• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yankee Express RestoMod Project

Ghost, damn fine job!! You must’ve been in the Army! Lol!!

Took the Right side motor support plate off and redid it to match the Left side.

1125191653.jpg

Here are the sections I'm going to buy out of Michigan to repair the trunk rail area of the Express. I've marked how I want them to be cut out and where to separate the pieces into three sections for easier shipping.

11463.jpeg
11464.jpeg
11465.jpeg
11466.jpeg
11466_LI (2).jpg
11466_LI.jpg
11467.jpeg
11467.jpeg
11464_LI.jpg

Here's the fabrication of the connecting collars from motor to bucket axles. To explain, it goes like this;

I bought a 6" threaded pipe at the hardware store that has a 5/8" ID. Drilled a 1/4" hole through at each end near the start of the threads and then cut the threads off 3/16" away from the center of the holes so the end of the collar would not rub against the donuts. Made another cut to make each piece 1 1/2" long. Took a tool ( still not sure what it was for) and sliced it in half because it A. Fit inside the pipe & B. had a well sunk in the end that was a 10mm hole into which the motor shaft fit snug. Drilled a 3/16" hole in both pieces in such a way that the holes would line up once the tool piece was slid into the pipe piece. Both holes were consequently threaded and a set bolt driven into and through both, locking them together, & locking the flat shaft face in the bore. They were then test fitted for length and fit. Good to go. Total cost: $3.72. lol. I'm a genius.

1126191304a.jpg
1126191308.jpg
1126191308_Burst01.jpg
1126191334.jpg
1126191354.jpg
1126191402.jpg
1126191407.jpg
1126191407a.jpg
1126191407b.jpg
1126191408.jpg

I will of course use different set bolts by either making some or buying some rather than the clunky bolts in pictures.

Sorted out the last batch of hardware, mostly screws. Ordered a new 64 drawer organizer cabinet to put them in. Took down the various wiring harnesses and identifies each. Tossed the 86 Dodge truck ones that were mostly hand built by a crazy guy... Found the three sets of 3 bulb sockets each set that go to the 66 T Bird lights. Took the front end apart and bagged and tagged it all. Set the buckets aside to be cleaned up and painted. Flipped over the hood I bought and removed the padding clips, hinge bolts and DODGE letters. Also the latch and striker, bagged all.

Innovative Ghost

getting some good progress :thumbsup:

better than I can say, I've stalled on my stuff
still runs & drives but have a shitload of parts to install
I need to get back on it, when I have the time & $$$$

you're a good inspiration

Got curious last night about whether I could build a Hemi hood scoop out of steel. So I cut up a hunk of 20GA and gave it a shot, just to see what pitfalls there were and get an idea of the feasibility of it. Here's the result....

1201191041.jpg

I think it's doable. I'll need to go the my steel supply and convince them to allow me to use their 8ft brake. I also need to devise a way to get the rise down the center line, Maybe slice a "V" into the wood table top and carve a block out as the positive and tap on it to sink the center line into the "V"? If I only had a bead roller! Anyway, the fun parts will be the roll over at the nose across the front, the curved legs at the front corners down next to the hood surface and the rear vertical portion that faces the driver. I worked out a way to get the bolt down flanges to work by cutting slider slots in the flange and having a piece of aluminum with the bolts through it in a strip about 3/4" wide that can slide sideways with the bolt shanks sliding into the side of the slots and then slide the strip and the bolts backward into the slots, and tighten them down. So, I think I'll take a shot at it!! Also I think i'll tack thin rods onto the underside in three places going from left to right to keep it from flexing/sinking. With the first rod far enough behind the front lip to not be seen.

Or....lol. For the center rise I could lay down a rod, say 1/8" and lay the panel over top of it and use a negative to depress the panel down around it till I have the depth right....hmmm...I could even tack that rod into place after to give added support in the center...

Good job Ghost, practice makes perfect!

Post an inside pic of the scoop please.

Decided to drill out the other connecting collar for the headlight bucket motor. Took the remaining half of the tool I cut up and flipped it cut side down and clamped it down to the table. it has a small center hole so it was already lined up for the drill bit. Those new Makita Gold bits cut like a hot knife thru butter. Then sliced it for length and deburred it. Next up was the collar itself. Took the remainder of the 6" pipe and sliced off the other threaded end and cut the collar for length. Cross drilled the hole for the set bolt to motor shaft and then tapped the holes. Worked out fine. As I was cleaning up my shop vac began to squeal. Took that apart and pulled a rats nest of hair and crap out of the motor. It was keeping the motor from turning and it was unhappy. All good now.

1202191041.jpg
1202191042.jpg
1202191112_Burst01.jpg
1202191113.jpg
1202191115.jpg
1202191115a.jpg
1202191132.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back