• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Z Bar/Torque Shaft Bracket Location

young99

Local time
2:49 AM
Reaction score
I'm almost at the point where I can weld in the Z bar bracket for my auto to 4 speed swap. Does anyone have a good picture of the weld location or an original picture? I have found 1 maybe 2 pictures but would like to verify this before I get this put in.

Thanks

The notch is behind the access panel from the drivers side wheel well. Should be able to see it from there, just pull the cover.

The notch is behind the access panel from the drivers side wheel well. Should be able to see it from there, just pull the cover.
Yes, indeed. The nut for the ballstud will be centered in that access opening.

Here are a few shots of a '68 frame rail with the bracket attached. If you compare the pictures to your car it will make sense.
P1010114.jpgP1010115.jpgP1010116.jpg

A few more pictures if you want to compare.
Hey Dan, or would you happen to have a cutout that you would sell to help me with this photo of my car attached? PO torched it out, so I'm rebuilding that soon. Im using your bracket I bought a couple yrs back to help with this hack job. If not ill have to fab something up. I will be placing an order with your place here this week anyhow.

IMG_0210.jpeg

here's the bracket setup that I will be removing.

IMG_0202.jpeg

Hey Dan, or would you happen to have a cutout that you would sell to help me with this photo of my car attached? PO torched it out, so I'm rebuilding that soon. Im using your bracket I bought a couple yrs back to help with this hack job. If not ill have to fab something up. I will be placing an order with your place here this week anyhow.

View attachment 1592207

here's the bracket setup that I will be removing.

View attachment 1592214
I don't have anything other than what's in the pics, and they are really not complete enough to replace all of what has been removed. Shouldn't be too hard to locate what you are looking for as you could get that piece out of any 66-70 B.

I don't have anything other than what's in the pics, and they are really not complete enough to replace all of what has been removed. Shouldn't be too hard to locate what you are looking for as you could get that piece out of any 66-70 B.
10-4 thanks for the reply

Hey guys, I removed the old homemade bracket and eyeballed the new bracket purchased from brewers.

*Question 1:
Does the tit on the bottom of the bracket suppose to locate inside a slot, or is it just a height setting while leaving a gap for weld?

*Question 2:
If the tit is not a locator, do I run this bracket parallel with the frame? Any vertical pictures or dims off frame would help. I rather not wait till car and trans is in to weld this in.

Thanks in advance!
Matt

IMG_0292.jpeg

IMG_0294.jpeg

IMG_0295.jpeg

IMG_0296.jpeg

IMG_0297.jpeg

You are correct, the notch in the frame rail locates the bracket correctly.
That's how I did it on my car.
4 speed mount.jpg

4 speed mount1.jpg

4 speed mount2.jpg

4 speed mount3.jpg

Hey guys, I removed the old homemade bracket and eyeballed the new bracket purchased from brewers.

*Question 1:
Does the tit on the bottom of the bracket suppose to locate inside a slot, or is it just a height setting while leaving a gap for weld?

*Question 2:
If the tit is not a locator, do I run this bracket parallel with the frame? Any vertical pictures or dims off frame would help. I rather not wait till car and trans is in to weld this in.

Thanks in advance!
Matt

View attachment 1595947

View attachment 1595948

View attachment 1595949

View attachment 1595950

View attachment 1595951
Are you going to repair the apron piece that's cut out?
Edit* sorry I see you're addressing that!

Grind the tab off the bottom of your bracket. Chrysler started using that tab to locate bracket starting in 71 model year. We sell the bracket with and without the tab.

Auto Transport Service
Back