• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Young, Newbie, and an Ignition problem.. with a twist

DetSon

Local time
3:44 AM
Reaction score
Ok, I’ve been reading archives and posts and anything else I can get my hands on for the last two weeks to try and figure all of this out because I don’t like to be uneducated but forgive me if I’m behind on things. This is my first classic car and things are a little different. I was hoping to get some input and advice because everyone on here has incredible knowledge.
As some quick back ground, 69 Roadrunner with a 440, MP Orange box ignition, bought the car, drove it home an hour, the car was great for a months. I took it on a 2 hr trip, then on the way home, 5 miles from home I lost power, gauges, tach everything dropped and WhaBAM! huge backfire out the tailpipe, I thought I was shot. At the time I thought a wire burned on the header but it was a burnt connection on a poorly sized wire coming off the starter to connect to the wire going to the starter relay. It ran ok but always seemed to lack power, however, I had nothing to gauge it against. Next came a dead battery which I thought was just a battery… then I developed a starting problem which I misdiagnosed as a fuel problem. It would crank a lot before it turned over but for some reason every time I opened the choke plate up it would start.. coincidence? Then, at the beginning of this season, a No-start situation in spring.

My orange box system has a four prong ballast resistor, which I bypassed and nothing. I have a new coil, new pick up, new reluctor, very new appearing wires from when I bought it, new plugs that aren’t fouled. From my forum education I have found that the wires coming off the voltage regulator to the alternator are not hooked up correctly to my knowledge. Only one wire is hooked up and that is the purple wire. I believe they both need to be hooked up, Purple and Green. So I pulled the alternator and the connection for the other “alt field” did not have a tab. I hope this is right but I pulled the screw, which was attached to a clip that had a brush going into the alternator. I fabbed up a male clip so I could plug my Green wire into that. I'm worried that I'm not connected to separate fields but it looks like a dual field alternator although it's not a square back. From my reading, I believe this situation is what caused that wire connection to fry, my tach to fry, and the battery to go bad right? Before I get to the twist, I’m wondering what else has more then likely went bad before I attempt to start it. Is it safe to say the voltage regulator and or orange box has went bad?

The twist, so I fix that alternator connection and want to check my ballast resistor wires to determine Start/Run wires, hook up the battery and nothing. No horn, no fuel pump, lights, whole nine yards. Checked from battery Neg to ear of my voltage regulator, to my chassis, and body, all came in at under .3V. I made sure the Volt Reg and Orange box are grounded to the sheetmetal, checked and cleaned connections. The only thing I’ve been reluctant to fully do is open up the wire harness because it appears to be very new as the wrapping looks superb. It’s an M&H harness but only for the engine components like alt, horn, and ignition boxes. The batt ground strap is new but the positive is a poorly crimped one that I am going to change. I have power going to the starter and to the starter relay. I’m trying to figure out where the power travels from there but I know I have no power going to any of the wires at the ballast resistor. When I checked at my ignition switch, at least one of the wires looked a little cooked/old/maybe all of the above so I reconnected that and prettied up the rest of them. And that’s where I’m at. I’m looking at the Amp Bypass scenario and other articles about no power. I feel like I’ve covered the “it’s probably something simple” situations but I am open to any and all information. Sorry it's lengthy but I'd like you to know everything up front.
Thanks in Advance!

Just a shot in the dark here, but check your wiring from the ignition switch all the way through the bulkhead in the firewall. I had 1 wiring harness burn up inside of the harness connector under the dash, and it looked okay except for a little discoloration on the connector. It wasn't okay inside. I bypassed the connector on that 1 wire in the harness and was back up and running in minutes. My guess is more likely going to be in the bulkhead connector though.

