• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield Wiper Park?

abloch

Local time
11:25 AM
Reaction score
I'm assuming that the 'park', for lack of a better word, is located in the switch and not the wiper motor itself. I was having a problem with the wipers not 'parking' when I turned the switch to the off position. I had to turn to off then an 1/8th of a turn back on in order for them to stop. I have since taken apart the switch, cleaned and inspected it and before I button it up I thought I would ask if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Thanks, Drue

The switch that you're referring to would be the one on the wiper motor? That one works off of the motor shaft to tell the switch (mechanism) what position it is in. The motor shaft might have a cam type locator on it that makes contact with the switch. There's many different styles of mechanisms to tell the switch the location. They might strip on the shaft, break, or the switch goes bad. This switch is on the motor, not the one in the dash.
I'm rethinking this. The motor is fastened to a transmission that has this switch on it.

Attachments

• 367221-870-0.jpg
    367221-870-0.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 417
The big switch on top should be the park switch.

The switch is on the motor for park and it reverses the motor to park

O-K! Good thing I asked. My assumption was wrong. As soon as I get the dash back in and power to the dash switch I can delve into the wiper motor park switch. Thanks guys!

Drue

It's pretty easy to fix if yours isn't working, there is a spring type copper contact inside the motor that gets out of alignment overtime. If your motor has never been touched you should be ok if you take it apart but if it has been opened or played with just look at the outer case there are clocked points that put it in the right location. it a pretty simple mechanism.

It's pretty easy to fix if yours isn't working, there is a spring type copper contact inside the motor that gets out of alignment overtime. If your motor has never been touched you should be ok if you take it apart but if it has been opened or played with just look at the outer case there are clocked points that put it in the right location. it a pretty simple mechanism.

Hopefully this info will help.

The photo of the back of the switch plate is how the contacts should look for the motor to park properly. Sometimes the gear latch will swing around and snag it and push it up or pull it down. Won't park then because the contact surface is already in a "broken contact" position. Usually you can just clean up the contact points with a file, sandpaper, etc. like you do for distributor points, put them back in their position and return the switch plate to the motor and all is well.

Clocking photo is so you know where to put the timing/clocking nib for the body style motor you have. Top group of numbers are for an E body and correct wiper arm park position for that body style, second group, C body, lower group for the B body applications. If you have an E body and put the nib in a B body position, the arms will park in a B body position.

Clear as mud?

Attachments

• Switch plate clocking.JPG
    Switch plate clocking.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 479
  • Switch Plate Park.JPG
    Switch Plate Park.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
Looks like these guys have given you the help you need. There are different park circuits out there on many cars but in general the motor has a circuit that will get key on power to run the wipers to the bottom of the windshield then open the park switch to stop them. And the park circuit is fed through the switch and as was said some run the motor in reverse to park the wipers. Good luck with yours , Ron

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. My park wasn't working either, so I pulled the motor to fix it. Hmmmm, that doesn't look right. Two wires going into one, check. Electrical tape covering opening where contacts are suppose to be, check. Electric HARDWIRED into motor, check. And melted gear, check. Some mechanic had his A game going on this one. And the two way connector disinegrated on removal so I have to find one of those too. Fix one thing, find another one broke!
20150209_135156.jpg
20150209_144448.jpg
20150209_144500.jpg
20150209_144521.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back