• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why the obsession with electric fans?

Pro Flo 4 everything but oil pressure. Knew that went south when the “lost” blue towel finally clogged the pick up. Engine rattled like hell. Cut it off and coasted to the side of the 87 Freeway. Motor saved.

FB2C607F-7A0E-4EE3-8D4C-B1E2A4C726B9.png

Those who have car experience know exactly what I'm talking about.
Well ****, I forgot, I’m 26, that automatically means I’m a complete idiot. I’m so sorry, I thought building a couple cars, and daily driving classic cars for 10 years would erase that bullshit stereotype, but some old guys are just stuck up *** holes.

Few things are automatic, but in this case, I suspect your self evaluation could be correct.

In post number 10, I mentioned that if everything was stock factory should work. We had our son’s 67, rad 3 cored 22” water in it, did not overheat in 104F stop and go at Kansas City.
Our 67 440L Charger auto 26” stock rad, pulling a crank up camper trailer didn’t overheat either.
Montreal weather compared to us would be close to the same as New York State or the East Coast moisture wise.
My 67 is 100% stock aside from the flow kooler water pump

What up with all these things electric fans? Maybe i just see the bad posts, but it seems every post about a car overheating has something about an electric fan. That or to much draw on the charging system because of an electric fan. What’s wrong with a thermo clutch, engine driven fan, and a good shroud? And the best part is its KISS. Maybe ill experience overheating someday and experiment with electric fan? But I seriously doubt that the engine driven fan would be insufficient. Please give me our opinions.
I was running a stock radiator with shroud, but with having a mildly built motor, it kept overheating. Installed a 26" aluminum with electric fan and hey presto, no more overheating.

Well I'll revive this. '67 Coronet, 496" w a/c in AZ with summer temps "in" the 120's. Serpentine setup so had to go e-fans. Tried 3 setups. Over $500 each one. Spal fans on all. One had newer brushless fans. 1 had flat aluminum shroud with fans, other 2 had injection molded plastic shrouds. All cooled great at idle and up to 40mph. After that, all would climb over 220° and keep climbing before I'd pull over n shut off. Took forever searching and found an 11 blade 19" white plastic fan from a Chevy van w a 496 in it, reverse rotation. Had an adapter made to go between the Serpentine pump pulley and fan. Clears pullies by 1/4" and radiator by 1/2". No fan clutch. Factory shroud, 2 rows of 1.25" core aluminum radiator. Flowkooler pump. Now at highway speeds I cannot get engine above 176° unless I install 180° or above t-stat. A/C at vents at idle in summer stop n go is 38°. I've surmised that the openings in the e-fan shrouds were not big enough and at speeds, would cause a high pressure zone behind radiator not allowing air to pass through. These were not cheap and desperately wanted e-fans. However, on my car these do not work. The direct drive fan works amazing, even sitting in traffic idling waiting for an accident to clear, engine didn't get over 195° and a/c was about 42° at the vents for 15-20 minutes

What up with all these things electric fans? Maybe i just see the bad posts, but it seems every post about a car overheating has something about an electric fan. That or to much draw on the charging system because of an electric fan. What’s wrong with a thermo clutch, engine driven fan, and a good shroud? And the best part is its KISS. Maybe ill experience overheating someday and experiment with electric fan? But I seriously doubt that the engine driven fan would be insufficient. Please give me our opinions.
Freedom and Democracy. Edward Bernays in 1928: '“We must shift America from a needs, to a desires culture. People must be trained to desire, to want new things even before the old had been entirely consumed. We must shape a new mentality in America. Man's desires must overshadow his needs.”

Maybe that's it.

Auto Transport Service
Back