Good luck.

i believe all power goes thru the starter relay before it goes anyplace else. reason being....when starting the engine...the starter relay diverts ALL power from the battery to the starter....once the engine is running... the starter relay distributes power to the rest of the car when the key is in the "run" position. this is why all lights dim when starting....the relay is pulling power from everything but the starter.

a bad starter relay will kill your battery.

i would not rule out the bulkhead connector tho...but start with the easiest things first ...just like you did....i would replace the starter relay if you didnt already. clean the connections on the starter itself, the battery terminals,,,,and make sure all ground straps are present

ground the battery negative to the rad support....ground the engine block to the firewall.

im pullin at straws here but tryin to help ya ! i hope i actually did .

mopars are NOTORIOUS for doing stupid things when a BAD GROUND is present.

UPDATE:

First, I’d like to say I love you guys, because if it wasn’t for all of this (and although I have problems with technology sometimes) and the forums, I’d never be able to figure all of this out.

72 Charger I followed that feed all of the way through the bulkhead and the connector on the large black wire has definitely taken a beating through the years. I cleaned the connection for now but I plan on running the wire straight through the firewall. Thank you

Tpod I took all my grounds off and cleaned them up, which was definitely needed. Everything’s got about a .4v or less resistance through the circuit. Thank you

So I found out the amp bypass has already been done in a decent kind of way and I have 12. ..v of power going all the way to the ignition switch. I checked to the bulkhead, through the bulkhead, both sides of the bypass and I have ignition power all of the way to the ignition switch. The first time I turned the key the fuel pump came on but was groggy. Just didn’t feel like it was running on full power or something so I cleaned the connection of the big black wire going through the bulkhead and it was dirty and had some burnt plastic.

Point being, I have full power going to the ignition switch itself but no start. I can bump it over at the starter relay itself, have power to the starter, seemingly all the way through the wires but nothing when I turn the key. Is it safe to say my ignition switch is bad?

Well, I have an ignition switch on order.

I get power to the ignition switch via the red wire running into it. When I turn the key to the run position I should see power on the yellow wire correct? I get no power to yellow or any other wire on the switch. I have no horn, fuel pump, lights etc. I can still bump it over at the starter relay though. I'm still not sure how to check the neutral safety switch.

I hope this is the fix, I will update "when" I get it running.

put the neutral saftey switch wire from the switch to ground, if it cranks, the switch is bad

I'm on my last thread, I'm so close to ordering an msd distributor I can't stand it.
I ordered the 6AL so I had something good to diagnose with, I did the amp bypass and bypassed and cleaned up the bulkhead connectors. My neutral safety switch was always just grounded to the starter relay and it has continuity to the body. I've put new plugs in, cap, rotor, pick-up, and reluctor. Everything besides starting is great, horn, fuel pump, accessories, everything's working good.
My issues/inabilities
1. When I bumped it over I got spark at the #1 wire right at the plug but no start. So I changed the plugs thinking they were fouled but still nothing. When I bumped it over a couple times I found that I was only getting one initial spark out of that wire and nothing else. And nothing at all out of the next wire. When I pulled the cap, the thin tab on the top on the brand new rotor had warped/twisted like it had gotten to hot. It was bent to the side and kind of twisted. I'm not sure what this means or if I can bend it back?
2. I checked the pickup leads to see if I had 1vAC and I couldn't get anything to read. I don't have a normal scale on this meter but I could see .111 volts when I moved the reluctor past the pickup. I'm going to tinker with it some more but I hate continuously bumping the thing over. The ohms check on the pickup out of the box but I just refuse to believe that it's bad. I feel like I'm missing something and before I pull the pickup I wanted to check into it.
The distributor turns when I bump it over and I'm real close to .08 on the gap between reluctor/pickup. It's like a thick business card gap because I don't have a plastic feeler.
The reluctor doesn't spin all the way around by hand, you kind of have to pick up on the shaft it's on to get it to spin, that's correct right? Also, the pick up wobbles slightly when you touch it. Mine only had one screw holding it to the plate it's connected to, is this correct? It just seems for something that has a .08 tolerance, it sure has a lot of movement.

