• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Words you haven't heard in a long time...?

I will take "justice" and "accountability" for $1000 Alex! And that's out "daily double".

penultimate
I was sitting near a couple of Generals and a group of lesser officers during a Brigade function where we had a speaker giving a detailed presentation of the upcoming battle. He used the word "Penultimate" in his remarks and one General turned to the other with raised eyebrows and said, " Who the hell is this guy? Impressive!" lol. Easily impressed, I thought.....

I was sitting near a couple of Generals and a group of lesser officers during a Brigade function where we had a speaker giving a detailed presentation of the upcoming battle. He used the word "Penultimate" in his remarks and one General turned to the other with raised eyebrows and said, " Who the hell is this guy? Impressive!" lol. Easily impressed, I thought.....
...and I'll note "penultimate" is an often misused word!
:rofl:

Why 'Penultimate' Doesn't Mean 'Best' - Quick and Dirty Tips ™

Maybe the General you mentioned was a Penultimate General.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah, the guy used it correctly, which is why I guess the General was impressed. I knew the speaker and he wasn't all that smart or literate. He got lucky, or he planned it.
Maybe the General coached him beforehand?

Girdle as in a woman's garment.....and probably some guys too.

I know a guy that used to live in a teepee. He was "blue collar" smart but not a college educated smart type.
He must have got some "word of the day" type toilet paper or something because he would interject the most obscure words in to conversations.

I have a pal now, Rick, who also interjects words into our conversations. He's a farmer, country guy and he gets the usage correct about half of the time. But, he OWNS the interjection 110%. lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back