• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

15/16" or 1 1/32" bore master cylinder?

@hunt2elk - Did you ever use a pressure or vacuum bleeder during those bleeding sessions, by chance?
No, just my wife or kids pumping the pedal as I manually bled them. They are getting annoyed with me and bleeding brakes however. I bought this Motive power bleeder late last fall and am going to use it on all my cars to see what happens. I got it because Kergdog had good luck with it.

20230323_153908.jpg

Last edited:
No, just my wife or kids pumping the pedal as I manually bled them. They ate getting annoyed with me and bleeding brakes however. I bought this Motive power bleeder late last fall and am going to use it on all my cars to see what happens. I got it because Kergdog had good luck with it.

You won't regret it. They're fantastic.

-Kurt

I just recently learned about Russel speed bleeder fittings. I've installed them and hope to do some easy solo brake bleeding with these in a few weeks. I'm surprised not more people talking about these on FBBO. No helpers needed as they have a built-in check valve to prevent air from getting in.

Brake Bleeders at Summit Racing

This is in response to Kurt’s post at #35. Consequently, it’s lengthy, and I apologize for that. But I hope it shares some good information in a clear and concise way. Please let me know if you see any mistakes, and I’ll gladly edit it. Thanks again to Kurt for his great summary of the posts and his clear writing. He's an example to us all.

1) The first thing my new buddy, Kurt, mentions is extra pedal travel associated with the 15/16” (I got it right this time!) bore master cylinder. I think that was mentioned earlier as well, so we seem to all agree that it’s a trade off. The smaller the bore in the master cylinder, the less effort for the same clamping force, but at the cost of pedal travel. That should be true regardless of manual or power brakes. Perhaps one person’s description of “spongy” might be just the extra travel. I know Kurt clearly described what he meant by spongy above. I’m not going to try to define everyone subjective terms. I’m just pointing out that one person might conjure up a different idea of “spongy” or “low pedal” than what the writer intended when using the term. I’m just acknowledging the vagueries we all deal with when trying to describe a feeling, sound, smell, etc. Moving on….

(2) The next point Kurt brought up is '73+ A body calipers vs. F/M/J calipers vs. B-body calipers. This is a good point. Tom Condran’s book (and R. Ehrenberg’s Disco-O-Tech article, and I think Frank Adkins's book) discuss two different brake caliper adapters (brackets): slider caliper adapters and pin caliper adapters. Each has two sizes (large and small). Most people run sliders because that’s what most Mopar-parts-based disc conversion kits use. That’s not because those are better than pin calipers, they are probably not. I’m sure someone will argue that they are better. I’m not getting into that argument, but I will say that the slider design is easier to use in a conversion because of the F/M/J calipers that change the hose attachment points. This allows the '73-76 A-body knuckles to be run on opposite sides if there are clearance issues. I’m an A-body guy, so for my ’72, it allows just that. Consequently, it allows for the normally front-mounted calipers to be mounted to the rear of the wheel.

Kurt also mentions other posts discussing large calipers. Most likely, this is the difference between the 2.6” single-piston A-body slider caliper, from 1973-75, and the 2.75” single-piston A-body slider caliper, from 1976. As Condran points out, “the larger bore calipers require less fluid pressure for the same amount of force. “[F]luid pressure is constant in any closed system. Pedal effort is thus inversely proportional to the ratio between the effective piston areas of the master cylinder and caliper.” In short, for this discussion, the main difference between “A-body calipers” and "F/M/J-body calipers” depends on year of caliper. The 1976 A-body slider caliper piston bore is 2.75”, the same as on the F/M/J slider calipers. So pedal feel should not be affected. However, if the A-body slider caliper is for 1973-75, the bore is smaller (2.6”), so pedal travel and effort will be different.

(3) As for the chart Kurt shared, from =Performance Handling for Classic Mopars, Tom Condran explains that the chart shows two different all-Mopar brake kits (that Chrysler never used all together) consisting of parts selected from the universe of all Mopar brake parts for that era. You can run those kits on any A-, B-, or E-body. He suggests the pin caliper design. But, if you’ll notice, the photo is only of a partial page. The cutoff text below the chart explains that there is one option to the chart: to use slide-mount calipers. He notes to use “’76 A-body, ’76-79 2-door B-body, or ’79-81 R-body slider calipers (or off F/M/J if hose fitting and bleed screw are at the same end. Use brackets [(adapters)] from any B-, F/M/J-, or R-body, with rotors the diameter of your new ones, plus flex-lines in the right length.”

Condran has other charts in the book as well. For instance, there is a chart which shows a much easier disc conversion swap for A-bodies. That chart says to to use the sliding calipers I just mentioned. It has some other changes as well. But Condran says that the best (not the easiest) brake kits consist of the parts in the chart Kurt provided.