Any help is greatly appreciated as always. I'm just sick of wasting more time because I can't fix it myself.

Um 3 questions -

Did you replace the starter relay?

Do you have a new battery or is it fully charged?

Do you have a wiring diagram for your car?

I am confused about why you would pull the non used lug from you alternator to add a connector because the green wire was not hooked up? Have you replaced the coil?

You proved the alt is good and charging?

Have not replaced the starter but it does crank, over and over.
Battery is new as of last year and it had a good charge, it stays on a trickle when I'm not using it.
Have the wiring diagrams.
Coil is brand new and I get spark from the coil to the distributor when I ground the wire.
Is there a way to check if the alternators good without the car running? I wouldn't be surprised if it was bad but I haven't been able to run it to check it's output.
So as far the the terminals on the alternator, I'm pretty certain I have the later dual field alternator, but coming from my voltage regulator only one of the wires, the purple, was plugged into the alternator. On the schematics, it looks like both should be plugged in from the voltage regulator, green and purple? So I took the "cap" if you will off what I believe is the second field terminal and put a spade connector so I could plug the green wire into it.

Hope that helps

Have not replaced the starter but it does crank, over and over.
Battery is new as of last year and it had a good charge, it stays on a trickle when I'm not using it.
Have the wiring diagrams.
Coil is brand new and I get spark from the coil to the distributor when I ground the wire.
Is there a way to check if the alternators good without the car running? I wouldn't be surprised if it was bad but I haven't been able to run it to check it's output.
So as far the the terminals on the alternator, I'm pretty certain I have the later dual field alternator, but coming from my voltage regulator only one of the wires, the purple, was plugged into the alternator. On the schematics, it looks like both should be plugged in from the voltage regulator, green and purple? So I took the "cap" if you will off what I believe is the second field terminal and put a spade connector so I could plug the green wire into it.

Hope that helps

When the electronic conversion was done there may have been a reason the alternator was changed to one wire,

And starter relay not starter, have you replaced the relay?

Do you have the instructions for the orange box? if not find them online. If you have not replaced the starter relay go to rockauto.com and or local store and get one.

There very well could have been a reason, however, judging by the rest of the craftsmanship I wouldn't be surprised if whoever just left it off. Will I know if the electrical system is unhappy with my new connection? Will it fry the voltage regulator?
Ahh, no, the relay is one of the only things I haven't replaced including the voltage regulator. Will that cause it to not get spark out of the distributor?
I printed off the instructions and that's how I found out that a lot of the stuff was not correct. I disconnected all of the orange box wiring but maybe it was something in the distributor all along and the orange box is fine...

I had some similar problems long time ago with a 70Road Runner. I spent a lot of time & money trying to fix it. Changed starter,coil,distributor,ign box,main engine harness,and even a new ignition switch.No matter what I did the car would only fire as I turn the ignition towards the off position.It would spin over,but only fired as I went to turn it off.After this I bypassed a couple of bulkhead connections.Still nothing.It ended up being the cheapest possible solution the starter relay.Sometimes when we get aggravated we can overlook the simplest things.

