• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your opinions please

Which steering wheel do you like

• Factory black plastic two spoke wheel with full horn ring

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • Factory wood rim wheel with 3 spokes

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • Aftermarket wood rim wheel with 3 spokes

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • other

Votes: 20 13.9%

• Total voters
I went and dug out a old 67 wheel I have and after looking at it, you might be able to use a 67-up wheel. It looks like they used the chrome trim around the center to size the wheel to fit the column. It's a good 1/2 wider than the base circle of the wheel. So the chrome section might just ride around the outside of the 66 column. When I ran the 66 wheel on my 67 column, there was about that much of a gap around between the chrome ring and the column.

If you want Richard, I can send you the wheel and trim ring so you can try it out on the car. If it fits, then you know you can go searching for a 3 spoker and you owe me a Coke next time I'm in Phoenix. If it doesn't work, then you know you'll have to get a 66 wheel.

And yes, not only is the trim around the base of the column different on the dash, (it's wider and made of plastic) but also the dash itself is wider to accomodate the wider collapsible column. Also, the mounting is little different underneath, 67 uses 3 mounting points, 66 uses 2.

Hi Mike,

Not only will you get a large cool drink, but a big fat steak, and all of the side fixings of your choice my friend!!! :D It would be GREAT to have that 67 wheel to use as a mock-up for my 66! Please e-mail me your PayPal account so that I can send you some cash to cover all of the shipping charges and for whatever you would need for the steering wheel ok? I can also give you my mailing information then. So you don't have to look for it, my e-mail is [email protected]

Man Mike, I REALLY like the look of your 3 spoke wheel in your 67 and even though it would not be techniquely correct for my 66, neither is my aftermarket tach, gauges and my console mounted aftermarket shifter that I'm going to try and hide underneath a 4 speed console top plate and shifter boot! :D The 67-69 wheel will still look a LOT more factory than any aftermarket wheel also, so thanks my friend, if that 67-69 wheel will work, that's what I'm going with, IF I can find one WITH a horn ring in excellent condition! ;)

Thanks againg to ALL of you folks who have taken your time to help me out on this subject. I can't wait to get your ideas on hiding aftermarket shifters in factory consoles!!! ;) Man, I really LOVE this web site!!!:D

Richard

My 66 Coronet 500 in race trim in 1997.jpg

No worries about a steak, just glad someone can put this thing to good use. The wheel itself isn't worth saving since they got the repops now, but maybe you can get the trim ring repaired and rechromed?

Email on the way..

Since we on the topic of steering wheels, anyone know why some 67's came with a full ring for the horn and some came with only partial?

No worries about a steak, just glad someone can put this thing to good use. The wheel itself isn't worth saving since they got the repops now, but maybe you can get the trim ring repaired and rechromed?

Email on the way..

Since we on the topic of steering wheels, anyone know why some 67's came with a full ring for the horn and some came with only partial?

Hi Mike,

The cars received full or partial horn rings depending on the trim level. Low and medium priced cars usually came with partial horn rings and upper level cars got the full rings. One exception to that seems to be the 66 Coronet's, as according to my 1966 parts book, all 66 Coronets received a full horn ring, part #2768108, with the 2 spoke plastic steering wheels in various colors. The only other option for 66 Coronets was the 3 spoke wood grain wheel.

The 66 Satellite's and Belvedere's also received either the 2 spoke plastic wheels, or the 3 spoke wood grain wheel, but it looks like they could have come with either a full horn ring, part #2530268, or partial horn ring, part #2768107 on the 2 spoke plastic wheels.

I haven't looked up the steering wheel options on the 67 B-Body cars in my 67 parts book yet, but I would be happy to if anybody would like me to. :)

Thanks again Mike and I'll go answer your e-mail now my friend. :yes::grin:

Richard

Thanks to all of you who have given me some great ideas, I've made up my mind on which steering wheel to use. :yes::grin: If I find out that the 67-69 three spoke wheels will fit up to my 66 steering column properly, I will use a black three spoke wheel with a partial horn ring like the one shown in picture #1 below. If the 67-69 wheels do not work on my 66, I will use my original factory 2 spoke black plastic wheel with the full horn ring as shown in picture #2 below.

Done deal, thanks guy's! :sSig_goodjob:

Richard

1967 Coronet steering wheel- -partial horn ring.jpg

1966 coronet 500 convertible with white interior #10.jpg

Richard, fantastic choices. I really hope the 3-spoke with the partial ring works for you.

Thanks my friend. My good friend Mike (Mike_Dodge) is sending me a spare blue 67 Coronet 3 spoke wheel with the partial horn ring that I can use as a mock up on my 66 steering column to see if it will work. If it does work, then I can start looking for a really nice used, or maybe a reproduction black 3 spoke wheel and a used partial horn ring in excellent condition.

