• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wrong brake parts, now losing pedal.Coincidence?

Milesdodge

Local time
11:53 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, earlier this week I had to pull an axle to replace a leaking seal. The brake bar for the parking brake was preventing me getting the axle out so I loosened the brake shoe return springs and did the axle job and put the brakes back together.
I now have the symptoms of a failing master cylinder (it may be failing), but I’d just like an opinion on the pics I’ve got of the brakes. I’m very much aware that the bottom spring is wrong (seems to be unobtainabl) and the car came with that bodge.
However, please comment on the upper right return spring. It’s got a strange bend on it which is causing it to push the shoe up and away from the wheel cylinder somewhat. One of the pics shows the brake bar that separates the shoes is not fully seated due to the above spring. Could this cause a spongy to failing pedal?

CA1FE5F3-C60A-441D-9263-5F8349B7577C.jpeg

DD218DA4-0D54-4C40-8A8A-087CF79EB238.jpeg

1A1C3430-D55B-4072-8C88-49D62D77990C.jpeg

I agree with you about that right hand spring. It needs to be flipped over. Might solve that problem. ruffcut

I agree with you about that right hand spring. It needs to be flipped over. Might solve that problem. ruffcut
I tried the flip, but the hook for the brake shoe then faces away from the shoe. I’m also not sure that spring should be up against the wheel cylinder so much.

Spring is too long and isn't going to work even if you flip it. It's pushing the shoe out instead of pulling it in. I don't see how you can adjust the brake properly. That shoe is going to be rubbing on the drum since it's pushing out instead of pulling in. At the very least, i would order a drum hardware kit and a drum brake self adjuster kit from rockauto or another shop.

Will switching the left spring with the right help?
rear brakes.JPG

rearb1.JPG

First priority on drum brakes is proper adjustment. dont condem the master cylinder yet.

You have problems with those brakes, they are assembled with wrong parts.

****Please show a detailed photo of the star wheel so we can se what you have there.****

Thanks all, for quick and helpful responses. The car was a barn find and a previous owner has lashed this brake set up with whatever is at hand. The correct spring on Rockauto is indeed a shorter version. I understand now why it’s pushing and not pulling.
the bottom spring for the manually adjusted star wheel is another lash up, but does actually work for what it is. I have tried to find the correct spring and not seen it listed. As I’m in the UK I really rely on Rockauto to ship and they don’t appear to have the bottom spring.
photo is before I cleaned up after installing axle seal.

672DDF6C-ABE1-4852-82E4-B1D07EA229FC.jpeg

I think that upper right spring may be ok? The end hooked in the shoe should not be hooked that way. Flip it over and it then should fit in the hole the same as the left side already is.

What year car?
1-Mismatched upper springs one is wrong,
2-Parking brake is fully applied. Needs to be fully backed off and then adjust service brake.
3-That spring and link at the adjuster screw is totally wrong.

Check with Ricksmopars on Ebay. He has the kits with the self adjuster hardware for 10&11 inch brakes.

Please take a new picture of the star wheel. We have seen that one before.

Is the part of it on the left side (in the photo) even present? Or is it missing?

Where I’m going with this, if your brakes are not adjust Ed properly you won’t have a firm brake pedal.

you have a self adjust star wheel, and no other self adjust pieces there. you need new springs and self adjust kit and it might work.

You still have the issue with the parking brake cable is applied on the photo. That’s not going to work either.

Last edited:

Is the part of it on the left side (in the photo) even present? Or is it missing?

Where I’m going with this, if your brakes are not adjust properly you won’t have a firm brake pedal.
In one pic you can see the park brake strut is not bottomed on the shoe. Spongy pedal YUP.

Also appears to be the wrong shoes...
Note the holes where the park brake lever goes in.

I know you are in the UK and don't want to hear this but I think it is time to start over with correct parts. The front shoe looks odd with the slot cut in the upper part by the anchor pin. Spring for adjuster is wrong for manual adjust brakes. With all the wrong parts the PO put on it might be time to straighten it out with correct parts. Bad brakes or steering = who cares how much power!

Thanks again guys, totally appreciate the advice and expertise. I don’t mind shipping over new brake parts, it’s safety that matters. I did wonder about the brake shoes. Car is a 1967 Coronet base 440 model with 10” drums all round.
From memory the other rear brake set up is correct but I’ll double check. Im going to check on Rockauto and RicksMopars to see what I should have.

Where I’m going with this, if your brakes are not adjust properly you won’t have a firm brake pedal.
The adjuster does sit correctly between the two shoes I believe, but the double spring thing is clearly not correct.

Auto Transport Service
Back