• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WON'T START !@#$ er

44070dart

Local time
5:10 PM
Reaction score
OK ..I removed the battery to get at the power steering hoses ( a whole other story) and replaced the battery and NOW this @#$%^&*() car won't start ..if I jump the relay it will ..guess I jarred something ..I have three wires and I have no idea where they go or if they are the cause or if they were connected to anything..one is from the battery ground the other two are not hot....just got this car and don't know the wiring and never fooled with it....until I removed the battery it started fine every time ..66 Satellite .... fifth picture is where 2/3 come out
#1 grd from Batttery
#2/3 are together from firewall connector
#4 pigtail from relay was taped cause hot ...
don't see any other loose wires ..

IMG_5436.JPG IMG_5437.JPG IMG_5439.JPG IMG_5440.JPG IMG_5443.JPG IMG_5442.JPG

Last edited:
It's time for you to get a wiring diagram and a FSM.

OK ..I removed the battery to get at the power steering hoses ( a whole other story) and replaced the battery and NOW this @#$%^&*() car won't start ..if I jump the relay it will ..guess I jarred something ..I have three wires and I have no idea where they go or if they are the cause....just got this car and don't know the wiring and never fooled with it....until I removed the battery it started fine every time ..66 Satellite .... fifth picture is where 2/3 come out
#1 grd from Batttery
#2/3 are together from firewall connector
#4 pigtail from relay was taped cause hot ...
don't see any other loose wires ..

View attachment 351182 View attachment 351183 View attachment 351184 View attachment 351185 View attachment 351186 View attachment 351187
did those wires come off?look like they are from a starter relay.check the battery ground.also clean the battery terminals really well.what car and year and trans?

Just for good measure, service the Bulkhead Connector. Carefully remove each bank and spray with electrical contact cleaner. Use the whole can or until it runs clear. Re install carefully as ears may be brittle.

when I turn the lights on they dim when I turn the key to start ..if that helps

go to the search bar,type car wont start.there is a lot of posts,also go to mymopar.com.when there, to the left ,click tools/reference section..then, when your there click service manuals.they have your year.:)

Pull the wires off that starter relay in the second to the last picture. It looks old an oxidized. Clean all the contact surfaces, especially the smaller + wire from the + battery cable.

go to the search bar,type car wont start.there is a lot of posts,also go to mymopar.com.when there, to the left ,click tools/reference section..then, when your there click service manuals.they have your year.:)

Thank You ..the #1 in the picture was a ground to the relay ..when I removed the neg. cable from battery that wire came off..and then took a longer route around the battery tray when I replaced tray and then was to short to reach relay so I thought it couldn't go there ..it does ....thanks good info at that site

so did she start?i learned from members here on b bodies only ,to take pics before you start to repair,,,, work, so you will have a reference.

Last edited:
Thank You ..the #1 in the picture was a ground to the relay ..when I removed the neg. cable from battery that wire came off..and then took a longer route around the battery tray when I replaced tray and then was to short to reach relay so I thought it couldn't go there ..it does ....thanks good info at that site

Pretty sure that wire in picture 1 is supposed to go to the neutral start switch on the transmission. Whether or not it is grounded to the battery or not makes no difference as long as its grounded. It is designed to only allow the car to start in park or neutral. Having it grounded all the time will make it start in any position.

so did she start?i learned from members here on b bodies only ,to take pics before you start to repair,,,, work, so you will have a reference.

yeah good advise, but who would think removing the battery and tray would cause a problem ..poor wiring ..I'll wire it properly ..running again ..thanks

Pretty sure that wire in picture 1 is supposed to go to the neutral start switch on the transmission. Whether or not it is grounded to the battery or not makes no difference as long as its grounded. It is designed to only allow the car to start in park or neutral. Having it grounded all the time will make it start in any position.

found that it will start in gear, don't know if it did before but does now.. will ground neutral safety switch with that wire...

found that it will start in gear, don't know if it did before but does now.. will ground neutral safety switch with that wire...
Yes, if that wire has constant ground it will. The plastic plug end goes on the starter relay, lower left tab. The other end connects to the transmission neutral start switch. It has to be grounded to start so when the transmission is in gear it will not allow the relay to work, but it provides ground when in park and neutral.

Auto Transport Service
Back