• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

XR280R Camshaft

Dajkzo

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:22 PM
Reaction score
OK,

I'm back to my 440 build. (stuff got in the way)

The stats : 440, .030 over, 10-1, .000 deck, Stealth heads that are heading out for porting, Passon 5-speed and 3.73 gears. I like solid flat tappet cams. My 438 B block has the XE282S and I like it. However it's in my ski boat with a tunnel ram. LOL

Looking at the choices the XR280R appears to be a nice roller for the street. Anyone using one?? I want to avoid hydraulic lifter issues. And it's more money, so what.

:popcorn:

Let the bench racing begin.

I don’t know about that cam but if you use it I’d still recommend better lifters like Johnson maybe. Friend has a FE with comp roller lifters and 2 just collapsed. This is the second time.

I don’t know about that cam but if you use it I’d still recommend better lifters like Johnson maybe. Friend has a FE with comp roller lifters and 2 just collapsed. This is the second time.

I plan on solid lifters. If not a solid roller, it will be a solid flat tappet. Running Johnson solids with the EDM hole in the 438.

Although we have a comp cams solid roller its not a street profile, when doing a new cam I would call Tim Goolsby at bullet cams and do a custom. The billet cam costs enough I would go custom and Tim's advice has been sound. I think he likely could come up with a profile that will outlast anything from comp. There are more factors on the street then performance for most of us. We have a solid roller running tight lash on a street car on a custom ultradyne hydraulic roller profile. Impressed how quiet it is. It makes less noise then any of the solids we have, you would never know it is roller, but is a beast.

Last edited:
I have a few customers running the XR280R, and they’re pretty happy with them.
Street friendly profiles that don’t require high spring loads, which makes the lifters job a little easier.

One of them is in a 451 with ported RPM heads, which is in a very stock looking Dart running 3.55’s.
It runs 10’s on pump gas.

Auto Transport Service
Back