• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Coronet R/T

Red63440

Local time
11:30 AM
Reaction score
Went to look at a 67 R/T today that has been raced in the past. The hump was cut up but I was told it was an original 4 speed car so I'm not sure why it ws cut. Original 67 440 was pulled but I noticed it had 906 heads on it that look fresh. He had 2 4 speed transmissions sitting on the floor and the car has a dana under it. Inner fender wells had been cut previously but had patches welded over them, rear tubs are intact and have not been cut although the rear hangers are off-set. Body is very nice, has a few small dents and one on top of the left fender that should pop out and the hood has a Hemi scoop on it. It looks like the owner had placed all the removed parts such as seat belts, radio and speaker, arm rests and bases, etc.,etc. on shelves for safe keeping and I think he was in the process of putting it back together as stock when he died. All glass is good, all trim is present and in pretty nice shape other than one piece on the edge of the front fender which is dented. Trunk is solid but I found a small patch about 6"x6" on each side, can't find any reason for them so I'm not sure why they are there. Battery tray is mounted in the center of the spare tire well. Vin checks out and it was built at Lynch road. Any idea as to value????

Attachments

• P1010032.jpg
    P1010032.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 416
  • P1010034.jpg
    P1010034.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 411
  • P1010036.jpg
    P1010036.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 421
  • P1010042.jpg
    P1010042.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 451
  • P1010040.jpg
    P1010040.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 405
915 heads were correct for that year/model...only year 440 had chrome valve covers with attached looms....drum brakes...nothing special about the car except being an R/T...should have a dana 354 in rear as all 4 speed cars (R/T) dana's were standard...would lead a person to maybe believe a true 4 speed car...(other things besides rearend confirm 4 speed) Alot of money to restore....I would stay between 3 and 4k..no higher...that's considering no other deficiencies

Actually 915's were available in C-bodies also, just with the smaller valves. Optional 4:10.1 were also available for that year with the 4 speed. As I stated the body other than the inner fender wells and the 2 small questionable patches in the trunk floor, it is all original. It doesn't need quarters, front fenders or any floor sections. Interior is complete and from what I have seen so far is in pretty nice condition. Everything is there for the interior and dash, just needs installed again. All the original emblems are on the car and in very nice condition and the bumpers are straight. There are factory chrome valve covers on the original engine along with the factory air cleaner. He has parts for the car in two locations and I only was able to get ot one location today. I do know that there are a lot of parts there, many of the factory parts are mixed with the racing items. The car was done old school and as stated I think he was in the process of putting it back on the road when he passed away. I did one of these several years ago so I know what it takes to make one right but times have changed.
The yellow one was the one I restored...

Attachments

• Straight%20and%20smooth.jpg
    Straight%20and%20smooth.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 355
  • Clean%20Bottom.jpg
    Clean%20Bottom.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 353
  • Sweet.jpg
    Sweet.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 385
  • block%20sanding.jpg
    block%20sanding.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 366
  • Fresh%20skin.jpg
    Fresh%20skin.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 353
915's were on R/T and GTX in 67 exclusively...410 was not available until 1969

The smaller valve closed chamber head in 67 were 516's.

According to the books valve sizes on the 915 heads were 2.08 and 1.74 on the HP heads. Tell me where the 915 heads came from with 2.08 and 1.60 valves. I bought a set of 915's with the smaller valves and had 1.74's installed.

Factory Castings

Since the 1967-78 heads are the most readily available, and the most commonly used in street performance applications, we will limit our discussion to these heads. The year 1967 was significant for Mopar big-block heads with the introduction of the 915 casting, identified by the last three digits of the casting number. The 915 was a performance-minded redesign of the big-block head, featuring revised ports while retaining the closed-chamber configuration (typical factory chamber volume of 78.5 cc) of the earlier 1964-66 big-block heads. The 915 casting was found only on the 440ci big-blocks, as the 1967 383 engine retained the 516 castings of the previous year. In standard form, the 915 was fitted with 2.08-inch intake valves, and the same small 1.60-inch exhaust valves found in the older 516 heads. The year 1967 also was when the 440 Magnum engine was introduced. In step with the performance requirements of the Magnum, the engine’s exhaust valve size was increased to 1.74 inches, a size used successfully in some earlier high-performance packages.