I just found and bought an awesome NOS 66 full horn ring for my original 2 spoke steering wheel yesterday on ebay, so that style wheel is still a very real possibility also.:yes: The final decision will be based on if I can find an excellent used 2 spoke wheel or not, as my cars original is nice, but not really nice and since they are reproducing the 67-69 3 spoke wheels, that may help me to make my final decision.

Richard

Well, I got lucky on ebay and bought a MINT 67 Coronet partial 3 spoke horn ring and the coolest part of the whole deal, is that the seller was located only about 8 miles from my home here in Phoenix! :grin::banana:

I now have a 1966 NOS 2 spoke full horn ring and a mint 67 partial horn ring, so now it will all boil down to which is more cost effective, restoring my original 1966 2 spoke steering wheel, or buying a brand new reproduction 3 spoke wheel.

Richard

1966 Coronet 500 2 spoke horn ring bought on ebay.jpg

1967 Coronet partial horn ring #1.jpg

Yeah. What he said. Cause if you grab the top of the wheel, the full ring will be in the way

One item that I'm having a hard time making my mind up on, is what steering wheel to use. I have one of the black plastick steering wheels with the full horn ring that came on my car from the factory, (picture #3) but I was also looking at maybe trying to find one of the factory 1966-67 wooden rim steering wheels, (picture #4) or maybe an aftermarket wheel similar to picture #4? Any other suggestions?
I have the #3 in my 67 charger.
Factory wood rim wheel with 3 spokes

I like the Factory black plastic two spoke wheel with full horn ring, i think it looks classy

Well, I got lucky on ebay and bought a MINT 67 Coronet partial 3 spoke horn ring and the coolest part of the whole deal, is that the seller was located only about 8 miles from my home here in Phoenix! :grin::banana:

I now have a 1966 NOS 2 spoke full horn ring and a mint 67 partial horn ring, so now it will all boil down to which is more cost effective, restoring my original 1966 2 spoke steering wheel, or buying a brand new reproduction 3 spoke wheel.

Richard

I usually like the woodgrain wheels on most cars but I think the 3-spoke black looks best on yours. Your interior has a lot of black and chrome so it would look like it belongs there. I doubt you'll get it restored for less than what you can buy a new one for. When you get ready to purchase the new wheel, contact Mike Ross at www.beaparts.com or call him at 330-725-3990 to order. He carries all of the PG Classics parts, has great customer service and he's in the USA. Tell him I said hi.

Dave

Thank you all for the great imput, I appreciate it very much. :yes:

I just picked up a brand new reproduction black plastic 3 spoke steering wheel last week from a friend of mine who works in the parts department at one of our local Mopar dealerships here in Phoenix. It is Mopar part #P5153385 but is a Goodmark wheel rather than a P.G. Classic wheel like I thought it was. :( Goodmark has what I believe is their part number on the box and is #2111-540-681 and say's that it's a "authentic restoration product" and has the red, white and blue "MOPAR" logo on the box. They list it as a 68-69 A and B-Body application where as P.G. Classic list their wheel as a 67-69 A and B-Body application.

I haven't seen a P.G. Classic wheel up close and personal, but I wonder if it has a "seam" on the rim like this new Goodmark wheel has? I have an old well used original steering wheel from a 67 Coronet and it doesn't look to me like the original wheels had a two piece rim with a seam. :confused: Other that the above mentioned seam, the Goodmark looks pretty good, but if any of you have a really nice original 67-69 3 spoke plastic wheel, or one of the new reproduction P. G. Classic wheels and can verify if they have a seam in the rim, I would appreciate your help on this possible issue with the Goodmark wheel very much. :sSig_thanks:

Richard

My two cents, I believe my first 66 had the 3 spoke, and would be my choice, to me it looks more performance oriented...good luck!

Thank you all for the great imput, I appreciate it very much. :yes:

I just picked up a brand new reproduction black plastic 3 spoke steering wheel last week from a friend of mine who works in the parts department at one of our local Mopar dealerships here in Phoenix. It is Mopar part #P5153385 but is a Goodmark wheel rather than a P.G. Classic wheel like I thought it was. :( Goodmark has what I believe is their part number on the box and is #2111-540-681 and say's that it's a "authentic restoration product" and has the red, white and blue "MOPAR" logo on the box. They list it as a 68-69 A and B-Body application where as P.G. Classic list their wheel as a 67-69 A and B-Body application.

