• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window regulator fun coming soon

patrick66

Local time
5:11 AM
Reaction score
I need to get my quarter window regulators working on the '66 Coronet. They've always been a pain to crank up and down. This month, they'll get attention.

I have two spares in case things are beyond fixing.

Lubrication is your friend. Probably all that is needed unless the car sat with open windows and got them rusty. Oil the mechanism and white lithium on the slides.

When I went through my 65 Coronet, one of the items on my to do list was the window regulators. I pulled all 4, one at a time, and solvent cleaned, dried, and lubed. Pulling them out proved to be worthwhile. Put in new fuzzies at the same time. That was when I was recovering from my second neck fusion and couldn't "horse" anything heavy.
Mike

May have to replace the roller on the window channel part that fits into a track at the bottom of the window if it is like my runner. Their is a U tube video of rebuilding the regulator. I cleaned that track and Zink plated them my self. Hope this help's. Stiff roller or worn out is not good. Good luck on the project.

66/67 non-Charger rears have a relatively complex machination (back, down, back, tilt, or something like that- IIRC).

Agree good lube is part of the secret to get them working well.

I like to replace the short roller handles with long handles from the front windows of a parts car.
There's no reason for the rears to be shorter and the extra leverage from the longer handles really helps.

No offense but I wouldn’t use white lithium grease unless you want them permanently cemented shut in a few years. That stuff sits up like day-old oatmeal in a cooking pan after a year or so. I’ve banished that crap from my garage forever - spent far too many hours scraping and wire brushing that crap off of window tracks, regulators, door latches, etc. I just used Tri-Flow lubricant and Lucas red grease sparingly on the slides and rollers on mine and the are working much better.

66 and 67 non chargers have completely different mechanisms on the quarter windows. 66 is complicated, 67 is more simple.

Leave it in the car, clean it with brake clean. Make sure all the rollers are moving and not frozen. Use a good spray lubricant, I like Tri-flow. 56 years of old grease and dirt doesn’t help the operation.

White lithium grease in a spray can is terrible, it sets up hard. Try to remove it, lots of luck.

White lithium in a tube doesn’t seem to do that.

96361BEC-0C64-43B6-865E-E12DF703F022.jpeg BCC03770-B799-4402-8BCB-BE89CDF0E331.jpeg CA19F053-8E7F-4A29-A7BD-DC26BF606756.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back