• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

15 inch jeep rims

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:03 AM
Reaction score
What is the possibility of Cragar 15" rims from a jeep cherokee fitting on a 71 Charger ? Actually I believe they are 15x8. 3.75 back space and 3.25 bore, 5x4.5 bolt pattern

Last edited:
What is the possibility of Cragar 15" rims from a jeep cherokee fitting on a 71 Charger ? Actually I believe they are 15x8. 3.75 back space and 3.25 bore, 5x4.5 bolt pattern
93-98 Cherokee was 5 hole, 4 1/2" bolt circle. 1999-2023 they were 5 hole, 5" bolt pattern.

The XJ started in 1984 with the 5 on 4 1/2. The wrangler started in 1987 as the YJ and then the TJ which also had the same wheel size.

I have tried this. They will bolt onto the back, but they hit the tie rod and wont roll. Too much back spacing. Wheels were from a stock 1988 xj.

Were there Cragar brand wheels on Jeeps of that era?

I tried some nice, star type Jeep wheels in the JY, on a M body Chrysler to see if they would work on my older cars.
They fit and rolled without hitting anything, but the front hub bearing stuck through the small center hole in the wheels and the wheel's cap wouldn't go on.
Too bad, as they looked great.

The wheels in post #8 should fall on a 71 charger, front or rear or both. 4.5 backspace for an 8" rim is almost perfect, and universal.
EDIT: WHOOPS! Misread the listing 3 3/4 bs is much less desirable than the 4.5 I thought it said. That said..... they should still fit on a 71 charger, you will
probably have to run a little smaller tire then a 4.5 bs would allow.
If you had a 67 b-body? No, and no.
(I've got a couple pairs of desirable 70s vintage one piece mags, that are almost unusable on my cars. 3 1/2 b.s. on a 15x8.5 wheel. Too close to the fender to mount a tire wide enough for the wheel width. Would probably work fine on a 71 charger)

Last edited:
Well, I bought them. They are in almost new condition. $100 for the set of 4. I think $ 25 each is a good enough price to experiment. The idea is 275/60-15 in back and 235 or 245 up front. I do have 1 inch spacers for the front if needed. We will play with it when I am cleared by my Dr for working again, still on concussion protocol. My wife and seller put them in the car for me.

Well, I bought them. They are in almost new condition. $100 for the set of 4. I think $ 25 each is a good enough price to experiment. The idea is 275/60-15 in back and 235 or 245 up front. I do have 1 inch spacers for the front if needed. We will play with it when I am cleared by my Dr for working again, still on concussion protocol. My wife and seller put them in the car for me.

I don't know anything about Jeep wheels, but assuming they are actually 15x8 (actual 9 inches total) and 3-3/4 backspace, and you are at stock ride height, you are going to rub the outer lips both front and rear on bumps with your planned tires.

My 72 had 15x8 Keystones with 265 50 tires in the back.

They fit fine, but I don't remember the backspacing.

They actually looked perfect in those cavernous wheel wells.

Last edited:
My 72 had 15x8 Keystones with 265 50 tires in the back.

They fit fine, but I don't remember the backspacing.

They actually looked perfect in those cavernous wheel wells.
But see, that's the thing! It's all about backspacing! If you have the right backspace, you can fit big tires. If you don't, you can't.
If you have too much backspace, that can be fixed with spacers. If you have too little bs, tires get too close to the fender, and don't fit.
Example: let's say you have a 4.5 bs, it's correct, and you can put on a ten inch tire. If you have the same wheel width with a 3.5 backspace, it's an inch closer to the fender, and you have to make the tire an inch narrower on the out side, so TWO inches narrower than the ten inch tire that fits on the right rim.

I got a deal on 245/60-15 Cooper Cobra's. Looks like those will be good enough for now ! I did a test fit of the rims. No issues. We will see with the tires on them.

P.S. the actual measured backspace on the wheels is 4.0 inches, so only 0.5 from stock.

Last edited:
Everything is all installed. I love the look ! There were zero issues, everything fit with no rubbing anywhere.

Thanks everyone for the imput !

Please attach pictures.
You should know better Matt

Auto Transport Service
Back