I haven't seen a P.G. Classic wheel up close and personal, but I wonder if it has a "seam" on the rim like this new Goodmark wheel has? I have an old well used original steering wheel from a 67 Coronet and it doesn't look to me like the original wheels had a two piece rim with a seam. :confused: Other that the above mentioned seam, the Goodmark looks pretty good, but if any of you have a really nice original 67-69 3 spoke plastic wheel, or one of the new reproduction P. G. Classic wheels and can verify if they have a seam in the rim, I would appreciate your help on this possible issue with the Goodmark wheel very much. :sSig_thanks:

Richard

Quote from Mike at BEA Parts..."No seam on ours" :no:

Dave

hello Dave,

Did Mike at BEA happen to mention where they get their steering wheels from? Do they sell the P.G. Classic steering wheels, make their own, or get them from another supplier? I was taking a close look at my new wheel from Mopar Performance, who gets them from Goodmark and found some noticeable blemishes on the back side of the top of the wheel where it can be seen, so I returned it to my buddy at the local Mopar dealership where I bought it today and he called Goodmark and is now waiting for a return phone call from them to see if this was just a quality problem on my wheel, or if it's a problem on all of their wheels. If it's a problem on all of their wheels, I will return it and get a refund and will then buy one from P.G. Classic or maybe BEA if I can find out who makes their wheels for them. I can buy the P.G. Classic wheel in black for $199.00 plus shipping, so BEA would also have to meet or beat that price.

Thanks for your help Dave, I appreciate it very much! :yes:

Richard

hello Dave,

Did Mike at BEA happen to mention where they get their steering wheels from? Do they sell the P.G. Classic steering wheels, make their own, or get them from another supplier? I was taking a close look at my new wheel from Mopar Performance, who gets them from Goodmark and found some noticeable blemishes on the back side of the top of the wheel where it can be seen, so I returned it to my buddy at the local Mopar dealership where I bought it today and he called Goodmark and is now waiting for a return phone call from them to see if this was just a quality problem on my wheel, or if it's a problem on all of their wheels. If it's a problem on all of their wheels, I will return it and get a refund and will then buy one from P.G. Classic or maybe BEA if I can find out who makes their wheels for them. I can buy the P.G. Classic wheel in black for $199.00 plus shipping, so BEA would also have to meet or beat that price.

Thanks for your help Dave, I appreciate it very much! :yes:

Richard

All or nearly all of the items Mike at BEA Parts carries are manufactured by PG Classics. Peter Gee is a Chinaman who lives in Canada and has all of his parts manufactured in China. They make a run of parts on the molds without part numbers for sale on PG's website and Ebay, then another run with part numbers for Mike. Mike has them licensed by Mopar in order to use the part numbers and Chrysler logos. He also has to do some of the final detailing, painting, subassembly etc. to make it correct for your car. So you can see why they're typically a little higher in price compared to PG. Everything you get from Mike will be top notch perfect NOS quality parts. I've spent thousands with him over the years and will continue for many more.
Give him a call, tell him I said hi. 330-725-3990 www.beaparts.com

Dave

All or nearly all of the items Mike at BEA Parts carries are manufactured by PG Classics. Peter Gee is a Chinaman who lives in Canada and has all of his parts manufactured in China. They make a run of parts on the molds without part numbers for sale on PG's website and Ebay, then another run with part numbers for Mike. Mike has them licensed by Mopar in order to use the part numbers and Chrysler logos. He also has to do some of the final detailing, painting, subassembly etc. to make it correct for your car. So you can see why they're typically a little higher in price compared to PG. Everything you get from Mike will be top notch perfect NOS quality parts. I've spent thousands with him over the years and will continue for many more.
Give him a call, tell him I said hi. 330-725-3990 www.beaparts.com

Dave

Hello again Dave,

Well, after looking closely at the Goodmark reproduction 3 spoke black plastic steering wheel mentioned above, which I bought from Mopar Performance via a local dealership here in Phoenix, I noticed that not only was there an annoying seam around the outside of the rim, but there was also some molding imperfections at the 12 o'clock position on the backside of the rim, so I took the wheel back to my buddy at the dealership to talk to him about all of these issues.

He called Goodmark directly and the gentleman he talked to pulled a half dozen or so of the identical wheels to mine that he had in stock and found that ALL of them had these same imperfections and unsightly looking seam and said that it was most likely a problem with the mold that was used to make their wheels and that there was not much Goodmark could do about these two problems.

So to make a long story shorter, I returned the Goodmark wheel to my buddy today and he refunded my money, so my next step will be to call Mike at BEA and order one of his 3 spoke black plastic wheels. I will let him know that you said hi and that you referred me to him.

Thanks again for your help and I will update you again after I receive his wheel.

Richard

Auto Transport Service
Back