Condran also points out that some other changes might be necessary to use this ultimate kit. For instance, for a 1972-earlier A-Body, using this kit requires bigger upper and lower ball joints. This requires some kind of change to the upper control arms. Condran’s 1998 book discusses using the 1973-76 A-body upper control arms. The book was written when lots of the required parts were in junkyards, and Condran goes into detail about how to identify and remove parts from the junkyard, recondition them, and install them on your car. In contrast, some modern kits for sale use the cheaper option of an adapter to install bigger ball joints on the old style upper control arms.

Condran also explains the anti-swaybar interference if trying to run forward-mount calipers on pre-1973 A-bodies, so he suggests swapping out the K-member to a '73-76 and the correlating anti-swaybar. Doing that would allow you to run both calipers styles (sliders and pin) in front of the wheel, as designed. Every modern kit I see uses the slider calipers instead because certain ones allow for rear-mounting the calipers. However, Condran, Ehrenberg, and Adkins all warn against this due to issues with routing the flex lines. I am not certain how these rear-mount caliper kits address the flex-hose routing. Nonetheless, whatever their fix is, it only works for sliders; it does not work with pins. (CAVEAT: my research focuses on A-bodies, so I may be incorrect about modern kits not using pin-style calipers for B-bodies. But I don’t think I am. Please correct me if I’m wrong).

(4) As for the larger rotors (11.75” vs. 10.85”), the only difference is the size of the rotor and the size of the caliper adapter (bracket) needed. As I mentioned, there are two sizes for each of the two types (sliders and pins). The only other necessary change is to run at least a 15" wheel.

(5) Kurt noticed the chart calling for the 15/16” master cylinder for power brake setups. This is one place where Kurt misunderstood the chart, and it’s an easy mistake to make if one has not read the book. Early in the book, Condran advocates for manual breaks, explaining multiple ways to reduce the pedal effort required for disc brakes, without using a booster. As I discussed above, one of those ways was using a 15/16” bore master cylinder. In the chart, Condran is simply pointing out that the master cylinder, for a '73-76 A-body power brake car, has a 15/16” bore. So that chart is a parts list. He is suggesting that master cylinder for use on a manual brake/front disc car.

(6) Lastly, I was not aware of the disagreement with Erhenberg over whether the F/M/J knuckles alters geometry compared to the '73-76 A-body knuckles. I think I can solve that issue right here and now, though. Those who disagree should just do the math, because math is either right or wrong. The truth is either it actually changes the geometry or it doesn’t. I will add only one more thing: as financially poor as Chrysler was in the late 70’s, I doubt they would have spent money on new engineering and changing parts unless they had to. I’ll leave that there.

I hope that clears some things up in my original post.

EDIT:
Condran also notes that fresh, single piston calipers are difficult to bleed completely. If experiencing difficulty, pull the clips and dismount the caliper. Insert a 1" chunk of wood between the pads, elevate the caliper above the hardline "up-loop," and hold it sideways with the piston at the top. Bleed the brakes and shake it every few pumps.

As for brake feel, he adds that, disc brakes change the feel of the brake pedal. Once completed, the pedal becomes firm at least one inch above the floor. Stopped, the pedal travels further and is softer, but in service they begin working high in travel and, unlike with drums, you will seldom apply full pressure to the pedal. If the pedal still goes to the floor, check rear brake adjustment because automatic adjusters are often either frozen or ineffective. Then recheck pedal height.

Last edited:
I am interested in the relationship between the master cylinder bore size and caliper piston size. My Scarebird kit uses smaller 2.5 inch calipers, so then the larger 1 1/32 master would provide more force, correct?

This is in response to Kurt’s post at #35. Consequently, it’s lengthy, and I apologize for that. But I hope it shares some good information in a clear and concise way. Please let me know if you see any mistakes, and I’ll gladly edit it. Thanks again to Kurt for his great summary of the posts and his clear writing. He's an example to us all.

1) The first thing my new buddy, Kurt, mentions is extra pedal travel associated with the 15/16” (I got it right this time!) bore master cylinder. I think that was mentioned earlier as well, so we seem to all agree that it’s a trade off. The smaller the bore in the master cylinder, the less effort for the same clamping force, but at the cost of pedal travel. That should be true regardless of manual or power brakes. Perhaps one person’s description of “spongy” might be just the extra travel. I know Kurt clearly described what he meant by spongy above. I’m not going to try to define everyone subjective terms. I’m just pointing out that one person might conjure up a different idea of “spongy” or “low pedal” than what the writer intended when using the term. I’m just acknowledging the vagueries we all deal with when trying to describe a feeling, sound, smell, etc. Moving on….

