• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WIW, 1978 Cordoba 400 auto T top car

I agree.Performance is about the same. I wouldn't let it sway me though.
azblackhemi, I would like to contact Mr. Petty. Having a hard time finding that ad.
Edit, I found it on Prescott Craigs List. Price is $18500.00 Out of my range.
Yeah that one is mine. I put it on CL while the Barrett Jackson crowd was in town at a high price to see what happens. Didn't sell which is just as well since I love driving it.

15K max, it’s really gotta be in great shape and if loaded and everything works starting with the A/C and zero rot and I’ll take down the rear bolts that hold up the K frame and then look at the floor pans from where the drivers feet rest to the rear. Open the trunk and check the gutters and above the fuel neck for rot. Check door hinge areas.

It’s worth as much as the next person is willing to pay.

There is a 79 Magnum T top at Hays Classics Phoenix that looks good.
Phoenix Craigs List

I agree with the rear K frame bolt areas being a potential issue.

That actually started in 73/74.

IMHO the 300 was a cooler version of the Cordoba. Here's one in Prescott owned by Don Petty for $8000. Not black but doesn't have to be shipped cross country. I might be a bit biased since I own one but they are really nice driving cars.
[/URL][/URL][/URL]
Thanks, I do like the 300s look over the Cordoba .

I could live with the white with red interior quite easily,
BUT,,,,,,, no T top kills it for me

And Ps, I can be in this black one for less than 18,500, A LOT less

Thus why I am giving some serious thoughts to it

I like that darn 300, no T-tops is a bonus, no seals to leak that are impossible to find.

For $8K Don Patty's is a deal to me! 53,000 miles and a no rust AZ car. Well worth the money.

I like that darn 300, no T-tops is a bonus, no seals to leak that are impossible to find.
How often is a leaky T top seal an issue in Arizona? I'm guessing never if the car gets garaged when not out cruising!
I wonder what ever became of Magnum Guy / Mr Magnums project to get replacement seals available?
MAGNUM/CORDOBA T-TOP SEALS
I've heard of the issue before but it didn't concern me when I was dreaming of a late B for a good comfortable rarely seen relatively inexpensive cruiser, as I didn't plan to be out cruising in the rain. Last summer my plan to never see rain with it was wrecked when a pop up downpour happened while I was at a local cruise, fortunately no evidence of leakage occurred, though the interior did get a little wet before I got the tops out of the trunk and installed as the storm hit, so its possible a few drips did get in! You can see a Trans Am parked 2 cars down from me who had left his T tops at home before heading to the event that afternoon LOL. Truth be known, putting the tops in their bag and wedged in the trunk is a pain, I'd considered leaving mine home that afternoon too, but fortunately decided to wrestle them into the bag and into the trunk that day.
I have had one concern about T tops come up since getting my car. In an online discussion about T tops last year, a couple guys who had owned F bodies told "back in the day" stories of having a T top fly off their cars while flying down the highway! I'd be miserable if that happened to me, I don't want to think about how hard it would be to find a replacement one!
Is that just an Aspen/Volare thing, perhaps body flex on them, inadequate design of retaining pins etc made them susceptible to that happening? Has anyone ever heard of that happening with a late B with T tops?
With late Bs I am a little wary about '79s as they have a one year only fuel tank and finding one of those if your fuel tank rusts through or is otherwise damaged, might be even harder to find than a replacement T top if one of those decided to commit suicide while traveling on the interstate.

1677184172357.png

There is a 79 Magnum T top at Hays Classics Phoenix that looks good.
Phoenix Craigs List
Found it.
1979 Dodge Magnum classic - cars & trucks - by dealer - vehicle...
Not a bad looking car But A LOT more money than the Cordoba is. BUT the 'Doba is a better color combo , IMO. So its a win win for me. And my CFO

Albeit Im getting more info and sounds like its had a minor repair done to the drivers side quarter panel sometime in its past. And sounds like it might need some paint touchup / repairs.
That Ive asked for better pics of .

The seats have some open wounds that will be repaired before sale

interior-1.jpg

interior-2.jpg

As for rain in AZ. Its not an issue. The car will not be a daily driver by any means. Just a more comfortable cruiser for the shows/cruises that I dont want to take the Satellite to

Those seats look like mine did before I had them redone. Be aware they are very complicated and expensive to do them right. They have leather seating areas and those straps are labor intensive. Here's before and after shots of mine. And FYI the cost of redoing the seats was $2000.
20221105_140637.jpg
20221105_140601.jpg
20230119_163914.jpg
20230119_163944.jpg

Found it.
Not a bad looking car But A LOT more money than the Cordoba is. BUT the 'Doba is a better color combo , IMO. So its a win win for me. And my CFO

Albeit Im getting more info and sounds like its had a minor repair done to the drivers side quarter panel sometime in its past. And sounds like it might need some paint touchup / repairs.

View attachment 1423256

View attachment 1423257

From the pcitures on the linked ad, it looks like the front end is a little low. I wonder if the car has been lowered, or the torsion bars are sagging? If its been lowered, that is probably an easy fix; if the tormsion bars are sagging, they will need replacement.

15K max, it’s really gotta be in great shape and if loaded and everything works starting with the A/C and zero rot and I’ll take down the rear bolts that hold up the K frame and then look at the floor pans from where the drivers feet rest to the rear. Open the trunk and check the gutters and above the fuel neck for rot. Check door hinge areas.

It’s worth as much as the next person is willing to pay.
These cars don't fetch any good money. I couldn't get anywhere even close to 10 for mine.

If you own a convertible, or a T top car- it will eventually leak. That's just the way it is.

I agree it's a PITA to store the tops. I used to shove mine in behind the front seats. Otherwise I had to pretty much keep the hatch area completely empty.

IMO T tops (or a targa section) are a good compromise between a full convertible and a car with a standard roof.

I kind of wish they would bring them back.

It also give a modest increase in headroom, unlike a convertible which can actually decrease headroom with the top up.

There are a few cars (like my 86 Daytona) that I only fit in the T top version.

The seats have some open wounds
That was the reason I sold my 300 because the front leather seats needed done.:BangHead: Sometimes I wonder how I could be such a dumb ***.
$2000 was a good price for such a outstanding job !
I am looking for a F body now.

Found it.

View attachment 1423256

View attachment 1423257
The column shift is no go for myself.

The column shift is no go for myself.
I would prefer console. But the fact its not that ugly kinda sorta red cloth is a HUGE plus in my book. Plus it cks so many of the desire boxes I can live with it.

A later model wasn't even on my Radar until a friend of mine sent me a link for this car. Not sure I should thank him or not .

Im awaiting some better more detailed pics should have this weekend .
The owner is waiting on material to arrive to have them redone. But I'm pretty sure the seats repaired is included in the price Ive been given . So we will see

Auto Transport Service
Back