• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

With Stinger Fiberglass now seemingly gone, what company makes the best glass hoods?

He's the only person I'd buy any fiberglass parts from. No one else has a warranty against blow offs and other issues that might happen.
There was a time in the not too distant past where he didn't stand behind himself! Hope he finally got his act together because he was one of the few making glass for the older stuff.

He's the only person I'd buy any fiberglass parts from. No one else has a warranty against blow offs and other issues that might happen.
So...have you actually bought from him and had to use that warranty?
Because he's shown to be an unreliable asshat when you get crappy parts as far as I'm concerned.

Because he's shown to be an unreliable asshat when you get crappy parts as far as I'm concerned.
Asshat.png

I'm thinking that Stinger/AAR ran unground with some copyright - cease and desist issues or something. I can't see a company ceasing operations in the middle of a successful run for no reason. Just a hunch. They were the best quality laid gelcoats that I had ever laid eyes on. The detail was spot on.

Yes, I've got his afx hood scoop on my coronet. But haven't had to use the warranty. He's always been nice to me.

Two friends have 64 Dodge VFN hoods. They are pretty nice. They do offer Dart/Demon hoods.
Doug

I just got a six pack scoop from Vfn for my Duster. Had they offered a hood with the scoop I would have bought it. Sadly they don't. It will suffice for now but I would like a glass hood with the scoop.

I just got a six pack scoop from Vfn for my Duster. Had they offered a hood with the scoop I would have bought it. Sadly they don't. It will suffice for now but I would like a glass hood with the scoop.
How's the quality? Just narrowing down what company my friend is going to purchase from.

There was a time in the not too distant past where he didn't stand behind himself! Hope he finally got his act together because he was one of the few making glass for the older stuff.
Agreed. And that’s putting it mildly.

I recently contacted AAR regarding a Hemi hood scoop. They advised me that they are currently not taking orders and are looking for a company to build their product. Seems that Stinger is no longer. And that is too bad, my Dart fiberglass hood and hemi scoop from them was drop dead gorgeous.

So I ordered a hemi scoop from Glasstek. Ordering was easy from them and my scoop arrived in 2.5 weeks, as they indicated.

So upon close inspection the scoop is well made. It doesn’t have any hood shape contour built into however so I’ll have to address that along with another problem. I was going to call them about it but after looking at numerous pics on line of this scoop it appears that they are all made this way so I’ll just fix it up on my own.

Some pics.

Scoop is well made, very little work on the gel coat to do.
IMG_9544.jpeg

Left side front. Nice shape from rear to front.
IMG_9537.jpeg

Rear of scoop fits rear of hood nicely.
71349018357__1264F6DC-D3D9-476E-B825-7FB37D833E11.jpeg

Right front of scoop. Here’s the problem. The front corner is pretty much at a 90 degree angle, not sloped like the left side. From the front tip to about 12” back it’s close to 90 degrees.
IMG_9538.jpeg

Upon looking at numerous scoop pictures online that I came across, I spotted numerous scoops with the same issue, mounted on cars. From that I decided that I would fix it up on my own at the same time when I contour the mounting surface. Perhaps I’m being too picky but after purchasing the AAR Hood and Hemi Scoop I was hoping for more. I’m sure that this will turn out fine though.

One last pic to show the front corner shape. I’m not complaining about it, just saying that there’s some work required to it, and the bigger challenge is that I’m going to install this scoop on the fiberglass hood from hell that I got stuck with about 5 years back.
IMG_9535.jpeg

Perhaps others have experienced this, would be happy to hear how there’s went on.

Lastly, I was looking at a Max Wedge scoop just last week that came from Kramer Specialties and it was a nice piece overall and the mounting surface was contoured to match the hood.

i've been researching lately for a Hemi style glass hood for my 68 Dart. The Coronet has the 6-pak hood from AAR but they're not taking orders anymore. In my searches, GlassTek gets the best reviews. I contacted VFN but they don't make/sell Hemi hoods (only the scoop) so I passed on them.
The other one is Unlimited Products. They have the lowest prices but they get poor reviews, do a search on FABO.

I got this hood and scoop from AAR/Stinger. It required NOTHING. All I did was prep it and mount the scoop. AAR told me that they are looking for another company to build their product / not taking orders at this time. Hoping they partner up with another company soon and continue with this quality. Personally I’d shoot them an email for an update.

IMG_2786.jpeg
IMG_5678.jpeg

Must be nice to have so much business that you can freeze the product line. Or maybe on freeze because materials are to expensive. Either way they should tell us what's going on. Is the freeze for 6 months or 2 weeks. Just my thought outload.
Apparently they are no longer using Stinger to build their product, they told me. But are looking for another company to team up with. I hope they get back into production and quality as good as previously.

I recently contacted AAR regarding a Hemi hood scoop. They advised me that they are currently not taking orders and are looking for a company to build their product. Seems that Stinger is no longer. And that is too bad, my Dart fiberglass hood and hemi scoop from them was drop dead gorgeous.

So I ordered a hemi scoop from Glasstek. Ordering was easy from them and my scoop arrived in 2.5 weeks, as they indicated.

So upon close inspection the scoop is well made. It doesn’t have any hood shape contour built into however so I’ll have to address that along with another problem. I was going to call them about it but after looking at numerous pics on line of this scoop it appears that they are all made this way so I’ll just fix it up on my own.

Some pics.

Scoop is well made, very little work on the gel coat to do.
View attachment 1516047

Left side front. Nice shape from rear to front.
View attachment 1516050

Rear of scoop fits rear of hood nicely.
View attachment 1516048

Right front of scoop. Here’s the problem. The front corner is pretty much at a 90 degree angle, not sloped like the left side. From the front tip to about 12” back it’s close to 90 degrees.
View attachment 1516049

Upon looking at numerous scoop pictures online that I came across, I spotted numerous scoops with the same issue, mounted on cars. From that I decided that I would fix it up on my own at the same time when I contour the mounting surface. Perhaps I’m being too picky but after purchasing the AAR Hood and Hemi Scoop I was hoping for more. I’m sure that this will turn out fine though.

One last pic to show the front corner shape. I’m not complaining about it, just saying that there’s some work required to it, and the bigger challenge is that I’m going to install this scoop on the fiberglass hood from hell that I got stuck with about 5 years back.
View attachment 1516057

Perhaps others have experienced this, would be happy to hear how there’s went on.

Lastly, I was looking at a Max Wedge scoop just last week that came from Kramer Specialties and it was a nice piece overall and the mounting surface was contoured to match the hood.
Malex, I totally see your point, no pun intended. Fiber molds are usually drunk after so many pushes.
I don't know who is making stuff for Kramer, but as far as scoops, they are spot on. Nice quality and mounting points are strong.
I think my friend is going to wait on his Demon hood decision until he can see with his own eyes the quality. Fiberglass stuff is so iffy these days even after over 50 years in the game of racing. AAR was the first and only company products that I was really impressed with.
As far as my own car, you guys probably know that I went aluminum with the hood and scoop. I made my own AFX "HIGH" mouth scoop because Kramer could not understandably get one made. The market for such an outlaw scoop was very low to none existent back then. It was a whole lot of work that I don't wish on anyone, but it came out nice.

As a relief valve for the nerves, race cars were never perfect and even the factory race cars came through with misaligned panels and bad molds. I kind of respect a competition car that has imperfections, but it is nice to see a work of art competing as well. Just my 2%.

There was a guy who made steel hood scoops for Ted Stephen's. The guy was from Guam I think.

Auto Transport Service
Back