• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Charger R/T Intake Manifold & Carburetor Question...

mikeynonos

Local time
5:04 AM
Reaction score
Good evening,

Hoping to get a little help here. Currently redoing a '68 Charger for the original owner and I have some questions regarding the carb and intake. The car has the factory cast iron intake as well as the factory Carter AVS 4429S carburetor. The owner was looking to add a little bit of an upgrade (as well as less weight) by swapping out the intake for one that is aluminum. I had posted a WTB ad here but found out he actually has a CH4B he bought from Direct Connection back in the '70s.

Here is my question. He would like to keep the choke set-up installed. The CH4B does not appear to have any provision to mount the divorced choke assembly. I have found electric choke conversions, but they state it still needs the divorced choke pad to mount it, plus they call to drill and tap a hole on the factory carburetor which I am sure is not an option for the owner. Does anyone know of a way to make this work? I know I can purchase an Edelbrock Performer and it has the spot for the divorced choke, but if it can be done using the CH4B, that would be preferred.

Thank you!

241.jpg

I see a possible problem. In the pic, you can see the PCV port. Either side, are four alum plugs, one large & a smaller one underneath. The small plug hides the idle mixture screws. They are factory pre-set. Idle speed is controlled by the LH thread air screw above the PCV port, in conjunction with the throttle stop screw. A really pathetic arrangement, for emissions.
If you change intakes, or anything else that might affect idle, you might not be able to get a good idle.

You can pry out the alum plugs to access the mixture screws. My experience is that if there is any corrosion [ the screws are steel ], they will not move. If you can get them moving, you can use them or replace with std screws. The last carb I did, I warmed up the area with a heat gun & dribbled ATF down onto the screws. Once cooled down, the screws moved but were tight, some sort of sealer on them.

There is a Mopar Performance M1 intake Manifold P4529117 it looks the same as the original intake on the outside, it has the same height, it's made of aluminum and it has an operating range up to 5800 RPM
It's no longer produced but you could possibly find one for sale.

I see a possible problem. In the pic, you can see the PCV port. Either side, are four alum plugs, one large & a smaller one underneath. The small plug hides the idle mixture screws. They are factory pre-set. Idle speed is controlled by the LH thread air screw above the PCV port, in conjunction with the throttle stop screw. A really pathetic arrangement, for emissions.
If you change intakes, or anything else that might affect idle, you might not be able to get a good idle.

You can pry out the alum plugs to access the mixture screws. My experience is that if there is any corrosion [ the screws are steel ], they will not move. If you can get them moving, you can use them or replace with std screws. The last carb I did, I warmed up the area with a heat gun & dribbled ATF down onto the screws. Once cooled down, the screws moved but were tight, some sort of sealer on them.
Thank you for the tip, Geoff.

There is a Mopar Performance M1 intake Manifold P4529117 it looks the same as the original intake on the outside, it has the same height, it's made of aluminum and it has an operating range up to 5800 RPM
It's no longer produced but you could possibly find one for sale.
Thank you, Orig. I was hoping to use the intake the owner already has and just update the carb to use an electric choke...just not sure if that will be possible.

Thanks again, Orig69. I spoke with the owner of the car this afternoon and he has decided to sell the CH4B intake manifold. We will purchase either an intake like you shared or a Performer 440, so he can retain the original carburetor.

the performer 440 intake choke well is fixed for the thermoquad electric choke mechanism. i'd look for an edelbrock 750 with electric choke and mount it on the ch4b.

it is possible to mount a an edelbrock electric choke on a factory avs. i've put factory chock mechanisms on edelbrocks and it works fine so doing a "reverse" type install on a factory carb will work. to do this you may have to tap some choke mount holes already cast into the carb body and remove to the vacuum pull off tube. if it were me i'd just search out an edelbrock carb and not mess up the factory avs which in my opinion is more valuable than any edelbrock.

the performer 440 intake choke well is fixed for the thermoquad electric choke mechanism. i'd look for an edelbrock 750 with electric choke and mount it on the ch4b.

it is possible to mount a an edelbrock electric choke on a factory avs. i've put factory chock mechanisms on edelbrocks and it works fine so doing a "reverse" type install on a factory carb will work. to do this you may have to tap some choke mount holes already cast into the carb body and remove to the vacuum pull off tube. if it were me i'd just search out an edelbrock carb and not mess up the factory avs which in my opinion is more valuable than any edelbrock.
The plan is to retain the factory carb, without modification, and purchase the Performer 440. I would assume the factory AVS should be able to mount up just fine with the divorced choke, or am I mistaken?

Nevermind....I just double-checked Edelbrock's website, and they state is is able to use the OEM 4-barrel carb or a 4150 style.

The plan is to retain the factory carb, without modification, and purchase the Performer 440. I would assume the factory AVS should be able to mount up just fine with the divorced choke, or am I mistaken?

Nevermind....I just double-checked Edelbrock's website, and they state is is able to use the OEM 4-barrel carb or a 4150 style.
look carefully at the performer intake. it's designed for the thermoquad and factory thermoquad electric choke. you can mount any square bore carb on it but the issue will be setting up the mechanical pre-thermoquad choke. doable, but do you want to? ch4b with 1411 edelbrock; bolt on and drive.

Auto Transport Service
Back