• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wilwood Master Cylinder Upgrade and other questions

watermelon

Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking to upgrade the master cylinder on my 1966 Coronet 500. The car currently has drum brakes all around with a single-reservoir master cylinder.

I am going to upgrade the front brakes to Wilwood discs but I want to upgrade the master cylinder as well. Below is the master cylinder that I currently have and the one I am going to upgrade to:

IMG_4894.jpg
[/IMG]

wilwoodmc.jpg
[/IMG]

I am going to get the Wilwood master cylinder from Reily Motorsports as they sell a package that includes a firewall adapter plate from AR Engineering.

From the below pics you can see that I have a single hard line exiting the master cylinder to some type of brake line bulkhead that splits the lines into front passenger side, front driver side, and rear drums(another Tee splits to each side). The Wilwood has two hard lines exiting from it. What kind of hard line brake plumbing changes am I looking at doing for the upgrade? How do the two new lines from the Wilwood interface with that bulkhead?

IMG_4895.jpg
[/IMG]

i look forward to your responses.

thanks,

watermelon

Your old "splitter" has to go and you need a new proportioning valve for a disc/drum set up that your going to convert to. Get that and your golden.

Your old "splitter" has to go and you need a new proportioning valve for a disc/drum set up that your going to convert to. Get that and your golden.

Let me know if the diagram I made up below looks about right in order to get the job done:

Brakelines.png
[/IMG]

What size brake line is typical on these cars?

I don't have any calipers to measure things with but i'll be picking some up tomorrow. I guess i'll stick with the same size as with what is already in there whenever I go to purchase line.

do you know if i'll need anything more than a flaring tool and tubing bender tool?

thanks for your time,

watermelon

Auto Transport Service
Back