(2) The next point Kurt brought up is '73+ A body calipers vs. F/M/J calipers vs. B-body calipers. This is a good point. Tom Condran’s book (and R. Ehrenberg’s Disco-O-Tech article, and I think Frank Adkins's book) discuss two different brake caliper adapters (brackets): slider caliper adapters and pin caliper adapters. Each has two sizes (large and small). Most people run sliders because that’s what most Mopar-parts-based disc conversion kits use. That’s not because those are better than pin calipers, they are probably not. I’m sure someone will argue that they are better. I’m not getting into that argument, but I will say that the slider design is easier to use in a conversion because of the F/M/J calipers that change the hose attachment points. This allows the '73-76 A-body knuckles to be run on opposite sides if there are clearance issues. I’m an A-body guy, so for my ’72, it allows just that. Consequently, it allows for the normally front-mounted calipers to be mounted to the rear of the wheel.

Kurt also mentions other posts discussing large calipers. Most likely, this is the difference between the 2.6” single-piston A-body slider caliper, from 1973-75, and the 2.75” single-piston A-body slider caliper, from 1976. As Condran points out, “the larger bore calipers require less fluid pressure for the same amount of force. “[F]luid pressure is constant in any closed system. Pedal effort is thus inversely proportional to the ratio between the effective piston areas of the master cylinder and caliper.” In short, for this discussion, the main difference between “A-body calipers” and "F/M/J-body calipers” depends on year of caliper. The 1976 A-body slider caliper piston bore is 2.75”, the same as on the F/M/J slider calipers. So pedal feel should not be affected. However, if the A-body slider caliper is for 1973-75, the bore is smaller (2.6”), so pedal travel and effort will be different.

(3) As for the chart Kurt shared, from =Performance Handling for Classic Mopars, Tom Condran explains that the chart shows two different all-Mopar brake kits (that Chrysler never used all together) consisting of parts selected from the universe of all Mopar brake parts for that era. You can run those kits on any A-, B-, or E-body. He suggests the pin caliper design. But, if you’ll notice, the photo is only of a partial page. The cutoff text below the chart explains that there is one option to the chart: to use slide-mount calipers. He notes to use “’76 A-body, ’76-79 2-door B-body, or ’79-81 R-body slider calipers (or off F/M/J if hose fitting and bleed screw are at the same end. Use brackets [(adapters)] from any B-, F/M/J-, or R-body, with rotors the diameter of your new ones, plus flex-lines in the right length.”

Condran has other charts in the book as well. For instance, there is a chart which shows a much easier disc conversion swap for A-bodies. That chart says to to use the sliding calipers I just mentioned. It has some other changes as well. But Condran says that the best (not the easiest) brake kits consist of the parts in the chart Kurt provided.

Condran also points out that some other changes might be necessary to use this ultimate kit. For instance, for a 1972-earlier A-Body, using this kit requires bigger upper and lower ball joints. This requires some kind of change to the upper control arms. Condran’s 1998 book discusses using the 1973-76 A-body upper control arms. The book was written when lots of the required parts were in junkyards, and Condran goes into detail about how to identify and remove parts from the junkyard, recondition them, and install them on your car. In contrast, some modern kits for sale use the cheaper option of an adapter to install bigger ball joints on the old style upper control arms.

Condran also explains the anti-swaybar interference if trying to run forward-mount calipers on pre-1973 A-bodies, so he suggests swapping out the K-member to a '73-76 and the correlating anti-swaybar. Doing that would allow you to run both calipers styles (sliders and pin) in front of the wheel, as designed. Every modern kit I see uses the slider calipers instead because certain ones allow for rear-mounting the calipers. However, Condran, Ehrenberg, and Adkins all warn against this due to issues with routing the flex lines. I am not certain how these rear-mount caliper kits address the flex-hose routing. Nonetheless, whatever their fix is, it only works for sliders; it does not work with pins. (CAVEAT: my research focuses on A-bodies, so I may be incorrect about modern kits not using pin-style calipers for B-bodies. But I don’t think I am. Please correct me if I’m wrong).

(4) As for the larger rotors (11.75” vs. 10.85”), the only difference is the size of the rotor and the size of the caliper adapter (bracket) needed. As I mentioned, there are two sizes for each of the two types (sliders and pins). The only other necessary change is to run at least a 15" wheel.

(5) Kurt noticed the chart calling for the 15/16” master cylinder for power brake setups. This is one place where Kurt misunderstood the chart, and it’s an easy mistake to make if one has not read the book. Early in the book, Condran advocates for manual breaks, explaining multiple ways to reduce the pedal effort required for disc brakes, without using a booster. As I discussed above, one of those ways was using a 15/16” bore master cylinder. In the chart, Condran is simply pointing out that the master cylinder, for a '73-76 A-body power brake car, has a 15/16” bore. So that chart is a parts list. He is suggesting that master cylinder for use on a manual brake/front disc car.

