• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Winter Driving

Roger63

Local time
11:20 AM
Reaction score
I suppose some of you have seen what's going on in Wyoming the last couple of weeks. I've trucked across that state 100s of times and have never seen it this bad.This picture was taken on top of Elk mountain on I80 today.Winds up there blow steady 30 mph on good days. The winds the last couple of weeks has averaged 60 mph. Seat puckering.
Screenshot_20230223_132815_Facebook.jpg

stay warm & dry, be careful

the whole west has been getting that **** this year
especially higher/rural elevations

thankfully not many people drive up there

instant asshole
just add a lil' snow

not youz guyz, per say :poke:
but;
many people bitch & whine about the dry/drought, in the west
then bitch about when the snow or rain comes too
where do they think the water comes from ?
snowpack & runoff, :lol: well duh

Snow is not the biggest problem it is unprepared drivers that do not drive for the conditions in a properly equipped vehicle with real snow tires

Snow is not the biggest problem it is unprepared drivers that do not drive for the conditions in a properly equipped vehicle with real snow tires
Wyoming is a different animal. Mountain driving in winter is one thing. In Wyoming the roads can be dry and the winds come up and blow snow on the sun warmed pavement, melt and then flash freeze. In 50mph + winds even weighing 75,000lbs don't help. It just means you have a heavier anchor to plant in the ditch.

Myself and our Sublette Co. Wyoming SAR team of snowmachines , tracked Ranger and snowcat spent all day yesterday till dark rescuing stranded motorist/truckers off of Hwy 191 between Farson and Pinedale . plenty of fresh snow and 60 mph out of the East for about 20 hours . Was a huge mess , Hwy 191 closed again today - more wind . Felt bad for the livestock and wildlife .
20230222_150548.jpg
PXL_20230222_201348778.jpg
PXL_20230222_200949632.jpg
PXL_20230222_200953407.jpg

Myself and our Sublette Co. Wyoming SAR team of snowmachines , tracked Ranger and snowcat spent all day yesterday till dark rescuing stranded motorist/truckers off of Hwy 191 between Farson and Pinedale . plenty of fresh snow and 60 mph out of the East for about 20 hours . Was a huge mess , Hwy 191 closed again today - more wind . Felt bad for the livestock and wildlife .View attachment 1423298View attachment 1423299View attachment 1423300View attachment 1423301
Damn man straight from the war zone. Thank you for your looking after those folks.

Yeah: Screw that winters off now. I hated chaining up every night on the Coquihalla but it was more predictable than that prairie 60MPH stuff.

cabo6.jpg

during a break in the weather
hwy 89 Central Sierras in Northern Ca. by Emerald lake south of Tahoe basin
it was 205% of the normal/average, a couple days ago
add another 4-5 feet to that, & it'll be 10 feet more by the time 'this storm is gone'
like 8-10 days from now, with only 1 day it's not supposed to snow

going up to the Kirkwood area, skiers love it if they can get to it
God help you if you live in it or have to drive commercially thru it

Snow Sierras Feb. 2023 210% of average hwy89 by Emerald Lake.png

Tioga Pass Ca. by Yosemite a couple ridges over & down from me to the southeast
this was before the current storms, in a lul/short break in the weather
Snow Feb. 2023 Yosemite area Tioga Pass Ca. snow plowing.jpg

Submit and I are in Florida for week long getaway mooching off of two friends with homes who recently moved here. I hope it doesn't make you feel bad, but it was about 90 yesterday and we floated in the pool for a couple of hours.

Pelicans this morning.
3E99081D-E7EF-4078-A80E-B976F8B2DE6C.jpeg

Last edited:
Ha Ha Ha the WyDot employee in post #15 that @Roger63 found is one of the Farson division plow truck drivers we were working with on Wednesday . At one point he had his plow stuck as HELLLLLL . The photo is from Thursday when they were running the rotary through some very large ( for here ) drifts .

Ha Ha Ha the WyDot employee in post #15 that @Roger63 found is one of the Farson division plow truck drivers we were working with on Wednesday . At one point he had his plow stuck as HELLLLLL . The photo is from Thursday when they were running the rotary through some very large ( for here ) drifts .
Your right drifting is not usually a problem in Wyoming. I remember an old man told me that it only snows once a year and the winds just blow it back and forth across the state all winter.

Auto Transport Service
Back