• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why would this happen

ram250098

Local time
6:24 AM
Reaction score
Have just about all wiring issues solved...except temp sender.
Ground it and out it pegs,

I put my test light on the back and get a nice bright pulse on one side of the gauge and the other side is very very dim..should this be the case?

The fuel gauge is the same.
New temp sender and volt limiter as well as voltage reg.
Thanks AL

Al you need to update the photo, hope to see you at Gravenhurst next weekend or Tottenham, Tom

The brighter pulses should be on the side of the gauge fed by the limiter.. is that the case?
When you look at the bright test light pulses, do the light pulses seem to be really short compared to the off times between the light pulses? (Normal would be round 18% 'on' duty cycle.) And are pulses at about a 1 second intervals? What voltage limiter type did you get?

Unfortunately, you really can't troubleshoot this further with just the test light. What bad symptoms are you getting? Reads too hot or too low? And, do you have a voltmeter or can you borrow one?

When you say 'fuel gauge the same', do you mean you are having problems with that too? Please be clearer on that.

When you say voltage regulator, do you mean the one out on the firewall or inner fender for the alternator? That has nothing to do with the temp gauge.

Well you know your stuff...I found an old gauge from a Charger and hooked it up with a pair of jumpers and it is the gauge that was bad...the Charger gauge was working. I had this happen to me before with a fuel gauge, even though the gauge pegs when grounded doesn't mean it works.
I guess it was just a few things going on at once, the voltage reg went bad and was send to much power into the car which I assume blew the limiter and the gauge or that new limiter I bought that was putting out a constant 10 volts fried the gauge...all I know is my gauge gauge works now that I bought sender number 2 and I now need another temp gauge.
Thanks again for all your advice.
Al

Auto Transport Service
Back