• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Words you haven't heard in a long time...?

Paracetamol. I only ever hear it used on Brit Box shows....also "plaster", as in Band-Aid.

Last edited:
penultimate

Talked with a guy, back in the early '80s, who was selling a limousine for a very good price. The name of his service? "Penultimate Limousine Service"...I asked him about the name, then told him "You know what that word means, right?" He says "Sure, it's like "super-ultimate", right?" I told him "No, it means "next to last"". His mouth dropped. I think he realized why his limo business wasn't doing as well as he figured it should. I didn't buy the car, and ended up not getting into the business.

Obtuse is another favorite for me.

Ruckus

ruckus.gif

Miscreants. Ruffians. N'er-do-wells.

Philander. Ladies of the night. Streetwalker.

Errant. Misguided. Egregious

Veritable. Magnanimous. Voluminous.

Frosted mug of A&A root beer tastes great, but not so much from drive-through wax paper cup and straw. Your Satellite looks great, Wayne.

*Ed has entered the conversation*

Gosh golly, Mr. Cranky - I think I understand what you wanted to accomplish here!
You meant single words, right? Lexicons of the language of a bygone era, something like that?
Wellllll sir, allow me to participate:

Rolodex

How'd I do, sir?
I have a ROLODEX setting on the desk right in front of me that we use all the time.

LSMFT not a word but haven't seen it in years. What I smoked back in high school.

I want to know why things like music now "drop" instead of being simply being "released".
Released seems the more accurate term.
"Dropped" sounds like someone is just wanting to be gangster or cool.
Maybe I'm guilty of being fastidious about correct terminology.

Auto Transport Service
Back