• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper removal on 64 Fury

Frustration

Local time
11:20 PM
Reaction score
Please advise me on how to remove the driver's side wiper from my '64 Fury. It's clocked wrong, and needs to rest closer to the cowl. Am I missing a clip somewhere, or do I simply need more force? The wipers have been on this car since new. They could very well be rusted/fretted to the splines. Thanks in advance. Tom

Wiper removal tool and it can be a fight i would seriously pad the area's around it ive had them break loose and go flying. Be careful man. Do you have that tool?

There is generally a small clip that is a part of the wiper arm that holds the blade on. It is inside of the recessed hole on the wiper arm, and the release should be visable on the underside. It is very tiny. A small mirror may help you to see it. If the arm has been on a long time you may have to pry it off, but if you don't release the retention clip it will break. Then you need to find a new arm and these things are hard to come by. I second on protecting everything surrounding during removal. The cowl and entire hood. Can you tell I have been there?

Thank you both. I do not have the tool. I looked at a spare set of arms that i have...didn't see the release clip. Looking again now. Thanks for the advise. Tom

He is a picture of some 67 GTO wiper arms. The clip is tiny and drops in a groove when the arm is pushed onto the shaft. That needs to be pushed back before the arm is pryed off. It is generally held inside the recess on the wiper arm by a tint rivet. Without this, the wiper would just work it's way off over time. My dad bought a new 56 Ford that we took on vacation immediately and first time the wipers were turned on, one wiper flew off. Ford would not fix the scratch in the windshield caused by this under warranty and the he ended up driving the car for 12 years with a scratch in front of the driver.

1964-67-Pontiac-GTO-LeMans-Windshield.jpg

Mine has the chrome nut as well. I do not see the clip as on the GTO blades above. Guessing i need more elbow grease and a shot of PB Blast or two. Thanks again.

There is a small snap ring on the chrome nut holding it in place on the 64 arm. If you unscrew the nut too far you displace the snap ring. It is best to loosen the nut some and them get the are to break loose from the shaft then finish loosening the nut. The blades do not have are release from the arms. The blade bracket is bent around the wiper arm and can be bent open to take the blade off.

If it clocked wrong then you should be able to loosen the nut and move the arm where you want it when it's parked. Just re-tighten the nut after. That was the cool thing about that early design. No removing the arm is necessary for that adjustment.

You do not have to remove it. Just loosen the nut some and make sure the arm is free to move. The arm can be very tight and not come loose easy.

If you do remove the arm? put a small amount of anti seize on the splines, Then if you ever remove them they won't be seized

If those wiper arms have been on there awhile, they can be a little harder to move off the splines. Also, when you back off the nut, because there's some spring tension on the arm, can try to bind some. Gently ply on it, after backing the nut off, usually gets it to move.

Auto Transport Service
Back