• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zinc additive?

74gtx

Local time
8:49 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Sorry I’m not trying to beat a dead horse, I’m wondering how many of you use a zinc additive and if it’s a good or bad idea? I just used some for the first time and was curious what everyone else was doing. Thanks! Mike.

Amsoil 10-40 Signature has high zinc content. I use that.

I usually use car quest brand 10-30 full synthetic I guess it’s just convenient.I really don’t know what’s in it. She gets an oil change once a year generally before winter.

Zinc is necessary. Whether it be in oil, or in additive.

I've been using Driven racing oils for quite a while now, and I like them so far.

https://drivenracingoil.com/

F198641854.jpg

Flat-tappet or roller camshaft?

Thanks Tony. I wasn’t trying to start another oil thread to annoy anyone. It’s funny how when you get older you worry more about things that you never even considered when you hammered these cars when they were just another beater back in the day.

No oil manufacturer recommends any additive. It’s best to just get the right oil.

I use Valvoline VR1 10-30 Plenty of zinc for a street engine.

I go to the local G M. dealer and buy their Engine Oil Supplement (EOS) at the parts counter. It contains zinc. I add it to my Castrol GTX 10W40 at yearly oil change. 30 years and 65,000 miles on my 440 since its rebuild with no problems.

PennGrade or VR-1 here as well.
If you run a flat tappet cam, it's mandatory to have enough zinc (plus phosphorus if you're really
doing it right).
Oh and the reason why we never worried about such things "in the old days" was because all oil
had this stuff in it - federal mandates, supposedly founded on concerns of zinc damaging next-gen
catalytic convertors, made it so oil producers stopped adding it.

I use the Valvoline VR1 racing oil and also add a small bottle of zinc additive when I change my oil. Been doing it this way for over 10 years and my flat tappet cam is still going strong. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back