• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ZDDP additive

point taken,but you can find a oil that puts out what you are looking fore.

The necessary oils are out there, but keep in mind the "off the shelf oil" is a death pill for a flat tappet engines.The big deal in 2008 was the year that the big companies had to Install Catalytic converters on Diesels,and The belief is Zinc damages catalytic converters, so the additive was removed from all oils.

Been running the new MOBIL 1 0w40 in my 451 and it likes it.
Has a very high pressure rating like Amsoil .My SRT also uses it and WallMart has a good price for it.

My stroker likes the Lucas Hot Rod Oil I feed her. I usually buy it from Summit. Not overly expensive and plenty of zinc.

Last edited:
If you don't want to use additives switch to a high-performance oil like Brad Penn or Royal purple.

VR-1 has always worked for me, though I only use straight weight, for the older engines. Broke my 440, and cam in with it, only additive used was ZDDPlus, recommended by Crower, whose cam I used. One time only on the additive.

Brad Penn here. By the way how often should you change oil if you only drive about 500 to 700 miles per year?

So, been reading some articles on the newer engine oils having less and less of zddp and or zinc, and the good stuff for older engines that run higher pressure valve Springs than today's motors.
I use Quaker State 10w40 in my 440 for years, but I am starting to wonder if I should be adding some zddp.
I e mailed Lucus and they recommended their muscle car oil or add their break in additive in.
No one sells this off the shelf around here, and the shipping cost makes online rather unpalatable.
In wandering around different farm stores and auto parts stores, the only additive I found that actually had ZDDP on the label was smallish 8 oz bottles of STP for 3.99 each .
?
Never used STP, always thought it was snake oil, all be it being more like Carmel than like oil.
Anyone have any recommendations other than bending over and paying for the shipping ?
Or am I worried about nothing ?
Thanks in advance

If you have a {Arnolds motors} anyplace near you they stock or will order in the lucus products for you. When I broke in the cam/ hyd lifters on my 440 I used the brad penn breakin oil , 100 miles later , changed oil and went with my old rotella 15/40 and a bottle of lucus additive. all seems fine 500 miles later.

Anyone have any recommendations other than bending over and paying for the shipping ?
I don't normally use additives.
But when I do, I use ZDDP Plus.

upload_2018-8-28_10-4-20.jpeg

Here is the bottom line
Do NOT add ZDDP to SN oils earlier oils OK SN takes a Calcium based EP additive
that said if you have been running many years you do not need any additive-let the oil company or blender put the additives in
The latest fully synthetic oils have greater film strength and do not need any additives
try a euro spec 0W-40 Mercedes 229 and BMW certified Mobil 1 Penzoil Platinum etc made from natural gas
WAlly world has for about $25 fir 5 quarts - I just read that their house brand oil filter is Wix same as NAPA
Don't like Wall Mart and I have a Pep Boys and other commercial accounts but can not come close to their price on this oil
Also use ATF+4 in your tranny even if it's not lock up Good stuff- much better than Dexron III and do NOT think of using DEX VI
no additives
ONLY substitute is Allison transend and best Transend compatible is Citgo Quatrosyn (Not Amsoil) Redline isalso OK
I've run full synthetics in every new car I've owned since the mid 80's with great success.
Just good old Mobil1, none of that multi-level marketing jazz you overpay for because it's "exclusive".

That said, the only time in my life I wiped a cam in a fresh engine was when I put synthetic in it.
That escapade is chronicled on these very pages somewheres...
BIG mistake. Won't do it again. Brand new purpleshaft, trashed on 3 lobes.
I also don't see the need for additives - the oil we use in our flat tappet engines should be chosen in no small part based on the levels of ZDDP and phosphorus they contain. There's plenty of brands out there that still make conventional oils
with the proper additive package for our engines.
Yes, even some synthetics probably - but I'm not going there, ever again.

Last edited:
Brad Penn here. By the way how often should you change oil if you only drive about 500 to 700 miles per year?
Once a year for me w/filter. I figure all the over the winter cold starts are contaminating the oil with gas anyways, so what the heck, might as well.

Broke my 440 in with Brad Penn 30 wt break in oil. NO ADDITIVE! The Penn Grade (aka Brad Penn) tech that I talked with says not to use any additive. It will change the intended formula and could be detrimental.

I'm coming up on 500 miles and it just started showing signs of a color change. I'm changing it today and installing 20w 50w Penn Grade (aka Brad Penn) along with a Wix 51515 filter.

In wandering around different farm stores and auto parts stores, the only additive I found that actually had ZDDP on the label was smallish 8 oz bottles of STP for 3.99 each .
Never used STP, always thought it was snake oil, all be it being more like Carmel than like oil.
Go tell Andy Granitelli that and see if you don't get a *** whoopin! STP has been proven for over 50+ years that it works. Please tell me, why is it that something that's made for race cars is snake oil on the street? Those are the worst conditions you can get in a auto bar none!!
I've used STP on everything, both old & new cars and even rebuilds break-ins for the past 45 years without a problem. Why do you suppose that is?? You all can piss your money away on the other guys, and I'll stick with my STP thank you!
BTW-STP has about 1000PPM ZDDP.

Comp Cams also has a "hot Rod" oil available. I've used it for years with no problems with my flat tappet hydraulic cam. Semi-synthetic, no additives necessary or recommended. The engine stays very clean inside. Change oil and K&N filter every 3,000 miles. $7.99 a quart. Cheaper by the case.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-1594

Go tell Andy Granitelli that and see if you don't get a *** whoopin! STP has been proven for over 50+ years that it works.
Wasn't STP and Granitelli sued by the FTC back about '73 for false advertising and paid the largest fine ever (at that time)?

Auto Transport Service
Back