• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yankee Express RestoMod Project

Got the trunk lid bowed correctly. Went to work on the latch issues. This also worked out after several false starts. Setting up the trunk latch release lever. Because I reimagined the entire rear face of the Coronet, the trunk latch was left sitting 8" too low and so was placed on a carefully angled plate that bolts to the original place. This brought the latch up to the right height/position to engage the trunk catch bar. After thinking about it for awhile I tried several times with different ideas to create a latch release that wouldn't get in the way of the 66 T Bird light panel that runs to the inside rear of the plate with very little room to spare or interfering with the close out panel that runs across the front of the plate. So it had to be out of the way within the 'sandwiched area' between plate & latch body, about 1/4" to 3/8" space.
It also had to be maintenance free and pretty much indestructible because I'm not taking this apart once it's all installed and done.
So I finally chose the right item to sacrifice for the lever axle. It's an adapter for the insert driver that has an Allen end and a 1/4" drive end. I found a tiny closed-open end wrench sitting in a drawer that just happened to fit the Allen end nice and snug. So that's the lever worked out. Then I needed to create a 'flat tip' on the 1/4" drive end that would fit snugly in the latch release slot on the back/inside side of the latch mechanism. So, vise grips and a grinder and wah-lah, done. Now it had to be the right length to leave the wrench not jammed up against the plate and scrapping as it swings. Done. Now I needed a pivot point for the other free end of the 'axle'. Drilled a hole in the correct spot of the plate and once the latch and the plate are married up with the axle end poked into that hole, it needed the right number and thicknesses of washers at each bolt to space it out right, so everything worked. I'll be cutting the open end wrench off and drilling a small hole in the stump for a return spring and for the cable pull to attach to. Added a bolt with an aluminum roller for the cable to ride around when pulled, and called it done except for final clean up and paint. Included a picture of the " MAd Scientist" workbench...lol.

0524200828.jpg
0524200828a.jpg
0524200828b.jpg
0524200829.jpg
0524200829a.jpg
0524200829b.jpg
0524200830.jpg
0524200830a.jpg
0425201522b.jpg
0425201522c.jpg

Well, I hesitate to post these pics because they look terrible. Not finished and ground smooth, more tacking to be done. However, what I'm up to is rebuilding the various corners and points at the inside edges of the quarters next to the lid edge. They were in bad shape so I have been fooling around bending up little patches to fit that are angled every which way. Plus tying into the cross piece and tying into the seal rail with the cross piece cap. Anyway, it's nearly sewed up and then I can remove the tail light base and primer it up.

0531201235.jpg
0531201235a.jpg
0531201235b.jpg
0531201235c.jpg
0531201235d.jpg
0531201235e.jpg
0531201235f.jpg
0531201236.jpg

I have to leave off the stone apron under the top of the bumper because it interferes with the Road Runner bumper mounts. The placement of the RR rear bumper, higher and tighter means it had to go. Anyone need a perfect apron and surrounding metal let me know. Also had to reverse the trunk latch components so the bar is under the deck lid and the catch is on the bottom facing up. Just the way it worked out.

Mocking up the trunk dividers and side panels, working out the trajectory, angle and length of the right hand fuel filler pipe....

0606201148.jpg
0606201148b.jpg
0606201149.jpg
0606201218a.jpg
0606201219a.jpg
0606201240.jpg
0606201242.jpg
0606201243.jpg

That last pic shows me where I need to mark the material to cut it for a perfect fit. I will be running the right hand fuel pipe across the trunk above the tank and at the same angle as the one already fitted. The "T" coming up from the tank opening will have identical length hose sections between it and each pipe for symmetry. I don't want a saggy hose hanging across the trunk...lol. The three AN- fittings will go straight back and through that panel, through some aircraft hose bulkhead passthrough fittings, nice and neat. There will an identical panel to close out the right side of the trunk as well. The carpet will be glued down to the wheel tubs where they curve around and glued down to the panels. The panels will get 90* angled brackets, top and bottom, welded to the car with holes for plastic push in pins to hold the panels in place. The floor will get a pad of jute glued to the back of the carpet then to the floor. The tail light close out panel inside the trunk will also get a carpet covering of a shorter pile length, smoother. The tank remains black, the rest in that gold color. The floor carpet is black as well. Fuel filler pipes, trunk hinge supports, trunk gas lift mounts all in body color.