(6) Lastly, I was not aware of the disagreement with Erhenberg over whether the F/M/J knuckles alters geometry compared to the '73-76 A-body knuckles. I think I can solve that issue right here and now, though. Those who disagree should just do the math, because math is either right or wrong. The truth is either it actually changes the geometry or it doesn’t. I will add only one more thing: as financially poor as Chrysler was in the late 70’s, I doubt they would have spent money on new engineering and changing parts unless they had to. I’ll leave that there.

I hope that clears some things up in my original post.

EDIT:
Condran also notes that fresh, single piston calipers are difficult to bleed completely. If experiencing difficulty, pull the clips and dismount the caliper. Insert a 1" chunk of wood between the pads, elevate the caliper above the hardline "up-loop," and hold it sideways with the piston at the top. Bleed the brakes and shake it every few pumps.

As for brake feel, he adds that, disc brakes change the feel of the brake pedal. Once completed, the pedal becomes firm at least one inch above the floor. Stopped, the pedal travels further and is softer, but in service they begin working high in travel and, unlike with drums, you will seldom apply full pressure to the pedal. If the pedal still goes to the floor, check rear brake adjustment because automatic adjusters are often either frozen or ineffective. Then recheck pedal height.

(1, 2) - To summarize then, anyone running 76+ A-body slider calipers or FMJ slider calipers should - theoretically - be running calipers of an identical piston area and experience similar results with the same master cylinder. Correct?

(3) - For the record, I mounted my calipers rearward (At least I think this was mentioned under #3 - sorry, writing this before I go to bed). Per recommendations on the forum, I used hoses from a '69 Camaro. Slightly different ends, but works perfectly.

FMJ at left, '68 B-body drum in the center, '69 Camaro at right:

icflickr.com%2F3%2F2814%2F33649946415_856e0b80fd_b.jpg

(5) - "That chart is a parts list." Got it now.

(6) - The FMJ (and 1973+ B) spindles are taller than the A and pre-1973 B's, and they also have 0.5 degrees of additional steering axis inclination built into them. This analysis sums it up quite well, as actual measurements comparing the two were taken: Spindle Comparison

Regarding the "EDIT:"

Condran's comments about bleeding might be the most important part of all, as it seems to be the least discussed. It would be really interesting to know who used a pressure or vacuum bleeder while setting up their system vs. their results. I dare say adding a pressure bleeder to my workflow when I put the FMJ master in the car might have eliminated an air pocket I wasn't aware of. Perhaps the rear-mount caliper configuration could have something to do with it? Just guessing at this point.

Incidentally - not that it'd necessarily result in a difference in pedal travel, but what bed-in procedures have each of us done, and how well has it gone? I pulled one of the wheels off my '68 recently (after the last time I posted here) and noted a pattern of uneven wear on the surface of the rotor. If I had to guess, it looks like material transfer from the pads - perhaps an indication that the pads never bedded in correctly?

20230319_135536.jpg

20230319_135540.jpg

Also, apologies for the distraction - ideally I'd like to keep the chat focused on the master cylinders.

-Kurt

In 2005, Bill Reilly mapped the alignment of an A body using the stock 73-76 A body spindle and the 73-89 BFMJR spindle.
Check this out:

73-76 Disc A spindle:

Align 2.jpg

73-89 BFMJR spindle, 3/8" taller.

Align 3.jpg

Yeah, the geometry is different but not enough to be a problem.
Overall, the A spindle is better. The Toe changes LESS during suspension travel. It has more caster gain during dive and the camber gain is greater as well. The BFMJR spindle is not terrible but the numbers are not quite as good. I suspect that most drivers couldn't tell the difference between the two in how their cars drive.

Stumbled in to this thread while doing some research.

I have a 69 Hemi Charger. Running the 71 and later B-Body single piston pin type calipers up front from the day I got it versus the stock 4 piston calipers, this with the factory stock 1 1/8 bore master cylinder coupled with the Hemi only power brake booster. Never liked it, I couldn’t get the car to lock up the wheels, always felt I would be in trouble in a panic stop. Part of this is I run a pretty large cam with a low vacuum at idle, so an added variable.

After messing with it over and over, I decided to try the 71 and later 1 1/32” bore master cylinder found in E-bodies and B-bodies. Just got done doing the swap, large difference. I feel that I can stop the car now in a panic stop and am clearly putting more pressure to the front disc. Pedal travel was comparable, though I was very careful to set the power brake booster pin at the right distance using a brake booster adjustment tool for that which I didn’t have before (so getting that closer could be a variable in my favor). I figure it works because the 1 1/32 bore was the actual factory match for the calipers in the car now.

I also use the Motive Power Brake pressure bleeder set up, that is really great and works well!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back