• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

working on 71 superbee.

The picture looks like the correct bumper pad. They were on all of the cars and bolt to the inside of the front fenders with two bolts right behind the edge of the bumper. They will be marked L and R. Your fenders should have nuts made into them for the bolts.

Ah ok I put seam sealer on the inner rock also where I could reach. Problem I had was while I was welding the slag was sometimes burning it on the inside. Also at the rear where i patched the outer and inner rocker I didnt put any drain holes. Should I drill tiny holes at the bottom of outer rocker for water to get out ?

The picture looks like the correct bumper pad. They were on all of the cars and bolt to the inside of the front fenders with two bolts right behind the edge of the bumper. They will be marked L and R. Your fenders should have nuts made into them for the bolts.

Ah I guess mine didnt come with impact pads because they are fiberglass. I picked up steel fenders but they need alot of work. I do see two bolts and wondered what they were form, now it makes sense.

Since my fenders are fiberglass the bumper pad will probably rip off of the fender before it prevents any damage. i guess i will leave them off unless i find some nice fenders in the future.

still working on the car. working on the panel that sits behind rear bumper. taking a bit of time. friend had a heart attack so things have slowed down while he recoveries as he usually helps me.

but in meantime i am also rebuilding the tranny. my question was would it be ok to power wash the tranny shell ? or flash rust would be an issue? or power wash then i can blow dry it with air compressor?

20160907_161051.jpg 20160813_011230.jpg 20160813_011238.jpg

Looking good, sorry I didn't get back earlier about the rockers. Yes my 73 was bad at the ends of the rockers too I spliced them just under the rear door jamb and then patched them at the rear and at the front from the hinge pillar forward I cut a piece out of a 72 charger that was scrapped for the right side and believe it or not I cut the same section from a 75 fury I believe it was, that fit great except the flat part of the rocker you would see below the door was too wide so I cut it and sectioned out the piece. I was amazed that the fury was the same, even the door hinge post was similar.

what the hell how did you even attempt to test the rocker from a 75 fury? lol car looks totally different. thats crazy

When I went to the scrap yard to salvage what I could from the 72 charger I happened to start looking at the fury and noticed the rockers seemed similar at the door jamb area for sure, they were pretty rotten in the middle but I cut out the whole front portion from just behind the hinge pillar right to the firewall and blasted and Grafted it into my 73 charger. I thought it was weird too haha

Question about surface rust. Should i sandblast this area or can i just wire brush it a bit then apply POR 15 on top of the surface rust after the metal prep?

IMG_20161005_160114.jpg

I hand fabricated the same area in my pillars on the 73 I had as well. Came out really well I just took my time and made them in a few pieces and welded it all together. I don't have a shrinker stretcher so I hand formed the pieces in sections small enough to work with. Good luck with yours!

i did the same thing, did small parts at a time. i tried to make the entire piece but it was taking to long.

Question about surface rust. Should i sandblast this area or can i just wire brush it a bit then apply POR 15 on top of the surface rust after the metal prep?

View attachment 364287
I probably wouldn't blast that area. In the past, I wired wheeled it down and used Rust Bullet over it. The blasting could do more harm than good.

Looks good charger72 did you wire wheel and apply bullet or some other seal? Should I wire wheel to bare metal or just to break up the surface rust?

did you spray it with a gun or roller/brush?

Last edited:
I actually used one of those 3M rust strippers, actually used one of these to do most of my car. Also one of those small wire wheel strippers as well.

3MWheel_zpsqwb3timm.jpg

I went all the way down so the metal was nice and clean. To apply I used a combination of small paint roller and I also used one of these sprayers.

IMG_3304_zps2ivln2ja.jpg

i just realized that 3m pad you can use sideways, damn i need those

mine attaches to a grinder and takes forever. i will use it for my hood but the under roof the one you have will be better

ill look for some of those.

nice job.

wow i think im gonna smash something. we set rear rails per measurements. we were test fitting the rear panels to find out the rails are to high. everything was measured perfectly on center hole of the rear perch. what will be the consequence if the rails are lower than factory? these are after market rails and im guessing the rear portion of the rail is wider than stock so this will make the rear perch center hole off. i need to do this so everything lines up at the back.

im not sure if it will cause any issue if the leaf springs are about 1/2" to 3/4" lower besides looking a bit lowered. i plan to lower the car a bit anyways with lowering block.

3afTiyQ.png preview.png.jpg

finally all patching is done. does seem my rear rails are a bit high, going to adjust those next. testing fitting all panels.

all patch work is done. should be reading for priming in a month.

do you think it would be a good idea to install the rear passenger windows while the quarters are off? should i do that first before i weld the new quarters on?

IMG_20161112_033727207.jpg

Last edited:
making progress. wheel wells welded on. just trying to line up the floors properly before welding on everything else.

71superbeepanels.jpg

Quarter Windows will go in after the quarters are on so probably best to leave the glass out. The regulators could be installed easily though

Auto Transport Service
Back