After much fartin around the panels are cut to fit. Next is welding angles up, and hanging down to fasten all of the various corners to. Once they are covered with material and everything is in place with push in pins & the carpet is down it should be fly. Plus, if I suddenly decide to be a drug mule I have plenty of hidden spaces to put the product....

0607200934.jpg
0607200935.jpg
0607200935a.jpg
0607200935b.jpg
0607200935c.jpg
0607200936.jpg

I have decided to place another fill neck on the right side of the cell. That will be the easy way to hook up the other side. I will put a check valve in there too so it doesn't just fill up the filler neck on the other side.
The trunk latch debacle has had me pulling my hair out. I finally decided to stop reinventing the wheel and just changed it back to stock. I fabricated a lock hole panel and formed a depression for the lock face to sink into. Cut the matching shape out of the trunk lid and it's all good. The stock lock has the arm through to the backside of the latch and into the release slot. No problems. I wont weld it in though till I get keys for that lock. The lid is adjusted all around for gaps and level with the quarter as well as closing snug with out rattling.

View attachment 961322

0609201505.jpg 0609201506.jpg 0609201506a.jpg 0609201506b.jpg 0609201506c.jpg 0609201506d.jpg 0609201506e.jpg

Still finessing the deck lid/ tail lights. Since I swapped the latch and catch around I needed to fill in a few spots and clean up errors. Doing the final mounting of the base strips the bottom of the closeout panel connects to and welding into place the mounting tabs for the push in panel plastic dealies that hold the panels in place. Trim this and that to fit better.

0611201439.jpg 0611201439a.jpg 0611201439b.jpg 0611201440_HDR.jpg 0612200924.jpg

Still finessing the deck lid/ tail lights. Since I swapped the latch and catch around I needed to fill in a few spots and clean up errors. Doing the final mounting of the base strips the bottom of the closeout panel connects to and welding into place the mounting tabs for the push in panel plastic dealies that hold the panels in place. Trim this and that to fit better.

View attachment 963397 View attachment 963398 View attachment 963399 View attachment 963400 View attachment 963401
Looks great!! Your car reminds me of the last car I did, few got it till it was done. I had parts from many cars in it, but when it was done, paint and carpet, it was sweet. I used the console from a 65 T bird front to back and basically 4 bucket seats. What you're building is going to be rolling art, my kind of bitchin ride. I seriously can't wait till it's done!!

Looks great!! Your car reminds me of the last car I did, few got it till it was done. I had parts from many cars in it, but when it was done, paint and carpet, it was sweet. I used the console from a 65 T bird front to back and basically 4 bucket seats. What you're building is going to be rolling art, my kind of bitchin ride. I seriously can't wait till it's done!!
Thanks man! I went back through my entire build thread today and saved all the pictures since my external hard drive crapped out on me and, most of them were posted before I discovered photo editing on my PC.. lol. Fixed them up and saved the new pics. I have built a bunch of stuff for this car. Got my juices flowing. Diggin the comments from you and others about my work as I went along too. Great for my ego! lol. I just hope the finished car gets as positive a review as the build has. Not that I'll change anything if it doesn't. That car sounds sweet! The old T Birds were ahead of their time.

Another dash console that I like is the 1963-65 Buick Riv. It's spectacular too. Would look great in any B Body.

yep...keep posting up them pics...they turn out to be an online archive of all your progress

i keep my thread as up to date as possible cause my phone will die at some point

:lol:

watermelon

yep...keep posting up them pics...they turn out to be an online archive of all your progress

i keep my thread as up to date as possible cause my phone will die at some point

:lol:

watermelon
Oh, that's a sure bet. lol.:icon_fU::lol:

Another dash console that I like is the 1963-65 Buick Riv. It's spectacular too. Would look great in any B Body.
I agree!! I like the outside door handles off of a 69 Grand Prix. I just cut the sheet medal around the whole thing and welded it into the new door.

I agree!! I like the outside door handles off of a 69 Grand Prix. I just cut the sheet medal around the whole thing and welded it into the new door.
NOOO!!! Don't entice me with more damn metal work!! lol. damn it.

edit....YES, I went ahead and began searching for a set. damn it...lol.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back