• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WIX WIX-51515R filter for 440

josephqatarcarguy

Local time
4:02 PM
Reaction score
hey guys , i have a WIX-51515R , IS IT ALRIGHT TO RUN IT ON THE STREET FOR A FEW WEEKS? BOUGHT A 73 CHALLENGER AND HAD THIS FILTR ANDIT WILL TAKE TIME FOR THE SHIPMENT TO REACH , IS IT ALRIGHT I RUN THESE FOR A WEEK OR 2? WILL IT DAMAGE THE ENGINE?

You’ll be fine running the race filter. There is not much difference between the regular 51515 and the “R” version. The “R” flows just a little better due to a the micron rating.
the Wix 51515R has a 61 micron rating vs. a 21 micron rating for the Wix 51515. The by pass rating is the same for both at 8-11. The "R" version has a higher gallons per minute flow at 28 vs 7-8 for the 51515.
As long as you don’t have a fram filter on your engine the R version still filters better then allot of other filters.

If you watch season 6 episode 5 “oil filter shoot out” of engine masters you will have a much better understanding of filters and why allot of guys run the “R” version on their cars. Both are high quality filters so don’t be afraid to run either… and watch the show if possible.

Yep, you're fine. Be more concerned with the condition of the oil in that engine, actually.

I run the R filter on my race motor. Never seen any dirt or debris damage during inspections.
Doug

Last edited:
David Freiburger did an Engine Masters show on a dozen oil filters that was interesting.
For me, I saw the WIX/NAPA Gold filters cut open on YouTube, and comparisons made to others. Since then, I try to get WIX brand for ALL my filter needs.

You’ll be fine running the race filter. There is not much difference between the regular 51515 and the “R” version. The “R” flows just a little better due to a the micron rating.
the Wix 51515R has a 61 micron rating vs. a 21 micron rating for the Wix 51515. The by pass rating is the same for both at 8-11. The "R" version has a higher gallons per minute flow at 28 vs 7-8 for the 51515.
As long as you don’t have a fram filter on your engine the R version still filters better then allot of other filters.

If you watch season 6 episode 5 “oil filter shoot out” of engine masters you will have a much better understanding of filters and why allot of guys run the “R” version on their cars. Both are high quality filters so don’t be afraid to run either… and watch the show if possible.
I discovered Engine Masters a few months ago and have watched it religiously since. Learned a ton from the show. BTW, my engine builder has been in business for over 40 years and he turned me on to Wix filters. I'm running the regular 51515 in my 440 '68 Charger R/T. I also have them on my vintage Cadillac and Pontiac.

Wix has been the "local, old longtime experienced mechanic" brand of choice as long as I can recall.
My junkers over the decades got whatever was on sale at the local KMart or whatever - but my "keepers"
have always gotten either Wix or Mopar.

EXCELLENT INFORMATION AND ADVICE....
BOB RENTON

I'm running the regular 51515 in my 440 '68 Charger R/T. I also have them on my vintage Cadillac and Pontiac.
I also use WIX oil filter on the 421 Tripower in the GTO, and a WIX steel case fuel filter in my 3/8 line on my V-code Roadrunner.
WIX-FTW

Auto Transport Service
Back