• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 charger pic's im lost please help

xowii1968charger

Local time
11:50 PM
Reaction score
Thanks in advance I am trying to put together my mother in laws 1968 charger with 383 automatic with a/c Im just looking for pics of things like how wires and hoses are ran under the hood and what brackets are needed on battery cables hoses ect... I did not take this car apart just have to get it back to gather for her. If any one has any detailed under hood pics that would be great i want it to look original :confused:

Go to Muscle Car Restorations . com and look at the TONS of pictures of the many B body Mopars they have rebuilt, for sure you will find pics of how it all goes together.

Here's a couple of engine compartment pictures

68 Coronet RT Engine  1.jpg

68 Coronet RT Engine 3.jpg

So many places to make mistakes. One thing I notice on Chargers, is that people run the headlight hoses inside the plastic retainers. They route along the top of the wheel well, if that is the right term--the place where the fender tag attaches. They just sit there. Another thing, is that the positive battery cable goes over the master cylinder, or brake booster, not under it. Some repro cables are too short, and under may be the only way to get them to fit.

383/440 engines with air conditioning have a dual snorkel air cleaner.

Go to www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner.htm this shows air cleaners for cars upto 1975.

Hmmm...I believe the early 383 '68' Chargers all had the dual snorkel air cleaner until Chrysler decided to install all unsilenced (round) air cleaners on all the 383's. In '68 the 440's always had an unsilenced air cleaner (there was no noise reduction package). Even with A/C the mid and late model '68 383's had the unsilenced air cleaners.

Dan

Hmmm...I believe the early 383 '68' Chargers all had the dual snorkel air cleaner until Chrysler decided to install all unsilenced (round) air cleaners on all the 383's. In '68 the 440's always had an unsilenced air cleaner (there was no noise reduction package). Even with A/C the mid and late model '68 383's had the unsilenced air cleaners.

Dan

Edit - Nicks site is a great resource, but it is not Gospel. He is always looking for photos of original equipment/unrestored cars to learn all he can about their
air cleaners, and to update his site with the most correct information available.

Dan

Not ALL 383s. In fact the majority did not have that small unsilenced unit.

According to the pictures of the engine line up in my original 1968 Dodge Dealer Data Book, The 383 2 barrel had a single snorkel and the 4 barrel had a dual snorkel. There is no picture of the H.P. 383 in the Charger section. The Super Bee was a late introduction in the model year and had a special added section in the Data Book. The 383 H.P. engine shown there is the small unsilenced type that was also used on the 440 Magnums. The 383 H.P. was also installed in Chargers when it became available in the Super Bee. There is also a note that when a Super Bee has air conditioning it would receive the 330 h.p. engine rather than the standard 335 h.p. engine. In that case the engine would have the dual snorkel rather than the unsilenced one.

One thing to remember is that a lot of the pics in the factory brochures were of PRE-production cars, cause they had to be available before the cars. Things changed, and those brochures can't necessarily be trusted

Not ALL 383s. In fact the majority did not have that small unsilenced unit.

According to the pictures of the engine line up in my original 1968 Dodge Dealer Data Book, The 383 2 barrel had a single snorkel and the 4 barrel had a dual snorkel. There is no picture of the H.P. 383 in the Charger section. The Super Bee was a late introduction in the model year and had a special added section in the Data Book. The 383 H.P. engine shown there is the small unsilenced type that was also used on the 440 Magnums. The 383 H.P. was also installed in Chargers when it became available in the Super Bee. There is also a note that when a Super Bee has air conditioning it would receive the 330 h.p. engine rather than the standard 335 h.p. engine. In that case the engine would have the dual snorkel rather than the unsilenced one.

Interesting comments. First, my comments were directed only at the '68 Chargers. I see where my wording was a bit confusing. They came with the dual snorkel originally on the early units. Second, I don't believe it was a factory option to have the 335 h.p. HP motor for the Charger. Never say never with Chrysler, though, as a few could have slipped out. I would love to see factory documentation on that. Third, I can believe that a Super Bee with A/C had the dual snorkel as a factory item. :imho:

I don't resume to know everything about the '68 Chargers. I do want to, but that takes a lifetime to achieve. I have at least 30 years to go. Keep it coming! :yes:

Dan

Interesting comments. First, my comments were directed only at the '68 Chargers. I see where my wording was a bit confusing. They came with the dual snorkel originally on the early units. Second, I don't believe it was a factory option to have the 335 h.p. HP motor for the Charger. Never say never with Chrysler, though, as a few could have slipped out. I would love to see factory documentation on that. Third, I can believe that a Super Bee with A/C had the dual snorkel as a factory item. :imho:

I don't resume to know everything about the '68 Chargers. I do want to, but that takes a lifetime to achieve. I have at least 30 years to go. Keep it coming! :yes:

Dan

There are a number of factory examples existing. Doug Hammer has info on them.

Wow, you guys really did deep.

You ever think about taking up a job as an IRS Auditor? :grin:

Wow I had no idea one post triggered this. I know that '69 Chargers have the dual snorkel air cleaner for 383/440 Magnums. It would be great if there was a 68 Charger Registry so someone could keep this information on tap.

Wow I had no idea one post triggered this. I know that '69 Chargers have the dual snorkel air cleaner for 383/440 Magnums. It would be great if there was a 68 Charger Registry so someone could keep this information on tap.

No, 68 440 Magnums had the small unsilenced black wrinkle painted air cleaner just like the later Super Bee 335 h.p. 383s had.

We'll leave it be and mark it as "controversial" as clearly it is! (for '68s)

696pack I was talking about '69s not '68s, it seems strange to me, that the 440 with A/C wouldn't have a dual snorkel air cleaner like some 383s but that is how Mopar did it... oh well!

Auto Transport Service
Back