Over the years, confusion and mythology arose around the 915 casting, and it mistakenly became known as the 1967 440 Magnum head. This same head was also found on all 440s in 1967--from your old man’s 440 New Yorker to the boss’s 440 Imperial. The only difference was the smaller exhaust valve in the non-Magnum engines. A throat cut and the bigger exhaust valve evened the score. For 1968, the big-block cylinder head was modified again. The new 906 head was identical in port configuration to the previous year’s 915. However, the 906 was cast with open combustion chambers (typical factory volume 88 cc). Also, the smaller 1.60-inch exhaust valve, which had been fitted in standard engines, was discontinued. The 1.74-inch exhaust valve now was used in all B/RB heads. Despite the popular misconception that the 906 head was exclusive to the 440 Magnum and the new-for-1968 383 Magnum, it was actually used across the board, with the same valve sizes in all big-block engines for 1968. From the 383 two-barrel to the 440 Magnum, the heads were unchanged. Some of this confusion can be attributed to Chrysler’s advertising of the day, in which the 383 Magnum was heralded as "coming with the 440 Magnum’s free-breathing cylinder heads." What the mavens on Madison Avenue weren’t telling was that the standard 440, the 383 2V, and all passenger car big-blocks had the same 906 heads with the same valves--although the Hi-Po Magnums came with stiffer valve springs fitted. With the exception of some industrial, heavy truck, and motorhome application castings, this one-head-fits-all philosophy was carried through the end of big-block production in 1978.

Read more: http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/5115_cylinder_heads/index.html#ixzz1gqx1fC1l

Any of the race stuff included in the sale?

I say 6K-ish

Any of the race stuff included in the sale?

I say 6K-ish

I am not sure yet, I will be talking to him more after the holidays.

Actually 915's were available in C-bodies also, just with the smaller valves. Optional 4:10.1 were also available for that year with the 4 speed. As I stated the body other than the inner fender wells and the 2 small questionable patches in the trunk floor, it is all original. It doesn't need quarters, front fenders or any floor sections. Interior is complete and from what I have seen so far is in pretty nice condition. Everything is there for the interior and dash, just needs installed again. All the original emblems are on the car and in very nice condition and the bumpers are straight. There are factory chrome valve covers on the original engine along with the factory air cleaner. He has parts for the car in two locations and I only was able to get ot one location today. I do know that there are a lot of parts there, many of the factory parts are mixed with the racing items. The car was done old school and as stated I think he was in the process of putting it back on the road when he passed away. I did one of these several years ago so I know what it takes to make one right but times have changed.
The yellow one was the one I restored...

That yellow is one of my favorite colors, especially on these early cars! Very nice find on that 4sp car, harder to find those now. Congrats. Glad someone like you grabbed it before another environmentalist had it crushed and sent the metal to china to have them build another TV stand for one of us to buy at Walmart. lol.

915's were on R/T and GTX in 67 exclusively...410 was not available until 1969

That yellow is one of my favorite colors, especially on these early cars! Very nice find on that 4sp car, harder to find those now. Congrats. Glad someone like you grabbed it before another environmentalist had it crushed and sent the metal to china to have them build another TV stand for one of us to buy at Walmart. lol.

I didn't buy it, I am just helping a relative sort through all the parts to make sure that everything that was from the car stays with it. The only way I could consider it would be if I sold my 63, I just don't have the room for two cars.

If any of the spare parts are up for grabs, please keep me in mind. I have a list of stuff I could use.

If it was in FL, you could have my 6K for it. Good luck and keep us posted.

I will keep all informed as to what takes place and what parts are available.

I had a set of 915 heads years ago...they had the smaller exhaust valves...

Bryan

The car is sold but all the guy is taking is the car and the original parts. This will leave all the goodies including the cross ram with carbs, a fresh built 440 race engine (1969 HP block) and many more parts. He is to get back to me shortly to set up a time to go through what is left. :headbang:

So...what did it go for....?

Auto Transport Service
Back