• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

17" Wheels for stock '68 4 spd 383 Roadrunner going track racing

BostonElfjr

Local time
2:08 AM
Reaction score
107.JPG

I have a 68 RR totally stock 124k survivor 383 / 4 Spd / drums / manual brake / Bench. Its going racing around the NYST just for one day in late June. I have been there once before running 14" 215/75/14 Coker redlines, and yes it was fun but kinda disastrous screeching my way around the track. I kinda ruined those tires....

I wish I had tons of money to throw around to upgrade power and lighten the car etc etc, I have to find a quick solution to enhance the track potential ( although limited) of my car. With limited funds I can afford Tires & Wheels and maybe a Hotchkis front sway bar.

Andy Finkbeiner's "B-Body Performance Upgrades" describes 235/55/17 tires suitable for track - 27" diameter but a lot stiffer sidewall for cornering. The Cooper Zeon RS3-S tires @ 125 a piece seem perfect. Racers in here have mostly said "keep all 4 wheels the same dimension".... I suppose thats right:

Cooper Zeon  RS3_S.jpg

The challenge is to find a suitable 17" Wheel not breaking the bank, preferably Aluminum. So 17" with 5 x 4,5" bold pattern then.. and... 7" or ( 7,5" would be best? ) wide ? Should I have 4,5" backspacing ? I have no clue here, I seem ok reading theory but here I really need your help ! :) I care less about the looks. I'm going racing and just need something that works ! :) Thanks for any help and advice ...on what and where to get them :)

Last edited:
I read somewhere that it's easier to find 18" tires at a reasonable price than 17". Something to do with 18" being more common. So, you should compare tire size and price before you commit to a wheel size. You might save some money.

I read somewhere that it's easier to find 18" tires at a reasonable price than 17". Something to do with 18" being more common. So, you should compare tire size and price before you commit to a wheel size. You might save some money.

The Cooper Zeon RS3-S 235/50/18 tires are more expensive @ 150 a pop, so I think I will stick with that size wheel. Seems its easy enought to find 17 X 7 wheels and yet for the tire the optimum would be 17" x 7,5"

I have 17x9 "0" offset on my Bee with tons of room.Just put Nitto 255 50 on rear and 255 45 on front and corners/drives nice .Tire size is getting limited in 17's and was considering 18x10 with 275 40's all around, but cheeped out and stayed 17,s.I like the US wheel models in this size.Prior to the NITTO tires I had Federal SS595 for 10 years and they drove real nice Too for a budget tire.The Federals didn't seam to tramline as bad as the NITTO.

IMG_0128.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back