• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Coronet 500 Project

Solid work! May I ask why you didn't paint the 3rd Member black?
Hi,
Because my "Mopar B-Body Restoration" book says only the axle tube, brake plates and sometimes the spring hangers were black. Plus I liked the look of the contrast :) I am using the book as a guideline but willing to bend the rules since I am not using a correct '68 body color.

Jim

great looking car ! nice work also I just picked this one up last week at carslile 1969 coronet 500 with 80/90 percent of it's orig.paint 383 h code car w/a/c ,am/fm buckets all #'s matching

SANY0025.JPG

Nice! That is all I wish this one had, the big block.

Mind if I ask the price?

Jim

Wasn't feeling good this morning but decided I could lay around feeling miserable in side or go out and feel miserable while getting some work done. I put the wheels back on and pushed it outside and hit the front fenders and underbody forward of the torsion bar cross member with Aircraft Stripper and power washed it once more. Pushed it back in the garage and proceeded to strip the front suspension out and started removing the remaining undercoating with the heat gun and filler spreader. Tomorrow more undercoating stripping with the heat gun and starting to sand and wire brush to prep for epoxy primer. With any luck I will have the front fenders epoxy primed by the end of the weekend. I am dreading sandblasting the front suspension parts in this Arizona sun and heat again...

DSC_0010.jpg DSC_0013.jpg DSC_0016.jpg DSC_0011.jpg DSC_0014.jpg DSC_0012.jpg DSC_0015.jpg

Last edited:
Spent the day stripping the paint in the fender wells. Used the same procedure as I outlined here earlier. Don't quite have the drivers side done yet. Ran out of steam.

DSC_0012.jpg DSC_0014.jpg DSC_0011.jpg DSC_0013.jpg DSC_0015.jpg DSC_0010.jpg

A "friend" of mine stopped by and dropped of some toys! The reason he is just a "friend" is notice there is no sign of him when it is time to use these toys :)

DSC_0016.jpg

This has to be one of the top 5 best days ever! I am done stripping undercoating off the Coronet….. I will never do that again without a Rotisserie or something. It is not bad using the heat gun and scrapers IF you don't have to be on your back… The problem is I did not start out to do this much work. It is just the more I did the more I wanted to restore. The other lesson learned is if your going to do it go it whole hog. Trying to do it piecemeal is not worth it. Strip the body down completely and start from the bare shell. It is better in the long run.

DSC_0020.jpg DSC_0002.jpg DSC_0021.jpg DSC_0003.jpg DSC_0022.jpg

Last edited:
great looking car ! nice work also I just picked this one up last week at carslile 1969 coronet 500 with 80/90 percent of it's orig.paint 383 h code car w/a/c ,am/fm buckets all #'s matching

View attachment 350381
Score! Congrats on a beautiful car with all the right stuff.

Took my own advice and finished pulling out the AC box, steering column, brake peddle/booster, emergency brake peddle, Air vent and plenum hose. I also noticed now I have the undercoating scraped there are about a dozen more pinholes in the passenger and driver floorboards that I need to weld up…. I hate welding…..

Every night this week put in a couple of hours stripping the front inner fenders and engine bay down to bare metal with DA scratches for the epoxy primer to grab on to. I am so close to being finished wire brushing and course sanding to bare metal I can taste it. If I ever decide to do this again and I choose a car with as much sheet metal as this boat somebody shoot me….

The level of detail and speed with which you're doing it all blows my mind! Awesome job & thread!
Mamma's car is outside while I do this restoration. If mamma's car is still outside when the cold weather comes mamma is not gonna be happy…. I gotta git'er done!

Cold enough. We are at 5000 ft. We get a few snows and nights in the teens.

Finally finished welding (knock on wood). Welded up the pinholes in the drivers floorboard. After which they were ground down and to make sure there are no pinholes I sealed the underside with fiberglass filler and sanded "most" of it off. A bright light under the car and looking at the inside make sure there is no light coming through pin holes.

DSC_0003.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back