• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To all our Hawaii members running from fire..

Photon440

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:10 AM
Reaction score
I hope you stay safe! Looks like a bad situation with those wildfires. I've been in some of those areas.
1691681114551.jpeg

Yup, not good, prayers for everyone involved... The islands are so green you don't really think much about fire, obviously that's a mistake..

Tough situation for sure......hope everybody comes out of this as best they can.:praying:

Mother nature don't play....

Hopefully the firefighters are using the ocean to put out the flames. Prayers to all involved!

Hopefully the firefighters are using the ocean to put out the flames. Prayers to all involved!
Well that's gonna have a few problems.... With the high winds the ocean is gonna have heavy swell so if they have firefighting planes or helicopters with buckets it's not going to be easy or safe to try getting ocean water...

Plus dumping sea water on the fire will poison the soil so very few plants will grow....

Hawaii has pretty of fresh water no need for using salt water...

When is windy past a certain speed, the aircraft can't fly or they'll be adding to the fire mix. In 07 when we got hit, the CDF base in our area was at the Ramona airport, where we lived. That day around 10 am it was blowing more than 50mph. There were fires down by the border at Tecate. We watched an S2 take off, loaded, to head down there. That plane was bouncing all over the place when airborne. Later in the day when we had to evacuate, the winds were higher still. With the fire being added in and generating its own wind, they figured the total wind speed was well over 100mph. Nothing could fly. It was 3 days before aircraft could do any drops. The fire started about 5 miles east of us and was heading west due to the winds. That area had not burned for over 100 years so there was a massive amount of fuel. On the property where we lived, mobile home park on 80+ acres, they had a pile of cut oak that would over flow a 40x40 garage. It was anywhere from 1" diameter up to 4'+. After the fire, there was just white ash, not even any charcoal. 54 residents lost their homes. Luckily no one died.

Firenadoes. To me, that is one of the most frightening things about wildfires. We had terrible wildfires in and around the OKC area about a dozen years ago. My house was flanked by fires a mile North and a mile and change South...I'll take a plain ol' tornado any day of the week. Fire scares the **** out of me, and I'm not at all ashamed to say so..

Plus dumping sea water on the fire will poison the soil so very few plants will grow....

Ash ladened, burnt soil will poison the soil even more than salt ever will! At least the salts will get rinsed out of the soil quicker than the ash!

It's common in Hawaii to use helecopters with buckets of sea water to put out brush fires. I'm heading back to Hawaii from the mainland today. I live on oahu, but have friends and family affected in Maui.

Salt water can be used, some plants won’t like it, but hey, its plentiful!

Ash ladened, burnt soil will poison the soil even more than salt ever will! At least the salts will get rinsed out of the soil quicker than the ash!
In general, forest fire ash has been found to greatly promote new growth due to enhanced calcium and mineral additions to the soil. Putting your wood stove ashes around the garden is a common gardener's solution to poorer soils as well.

As bad as this catastrophe is, wait till FEMA/State and local officials/Insurance agents show up. Record what they say about how they are going to help and be prepared to hold their feet to the fire. We had that wonderful experience but didn't record it. Prepare to go to battle for help.

Not going to respond with the Red X like you did to me but I will tell you, as has already been posted the ash has nutrients and is beneficial to the soil... Clearly your not a farmer... Neither am I but I spend a lot of time working on their equipment & talking about their crops...

Last edited:
The difference between putting ashes on soil and a hard core forest fire is that the fire burns the organic matter right out of the dirt; you end up with basically sand. That is what happens here; the fire is so hot that we end up with ash on sand; rain can turn it into a concrete like state or the wind can blow it away. It can take a few years to stabilize. Grows great Morell mushrooms, though. After the big fire of ‘14 lots of students from all over North America descended on us picking mushrooms. It wasn’t uncommon to pick 100 pounds a day at $14 per pound. Some kids made a fortune. The next summer it crashed and hundreds descended on us and made nothing.

Perhaps mainland America should charge Hawaii X amount for sending food/water/bandages/fuel/cots/tents and so on cause they charge Americans to visit.

Perhaps mainland America should charge Hawaii X amount for sending food/water/bandages/fuel/cots/tents and so on cause they charge Americans to visit.

Disaster Relief Plane Flies Over Hawaii On Way To Ukraine

Aug 11, 2023
Article Image

U.S. — According to sources, a plane carrying emergency supplies and $10 Billion in disaster relief flew over the Hawaiian island of Maui on its way to Ukraine.

Island residents were at first delighted to see the disaster relief plane on the horizon until they saw it adjust its course to avoid the heavy smoke. "Where are you going?! Help us!" said a mother of four who had become homeless overnight when the fires took her home.

Upon seeing the chaos below, the aircraft's pilot reportedly muttered to himself. "Hmm, I wonder why we aren't going there. Oh well! Ukraine, here we come!"

The crew aboard the disaster relief plane reportedly took exciting photos of the Hawaiian destruction that they agree will make for a great addition to their disaster scrapbook.

At publishing time, the pilot had been awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom for expertly navigating the plane around the pillar of smoke that rose up from the smoldering ruins of Maui like a furnace, saving the aircraft from being covered in soot.

Disaster Relief Plane Flies Over Hawaii On Way To Ukraine

Aug 11, 2023
View attachment 1508700

U.S. — According to sources, a plane carrying emergency supplies and $10 Billion in disaster relief flew over the Hawaiian island of Maui on its way to Ukraine.

Island residents were at first delighted to see the disaster relief plane on the horizon until they saw it adjust its course to avoid the heavy smoke. "Where are you going?! Help us!" said a mother of four who had become homeless overnight when the fires took her home.

Upon seeing the chaos below, the aircraft's pilot reportedly muttered to himself. "Hmm, I wonder why we aren't going there. Oh well! Ukraine, here we come!"

The crew aboard the disaster relief plane reportedly took exciting photos of the Hawaiian destruction that they agree will make for a great addition to their disaster scrapbook.

At publishing time, the pilot had been awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom for expertly navigating the plane around the pillar of smoke that rose up from the smoldering ruins of Maui like a furnace, saving the aircraft from being covered in soot.
Interesting route, flying over the Pacific to get to Ukraine.

Auto Transport Service
Back