• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You are going to love this... Dave Marcis Daytona Story...

wp7241943.jpg

The car needs to be restored to its original paint scheme.
You could also say it should go back to the #40 Petty blue color it had when Pete Hamilton drove it a Daytona before Milt Lunda bought the car for Marcis to drive.

Any way you paint it there is history.

Side note...

According to Marcis after Hamilton hit the wall at Daytona with that car it would not restart. Bill Gazaway, NASCAR comp director, had it parked in the infield.

After the race Marcis went down there ( he was the new driver for the new owner Milt Lunda) and opened the hood. He found the starter relay, located in the LF wheel well on the firewall, had been hit and the battery cable was knocked loose.

He stuck the cable back on the relay and drive the car to the pits.

Last edited:
You could also say it should go back to the #40 Petty blue color it had when Pete Hamilton drove it a Daytona before Milt Lunda bought the car for Marcis to drive.

Any way you paint it there is history.

Side note...

According to Marcis after Hamilton hit the wall at Daytona with that car it would not restart. Bill Gazaway, NASCAR comp director, had it parked in the infield.

After the race Marcis went down there ( he was the new driver for the new owner Milt Lunda) and opened the hood. He found the starter relay, located in the LF wheel well on the firewall, had been hit and the battery cable was knocked loose.

He stuck the cable back on the relay and drive the car to the pits.

Didn't Pete drive a Superbird for Petty ?

Didn't Pete drive a Superbird for Petty ?
It was a Nichols Daytona converted to a Super bird. Not sure how Petty was involved but I believe the car was not owned by Petty just run on his team.

Dave seems like super cool guy!

I got his autograph back in the early 80’s I think at Rockingham.

This guy has some great videos.

The one on Rottler is awesome, shows that yes we can make machines in the US

Auto Transport Service
Back