• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

working on 71 superbee.

i was reading its ALOT easier to install the glass/guts with quarters off? or is it easy? took someone couple hours to adjust a window. is that right?

I was at this point a month ago on my 69 bird. I can assure you that put the glass/guts with quarters off is a lot easier! I even put glass with them to make a gross adjustment of what it looks like, then I remove the glass of the guts, install my new quarters and I will put the glass back when the car will be painted.
During the disassembling process I removed the guts with windows on, and the quarters still on the car! it was a real pain in the **s to take them out and took a lotof time!
So I'm "glad" I had to change my quarters to put them back in!
good luck with it!

yea thats what i will do. did you remove the glass with the window frame or just the glass itself?

im having hard time removing the glass from one of the frames so wondering whats best way to remove it if i need to leave the frame in

During the disassembling process I remove the glass with the window frame. When it was out I remove the glass from the frame, doing so I was able to clean up the frame reprimed it and grease it. Then I finally put it back on the car when the quarters were off and once the frame were on the car I put back the glass on to do a rough alignment.

I'm gonna try to find and post some pics.

Here are two pics, one when I pulled out the frame with the glass and one when I put it back

frame+glass.jpg frame+glass after installation.jpg

Ahh ok so I need to remove the glass from the frame as well.

seems there is double sided tape or some tape type sealent on the window. how were you able to remove the glass from what? im afraid i might break the glass. do i need any type of chemical to soften it?

Once the mechanism is off the car put it on a table or on a cardboard. You just have to get the screw face up and loosen them with a socket wrench or stuff like that. Once the two screws are remove pull the glass gently it should be simple as that. There were only two rubber seals per screw if I remember well, to protect the glass from the washer of the screw and that's it.

It is just an advice but yes I guess that you should remove the glass before putting back the frame an the car, it will be easier. And more easier to wash the frame too without the glass, so you won't break it.

See the red arrows, those are pointed the two screws, and the blue one is pointed the rubber seal.
Just loosen them remove the glass and that's it :)

frame+glass.jpg

Mine didn't have any double side tape or anything like that it was very simple. If it isn't working for you like that, I'm afraid that I can't be helpful and someone more accurate might help you. I don't know the quarter window system on 71 coronet... :/
if the glass is fixed the same way on the window frame...

where the glass slides into the channel isnt there weather stripping in there for you? im not sure how the glass fastens to your frame. must be weather stripping or somehing to prevent water sitting in the channel?

You live in Toronto Canada right? Do you speak French? Because if yes perhaps it will be easier for me to explain ^^

But I'll try in English lol
On the pic named "Weather strip" what I circled in black here goes a piece that I don't know the English name but i'll show in another pic ^^ and on that particular piece is mounting a weather stripping. Then the quarter that goes over, it remains a gap between that one piece and the quarter where the glass is supposed to roll up and down. on the gap side of the quarter goes rubber weather lip that is applied on the window and wipe it when it rolls down. Hope that what I wrote is understandable. Here goes the pics.

On the "unnamed part" pic, the red arrows are pointing the holes for the fixations of the weather stripping.
Weather strip.jpg
New quarter on 1.JPG
New quarter on 2.JPG
Weather strip.jpg
New quarter on 1.JPG
New quarter on 2.JPG
Unname part.jpg

heya thats called weatherstrip fuzzies.. i had to buy that kit as well but its not what i mean.

see this picture of what i mean. the frame where the glass sits inside is some sort of weather strip

im guessing it uses a weather stripping like (the picture attached)

i hope it makes more sense. i think they call it butyl tape. im not sure if your car even has a glass channel where the glass sits inside.

SIEhbR3.png dIOb7GZ.png

Last edited:
ok I see now what yours looks like! thanks you're right I haven't glass channel where the glass sits inside, and it looks a bit complicated to remove compare to mine lol. Perhaps someone with a 71 b-body could help you out for this situation. Sorry I would've help you better but I don't that much those 71 b-body.
Good luck with! :)

Dude! I'm not sure how I missed all of this . I figured you gave up . Your a freaking animal! The cars looking great! Keep going

lol i doubt i will give up im always eager to work on it.

i think i have everything i need minus spoiler and chin spoiler.

i hate waiting for parts to continue working on the car. need the drivers side quarter window frame before i can final weld the quarters on.

pretty much all metal was replaced except trunk/rear floor/partial front floor and pillars/cowl

everything else had to be replaced or patched. i didnt know it was that far rusted, but oh well im driving it so at least i know what was done on it. my block/heads will be back from machine shop first week of jan. im hoping to be ready for paint in summer or sooner then re-assemble.

On the quarter window, I have a 71 R/T I will take a couple pics of

i just noticed. did you put seam sealer ? that black stuff. is it a good idea since i have it wide open?
Yes absolutely
I did it because I've changed my outer wheelhouse, I don't know if I had done it if I didn't change those, but I guess. So you could like it is wide open I guess it is not bad :)

Last edited:
should i use brush on type or the normal kind? not sure if brush on is any good

Auto Transport Service
Back