• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

.060" over 426 Wedge pistons

No, it's only been rough bored. It's a 4 speed car so no converter. I'm wanting to run 3.23's. Headers and Flowmasters for exhaust. I want a fairly aggressive sounding cam. It's not a drag car so I guess I really don't have any preference on RPM ranges. I just want it to be fun when I want to romp on it. I'd like to be somewhere in the 400-425 HP range.

Aggressive cam and 3.23's umm don't 'bout that? Tough on the clutch?

The car currently has 3.91's in it and I hate 'em. My old Satellite had 3.55's and I wasn't wild about those either. I want to be able to drive it on the highway. I guess if I have to back off on cam, I will.

Had 3.55's in my Satellite for years. Drove 350 miles to Buffalo Ny 70 mph 3100 rpm. Had a 64 Olds Starfire it came standard with 3.55's. There a good compromise, IMO.

you can make it work with any gears '
just shift down
but I'd like it to move when I step on the gas whatever gear I'm in
aggressive sound- tune the mufflers :)
power is in the heads--do not trade velocity for flow power band is more cam related and I do not like dropping 20+ ft lbs at 2500- you can feel it and use it there all the time

I'd aim for an engine masters type big flat power curve
I take it the budget does not allow a stroker crank - I'm a big stroker mcgurk fan
anyway- investigate heads first
did you mention intake? like performer and an AVS or TQ or third choice vac sec holly
this oldie but goodie article was just re-posted 13 years old
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/bb/550hp.html

a member on fcbo bought 426 pistons from carrillo for his 426 wedge . in fact he bought both pistons n rods from them . they make low n high bucks stuff now .

Anybody thinks that .060" is safe and .070" is not? If .005" on the wall will make or break it there's something wrong. If it sonic checked Ok the 440 pistons are a no branier. Cost, availability, win , win. I've run 426 blocks .100" over. Depends on the block.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back