• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Coronet RT

Best way to install both, from the bottom.

I agree - IF you have the the K-frame off. To take off the K- frame now would be much more work than installing from above. Besides I don't have the room to do that in my garage, so after removing the K - frame the car would be stuck outside. A week ago I had hail that dented my daily driver.

Big setback. While picking up the engine and trans at about a 45' angle, the rear main oil seal started leaking. Pulled the trans, bellhousing, clutch, and flywheel to pinpoint the leak. Upper right corner of the main seal. So now pull the pan, redo the seal, put everything back together and I'll be back where I started this morning. The only slight saving grace is that it would have been a lot worse to discover the leak after installing the engine and trans.

Big day! Slipped in the motor, with the trans attached. Started out not knowing if it was possible, ended the day saying that was easy. The biggest problem was getting the trans support installed. I had to have frame caps welded in, and the added width made getting the support on a bear. After hours of grinding, elongating holes, pushing it on with a jack, bending, hammering, and swearing we got 3 of the 4 bolts in. Will have to get the car up on a hoist and drill new holes through the cap and frame to get a bolt through the last hole. Discovered that the shifter handle hits the dash. I am addressing that problem in the trans forum. Got the hood put back on. Included in the pics is one of my pit crew. Sure feels good to have that huge hole under the hood filled. Had to crank on the torsion bar adjustment bolts quite a few turns to get the nose up after adding all that weight.

7271.jpg 7272.jpg 7273.jpg 7274.jpg 7275.jpg 7276.jpg

Installed coil, thermostat, water pump, alternator, crank pulley, and fan pulley. Found out the power steering pump brackets I have 2 pair of are both wrong for my engine. Put on the air cleaner just for encouragement.
7293.jpg
7295.jpg

Got in the clutch z-bar and all clutch linkages. Found some PS pump brackets, and after getting the pump in, just as anticipated, the pulley with the space in between won't work. Bought a pulley at the local mopar dealership, but it is no good either. Got another place to try to get one.

I have no idea why the PS pump was such a problem. The only reason I can come up with is this engine should use a Federal pump, but I don't think that makes much sense. I figured out that I needed a double pulley for the crank with no space between the pulleys. Couldn't find one until yesterday. I found a triple pulley that measured correctly using the second and third pulleys from the damper. I put it on and both belts looked straight. Then I saw that the fan pulley and the crank pulley were touching. I was at my wits end when I realized I could move the pump forward by grinding down the spacers on the front bracket. I got enough shift forward to match up with a pulley with a space between the pulleys.
Put in the radiator and hoses. Ran rubber lines from the tank supply and return gas lines to the fuel pump and vapor separator. Because of the water pump housing having the lower radiator down tube on the passenger side, I had to make a spacer out of 3/8 pipe to make the vapor separator mount correctly.

831.jpg
832.jpg
833.jpg
834.jpg

Put on heater hoses. Installed battery tray. Connected battery cable to starter. Tried to hook up the throttle cable, but it looks like it is the wrong one. Bought a battery and coolant. Wow, a group 27 battery sure is big. Trying to figure out what PS pump hose will work. Good news is I can take off the PS belt and still try to fire up the engine.

The patient has a heartbeat!! Worked today to finish the last things needed before fire-up. Got and installed a new, correct throttle cable. Gapped the plugs. Put on the exhaust manifolds. Put in fluids. Put in the oil dipstick. Installed the engine wiring harness. Got and installed a new engine to firewall ground strap. Ran a gas line from the carb to the vapor separator. Hooked up the battery. Turned the key and crickets. No juice inside car. It's getting late (I am running only exhaust manifolds, in my backyard), I ran a wire from batt + to the coil, jumped the starter relay with a screwdriver, and after some carb cleaner spray down the carb the beast came to life.

Two steps forward, one step back. First the bad news. Discovered the exhaust manifold stud nearest the firewall on the passenger side is leaking coolant. Looking on the bright side, there is a lot more room to work on the right side of the engine due to the lack of a steering gear. Got the front and rear stainless trim clips on, in anticipation of the windshields being installed. Checked the dwell, 20', should be 37 - 40. Put gear lube in the trans. Ran a hose from the intake manifold to the power brake booster. Got in a PS pump hose, not correct, returned PS pump hose and have another (hopefully correct) coming in tomorrow. Monday was the first time since I got the car that the engine ran. Today was the first time it moved without me pushing it. Drove it in and out of the garage a couple times. Running rough ( hope that is only the dwell being off), but it sure sounds good running straight exhaust manifolds. I doubt the neighbors share that opinion.

PS pump hose is installed. Took off the exhaust manifold with the leaky stud. I thought it was going to be near impossible to get it out by double nutting. It wasn't even tight. Unscrewed it by hand, coated with sealant, and no leaks so far. Found out I had no electricity in the car because the ammeter wires were not hooked up. I mentioned in an earlier post that the shifter handle was hitting the dash. My buddy had one in his garage, and brought it over with the linkage. The shifter handle was the same, but the shift mechanism was a little different. Traded them out, and then the handle was almost too far back to the buddy seat. Not bad with the armrest up, but hard to shift with it down. The pic shows the trans in fourth (that better be an intimate buddy). As I was shifting to see if the position of the handle was ok, I lost reverse gear. I thought, well I put in a new mechanism, so the linkage needs adjustment. Nope. The reverse gear finger had previously broken off, and was welded back. The weld broke. The windshield I ordered last week and was supposed to be in yesterday is still not here. One week till Woodward Dream Cruise. Not positive I'll make it. Still have to have full exhaust system installed, front end alignment and front and rear windows put in.

882.jpg
883.jpg

Got the front and rear windows installed. That sure makes a difference in the look of the car. Put the unbroken shift mechanism back in. Tightened down the motor mounts. Put in the oil dipstick tube, which has a bracket that is held by one the motor mount bolts.
891.jpg
892.jpg

Had smoke come from the turn signal switch. Melted it. Thought the short was in the switch. Bought a new one and same thing, except I was watching for it, and no damage to the switch. Found out the 2 wires going to the right stop light are shorted. Couldn't go any further because the car went to the muffler shop. I will miss the open manifold growl, but I bet the neighbors won't. Got to back it down the driveway and into the street for the tow truck. Hoping my proof of insurance comes in the morning, so that while the car is still at the muffler shop I can use that time to get it registered and get plates.

Had smoke come from the turn signal switch. Melted it. Thought the short was in the switch. Bought a new one and same thing, except I was watching for it, and no damage to the switch. Found out the 2 wires going to the right stop light are shorted. Couldn't go any further because the car went to the muffler shop. I will miss the open manifold growl, but I bet the neighbors won't. Got to back it down the driveway and into the street for the tow truck. Hoping my proof of insurance comes in the morning, so that while the car is still at the muffler shop I can use that time to get it registered and get plates.

Awesome!! It's starting to get real... Almost like a car or something....

Auto Transport Service
Back