away from those items. If the J 55 call out was not on the sheet you would get wheelhouses only sprayed.
Not called undercoat. MUD! Sound deadener.
I bet you have plenty of interesting stories of what it was like working there during that era.

Auto Transport Service
Back