• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

18" wheels on 1969 Road Runner

Any pic updates with the wheels mounted?

34gq15h.jpg

here is mine, had to go with 18s to clear the wilwoods. i tried to go with the biggest side wall. i don't like the rubber band look. 18x8.5 front 18.9.5 rear. none taken RC, we all can't be the same, what fun would that be.
i got 4.5 on the front an 5.75 in the rear for back spacing. you might get by with the 6 in the back but i think you will have a problem with the front. jmo

Hey usa, what size tires are you running here ?

Don`t care if it offends, 18" wheels suck on any classic car !
And opinions are like :carrot:, everybodies got one. Point is when you see a thread titled 18" on a 1969 Roadrunner and you hate 18"s just move on, it's the polite thing to do. There's lots of things I don't like but I respect the persons taste and comment on the workmanship.

And opinions are like :carrot:, everybodies got one. Point is when you see a thread titled 18" on a 1969 Roadrunner and you hate 18"s just move on, it's the polite thing to do. There's lots of things I don't like but I respect the persons taste and comment on the workmanship.

Waiting patiently for those 13+" brake kits that fit anything less than 18" wheels. I'm sure factory 14" wheels, drum brakes, and Polyglas rubber' would really compliment my Hotchkis suspension.

Last edited:
Waiting patiently for those 13+" brake kits that fit anything less than 18" wheels. I'm sure factory 14" wheels, drum brakes, and Polyglas rubber' would really compliment my Hotchkis suspension.

Do you have a full Hotchkis setup? I have essentially the same with a mix of parts from various vendors. I do want to eventually put on bigger brakes/wheels/tires as well.

There was a Forgeline wheel I really liked, now I found an HRE wheel I like even more. Very costly though....

Glanced at your avatar and thought maybe our old friend Propwash was back.

Thought about asking him to change it up as that avatar is already been "reserved" on this site . . . Haven't seen Propwash in a long time - Bummer . . .

By the way H2E - sure is nice to see you back around !

Thought about asking him to change it up as that avatar is already been "reserved" on this site . . . Haven't seen Propwash in a long time - Bummer . . .

By the way H2E - sure is nice to see you back around !
Just can't seem to stay away Larry. To many good people with a wealth of knowledge around here. Also just got the Duster completed so will be back on the hunt for a 69 4-speed Bee.

I'm old school.....I cannot understand the infatuation with the large diameter wheels and tires. To my taste, i prefer the 15" wheel tire combo that came with the car.
There is one aspect that none of the "big tire/wheel" proponents seem to take in considerstion is wheel/axle bearing loading.....larger wheels and tires add considerably to the radial and axial forces the front wheel bearings (especially the outboard bearing) must carry. True, tapered bearings are great for radial and axial loads (and to a lesser degree rear outboard axle bearings) but bearings have limitations to their capacities. The bearings will run hotter perhaps to the point of lubrication failure. Years ago, while commuting to work, I experienced an front outboard wheel bearing failure.....ruining the spindle, both bearings, brake drum, brake backing plate, shoes.....the right front tire and car parted company......all without warning. It would be my opinion to review your wheel/tire combination to make sure the respective bearings are not overloaded. BTW..I was using a high temp synthetic bearing grease when the bearing failed. CAVIET EMPTOR. ..definitely applies....
Bob Renton

It's not so much infatuation but more of a performance upgrade if one so chooses. It's like saying you need to stick with the stock heads and not even consider aluminum heads to keep it old school. Keeping the stock exhaust manifolds and not considering headers. Intake manifold, carburetor (or efi), camshaft, pistons, transmission... it's a list that never ends. Each person gets to decide what they want to do with their car, be it for performance and or looks.

I'm old school.....I cannot understand the infatuation with the large diameter wheels and tires. To my taste, i prefer the 15" wheel tire combo that came with the car.
There is one aspect that none of the "big tire/wheel" proponents seem to take in considerstion is wheel/axle bearing loading.....larger wheels and tires add considerably to the radial and axial forces the front wheel bearings (especially the outboard bearing) must carry. True, tapered bearings are great for radial and axial loads (and to a lesser degree rear outboard axle bearings) but bearings have limitations to their capacities. The bearings will run hotter perhaps to the point of lubrication failure. Years ago, while commuting to work, I experienced an front outboard wheel bearing failure.....ruining the spindle, both bearings, brake drum, brake backing plate, shoes.....the right front tire and car parted company......all without warning. It would be my opinion to review your wheel/tire combination to make sure the respective bearings are not overloaded. BTW..I was using a high temp synthetic bearing grease when the bearing failed. CAVIET EMPTOR. ..definitely applies....
Bob Renton
Ummm, O.K. :bs:

Car weighed 3,800 lbs before and after larger wheels so the load changed how:realcrazy:... my tires did quit buckling under around turns making it feel much safer? So far over 12,000 miles without so much as a hiccup with 18s and 19s but I do really enjoy blowing by guys like yourself on the twisty roads or cruising by them on the freeway at 80 mph only turning 1,800 rpm while they're screaming at 3,500 rpm doing 65 mph all because I chose to IMPROVE my ride. Opinions are like :carrot:, I build my cars to drive and build them for me just like you do yours, difference is I don't poke you for your 15s. :lol:

It's 2 totally different crowds, there's the guys that like what they grew up knowing and there's the guys that like all around performance and nothing wrong with either one.

I swore this thread clearly said 18s on a Roadrunner... why do so many that disapprove keep opening it just to say how much they dislike it:realcrazy:. Oh well, enjoy.

Auto Transport Service
Back