I'm on my last thread, I'm so close to ordering an msd distributor I can't stand it.
I ordered the 6AL so I had something good to diagnose with, I did the amp bypass and bypassed and cleaned up the bulkhead connectors. My neutral safety switch was always just grounded to the starter relay and it has continuity to the body. I've put new plugs in, cap, rotor, pick-up, and reluctor. Everything besides starting is great, horn, fuel pump, accessories, everything's working good.
My issues/inabilities
1. When I bumped it over I got spark at the #1 wire right at the plug but no start. So I changed the plugs thinking they were fouled but still nothing. When I bumped it over a couple times I found that I was only getting one initial spark out of that wire and nothing else. And nothing at all out of the next wire. When I pulled the cap, the thin tab on the top on the brand new rotor had warped/twisted like it had gotten to hot. It was bent to the side and kind of twisted. I'm not sure what this means or if I can bend it back?
2. I checked the pickup leads to see if I had 1vAC and I couldn't get anything to read. I don't have a normal scale on this meter but I could see .111 volts when I moved the reluctor past the pickup. I'm going to tinker with it some more but I hate continuously bumping the thing over. The ohms check on the pickup out of the box but I just refuse to believe that it's bad. I feel like I'm missing something and before I pull the pickup I wanted to check into it.
The distributor turns when I bump it over and I'm real close to .08 on the gap between reluctor/pickup. It's like a thick business card gap because I don't have a plastic feeler.
The reluctor doesn't spin all the way around by hand, you kind of have to pick up on the shaft it's on to get it to spin, that's correct right? Also, the pick up wobbles slightly when you touch it. Mine only had one screw holding it to the plate it's connected to, is this correct? It just seems for something that has a .08 tolerance, it sure has a lot of movement.

Any help is greatly appreciated as always. I'm just sick of wasting more time because I can't fix it myself.

The reluctor should not spin by hand, it should only spin when the engine cranks or is running. How else will the timing be correct? Check your distributor or swap it out with a known good distributor if you have one handy.

Number one thanks for all the input from everyone.

Starter relays on the hit list. Hopefully napa or someone has it an I'll test it out tomorrow.
As far as the reluctor, it should spin with the shaft it's attached to slightly right? Like maybe a quarter rotation? If not, that may be my problem. Unfortunately I don't have another one but that might be one of the last things on the list.

Number one thanks for all the input from everyone.

Starter relays on the hit list. Hopefully napa or someone has it an I'll test it out tomorrow.
As far as the reluctor, it should spin with the shaft it's attached to slightly right? Like maybe a quarter rotation? If not, that may be my problem. Unfortunately I don't have another one but that might be one of the last things on the list.

It will rotate as much as the advance prings and slots allow it to but it should not spin a full rotation.

I probably should have known that. I know when I pulled the pickup out I noticed there was only one spring so I put another one on there.
Starter relay is on order since no one around here has it. Hopefully I'm updating with a running engine.

Any ideas on why the top of the rotor would twist/warp like that. Is the MSD sending to much juice through for those stock parts? I haven't read anywhere that people has to upgrade internals.

Any ideas on why the top of the rotor would twist/warp like that. Is the MSD sending to much juice through for those stock parts? I haven't read anywhere that people has to upgrade internals.

Could it be just a misaligned cap install? Putting the cap on at any angle can catch the side of the contact strip and bend it, once the rotor turns it will realign to some degree but the twist will still be evident.

Well.... new starter relay didn't work either. New MP distributor showed up yesterday, now I'm researching to make sure I install it correctly. I couldn't get myself to buy the MSD dist.

So I am kinda lost here....do you have no crank when you turn the key? I see you replaced the starter relay, but not sure if you replaced the ignition switch. You mentioned you checked voltage coming in to the switch and had nothing coming out...that would be my first step. Next you mentioned you bypassed the ballast resistor...I would break out the wiring diagram and make sure that it is wired correctly. A bad ballast resistor will allow the engine to fire up but it will die when you let the key off of the "start" position. Wiring problems are my worst nightmare, but if you approach them logically and with a calm disposition you will find the problem presents itself and it is easy. I have shotgunned parts at many old mopars hoping to fix the problem only to step back, have a smoke and a beer and treat the problem and not the symptom....and realize I just spent a lot of time and money needlessly. Use the tools you have at hand i.e. wiring diagram and a multimeter and make sure you have power where you are supposed to and good grounds. If you can jump the starter with a screwdriver you obviously have good voltage at the starter...the weak link seems to be that ignition switch! Sorry to write such a long rant...I hope you get it sorted out! If you need more help, feel free to PM me!

Auto Transport Service
Back